Responsibility of road users?

The news and your views about biking
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Responsibility of road users?

Post by Deegee »

Just ignoring Civil rights etc for a moment, does anyone else believe in what I know as Social Responsibility on the roads?

I'm talking about the person that drives his car on a busy national speed limit road at peak times and is doing 35mph, preventing everyone behind him from getting home/work on time, or horses being ridden under similar circumstances. Cyclists using roads instead of cycle ways or trucks using narrow lanes just to save 5mins journey time that force other drivers and riders to reverse for hundreds of yards etc and cause jammed traffic and yet more delays.

I know all of these things are completely legal and the offending characters are within their rights to do as they wish, but does anyone else get annoyed at the complete lack of thought for others displayed by these people? I know I'm just a grumpy old man moaning about modern life, but with just a small amount of thought the road system could be a much nicer place to be.

Has anyone found thoughtlessness by others screwing things up for you on the roads?
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Responsibility of road users?

Post by Kwacky »

There's a general lack of civility and politeness and too much entitlement. Everyone seems too caught up in what they care allowed to do rather than what they should be doing.

Manners cost you nothing but make the world a better place.

This morning I sat behind several cars stuck out in the 3rd lane because they were doing slightly more than 70mph so were entitled to be there (in their opinion). Other daily favourites I see are people blocking box junctions, not letting cars merge when there's a reduction in lanes and parking across traffic lights because they're on green - stopping others from turning right.
R34PER
Your Bike: Yamaha XJ6-N

Post by R34PER »

My most major annoyance is Mr and Mrs 1 speed.... 40mph in a 30 zone, 40mph in a 40 zone, 40mph in a 50 zone, 40mph in a 60 zone....Dickheads.
coupled with those who back up the traffic by almost stopping at every corner or slight bend in the road they meet then proceed to put their foot down to stop you passing them on a straight (I notice this most when I'm in my other halfs little 1.2 small car lacking the grunt to make the pass in these situations).
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

people on phones and txting while driving is what gets me mad
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

While we're ranting......

Bikers who think they can filter, but aren't really comfortable with it so they stop and start and are clearly not confident but they carry on despite a quicker rider being behind.

MOVE OUT OF MY WAY. Let me get on with it. I hate being held up by these people. If I want to risk throwing myself under a lorry that's my look out, but I can make that gap you've been staring at for the last 10 minutes.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

people who dont understand box junctions! GRRRR!
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Anyone that uses their brakes on the motorway
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Spudda
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650 aka 'Doris'

Post by Spudda »

Deegee wrote:Just ignoring Civil rights etc for a moment, does anyone else believe in what I know as Social Responsibility on the roads?

I'm talking about the person that drives his car on a busy national speed limit road at peak times and is doing 35mph, preventing everyone behind him from getting home/work on time, or horses being ridden under similar circumstances.
On a single carriageway A road, a HGV is only allowed to do 40mph by law ....
The A41 from through Shropshire to Cheshire is a nice fast A road with long sweeping bends.
There's a food processing plant in Market Drayton and all dairy wagons deliver to it.
IMHO its dangerous .... these HGV's aren't in the wrong but other road users are taking increased risks to get around them.
It's Nice To Be Important BUT Its Important To Be Nice ©
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

All of the above piss me off hugely, and I agree it's the "entitlement attitude" that breeds it.

I suffer from all of the above, and on top of that I have my own personal one to add.:
I live at the end of a country lane about 4 miles long.
It is one car wide, and is two way.
There are "passing places" (little laybys) about every 1/2 mile, randomly.
There are huge wide grass verges along a good length of it, and at least a mile of it is "Roman Road straight".

Soooo

Bicyclists who ride in the middle of the road @ 15mph for 4 miles, because "they have as much right as a car".
Cars who do not use the passing places, stop 10 meters past one and expect you to reverse the 1/2 mile back to the one behind you.
Bicycles who will not move off the road when a car is approaching.
Horse riders that ride on the road, when there is a 3m wide flat grass verge.
Car drivers who, when I pull over into a passing space & wait for them to pass, drive on with out even acknowledging my presence, let alone gesture their thanks for my inconvenience.
Ignorant twunts who use those passing places as picnic stops, chomping as the watch the resultant Tractor-vs-car standoff (& then leave their discarded MacDonalds /KFC packaging strewn on the ground)

Common courtesy, it seems, is just not very common these days.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

What a bunch of grumpy old bastards we are. :D

Its pointless getting too worked up about these things as none of it will change.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

People moaning annoys me. :p
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

^ Ha ha.

Road manners, impatience has increasingly got worse... people seem to think they are able to do what the fecking want while stuck in their can!!!!!
I am not perfect, and I have to try very hard not to react, but sometimes the urge really does get the better of me. Yes we should let it go.

I have on a few occasions gestured for the offending muppet to stop so we can have a chat!!!! As the situation has got the better of me. I am not proud. Most dont stop, they are more than happy to give abuse from the safety of their vehicle, rather than having a chat about it!

I have come unstuck before ha ha, next ride out remind me about Mr brick wall in transit...ha ha ha ha that should have taught me a lesson ha ha.

But I do try to just let it go! if they drive, act, behave in this way, why are they going to stop being this way! :(
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Smokers is another one. They seem to be as much of a distraction as phones. Even on the bike I get to smell it. And then why do they insist on throwing the butt out of the window and littering aswell.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

You know why they do it. Because they are ignorant pigs.

Sorry to any porkers reading this, I didn't mean to insult you by comparing butt-throwers with you.