Snetteron Track day

The news and your views about biking
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Snetteron Track day

Post by Frankie »

Today I was on track with Kingfixer at Snetterton, we drove there straight after the GP, van was loaded and ready to role. KF's new blade and my new track bike...which is KF's gixer 600. I will let Mick explain about his day which was not very good. Dont panic no coming off or anything like that.

So woke up and the sun was out, cant wait, first outing on the bike, was a little concerned about the race set up for the gears, all back to front for my liking, but I gave it a go, more of that later.

So into the briefing, open pit all day, awesome stuff, then he goes onto say I will keep it short, as you guys are advanced, inters, racers here... Oh Shit, nobody told me that!!!!! This is going to be bad, I will get in the way.

Well to say I was nervous was an understatement, oh yeah and Chris Walker was there, to do some sessions in the class room as it were, I did not get to do this, even though I wanted to it did not happen, too busy on track ha ha.

So time to get out on track, trying to pick my moment when the fast guys, which seemed to be most people came in, lol. got out, first time on the bike, strange being on the 600 after the RR, but I have to say after some issues with the gears, like hitting the righthander by the scary tree in 4th not second, I was carrying a little too much speed, needless to say it was not a smooth move ha ha. So into the pits, changed to road set up and went out again. AWESOME... loved it, was trying to pick people to follow and speed up, which work in two ways, pulled me along a little better, but forced me to look further into the curve, rather than as I do, I look to close to where I am, not where I am going. Then the rain came, oh bugger. Had lunch and decided I wanted to get the wets on, did this and went out, again chasing others, I was flying (as far as I was concerned) I really loved it, full wets on, rain coming down, but the bike was awesome, even Chris Walker who was walking in and out of the garages all day, ask me if I was going out. My reply was since I have changed the wheels, which were giving me a little grief, too right I am going out ha ha. I was out for ages, ran out of fuel, but managed to limp back, filled her up and I was gone again ha ha. Today was one of the best days I have had on track.

Poor Mick I am sure he will be along at some point with a full update. Did not really take any pics and the camera guy did not show up, so no photos.... Jack if you read this, call MSV and offer them your services mate could be some business - Possibly? if you are looking.
Frankie

Re: What did you do to your bike today ??

Post by Frankie »

Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: What did you do to your bike today ??

Post by Kwacky »

That deserves its own thread IMO

Glad you had a good day
Frankie

Re: Snetteron Track day

Post by Frankie »

Thanks mate, Yeah I guess you are right :)
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

Those pics of Frankie's is the nearest the blade got to the circuit today ;( :D .
Got there in good time found the garage we were sharing with the other lads and proceeded to unload the van, got the bikes out on the stands fired them up and remembered to put Frankie's baffle in, great all ready. Switched the bikes off went to see someone else came back and the bike wouldn't start...flat battery. Bought a charger off the guy selling his wares in the paddock, got it sarted then went to get it noise tested, the bike felt really odd like it was really underpowered then the front wheel just locked up I had to wait a few minutes till it cooled down then the wheel would turn again, very odd !!.
Brake related obviously but couldn't see a problem, any way chris walker pops in with his mate and asks what's the problem and suggests I take some of the fluid out of the resevoir, tried this but the same result stuck in the car park whilst the brakes cooled down.
Took the LH caliper off as we thought that was the offending bit stripped it cleaned it and tried that ..same problem stuck in the car park again |(
Any way after a while chris walkers mate came back and explained he is a mechanic for the Milwaukee BSB team !!! And said he would look at it for me, fitted new pads put new brake fluid in etc etc , said give it a whirl and he left thinking it was done but believe it or not it was still the same.
As I was walking about I bumped into him and he asked how it was said no different and he was gobsmacked !!. Anyway lunchtime came and me and Frankie went to the cafe.
Bumped into him again with chris walker walking out of the cafe and said he had solved the problem, the brake lever that was on was the wrong one and the pin wasn't fitting properly so not releasing any pressure, he had got a standard lever off the guy in the paddock off his own back and fitted it and said when I went back I owed him £15 for the lever.
What an absolutely top bloke and a gent, he said he hates to see people not getting out on track when they are having problems !!!
That was the morning wasted then it rained all afternoon and I didn't take my wets so that was it. Absolutely fecking waste of a Track day !!!!
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

That's crap news to read. There's little worse than looking forward to a track day and then having no track time.

It was good of Walker and his mate to help out though.

The master cylinder pin was the issue with my brakes. I thought they weren't bled correctly.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

First off I'm glad you had a great day Frankie, I've been caught in the wrong gear at the "scary tree" a couple of times myself, I've not fully adjusted to there being a hairpin there. Snetterton is great track to ride now and a good 600 can easily have the better of the thou's on the infield section, sounds like you were holding your own in a fairly quick group of people, on a new bike that's hard to do. (nod)

Mick I'm really sorry you had a rotten day, but really heartened to hear of someone pitching in to help, I've met some of the nicest people at trackdays, it really confirms my faith in the biking community hearing things like that. Better luck next time is all I can really say. (y)