Brexit thread

Topics covering world politics and political events. To hide this section go to your control panel and join the group "Hide Politics"
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Brexit thread

Post by Kwacky »

I've been contemplating moving away from Facebook. This is helping to swing my decision.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:I've been contemplating moving away from Facebook. This is helping to swing my decision.
The problem is not the provider. Now Facebook have announced the switch others will follow suit.

Consider, the majority of large service providers as US based. They have to implement a special framework to contend with the EU's data protection rules as they are the strictest in the world, they also have to ensure that all data complies with those regulations (massive human cost). If you didn't need to why would you do that for several million users that you could shift over to your preferred/native/less regulated system.

Expect to see Microsoft, Google, and AWS follow suit. Interestingly as these guys also provide platform services this could see UK providers who are based on these platforms being also required to shift their data compliance to the hosts governing standards. This will be entirely at odds with EU standards and may well cause issues with data sharing between the UK and the EU.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Bob T
Your Bike: 2021 BMW R1250RS, 2017 Ducati 939 Supersport, 1967 Ducati 250 Mk3, 2021 BMW S1000XR (hers)

Post by Bob T »

The fishing industry might seem like a small thing but what the UK wants is against the basics of the EU
Let us just say, as an example fish type X is mostly caught in UK waters and mostly consumed in mainland Europe. At present any EU/UK boat can go fish for X as UK boats can fish for Y in EU waters.
What the UK seems to want is to exclude EU boats from catching fish X and then with the almost exclusive rights to fish them to also sell them to the EU consumers. That is unfair competition in that only the UK boats can catch them.

Then there is the trading club known as the EU. The UK used to be a member but longer is, it still wants to trade but does not want to abide by the EU trading rules, nor does it want the trading club to enforce the rules through their European Court. It just wants to trade. If there is no oversight of the club trading rules then who will know if the UK is playing by them? Boris has already agreed to stuff then changed his mind and broken international law in doing so.

The UK seems to think that the EU cannot survive without little old UK, we will see.

I remember when the UK voted for brexit all the brexiteers were telling everyone that other countries would follow, I don't see any.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Bob T wrote:The UK seems to think that the EU cannot survive without little old UK, we will see.
The majority of the oldest generation think this way from all the conversations I've had locally. So do many of the younger Vote Leavers.

I absolutely don't see it that way and the UK is giving itself the gun to shoot itself in every foot and orifice.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55329570" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Hornby boss said the political leaders engaging in trade negotiations "aren't living in the real world".

"We as a country, we're shuffling the deck chairs as the Titanic is sinking. People who are having these talks just don't understand how the real world operates. They think at the last minute they can come up with a solution. People are going to be losing jobs."

Many UK companies have spent the last few months stockpiling goods and materials imported from abroad to mitigate against possible disruption to trade and supply chains at the end of the year. Mr Davies said he began "over-shipping" Hornby products months ago.

If it wasn't so serious it would be laughable.

I see furlough has been extended until the end of April too. They may as well make it all of next year for the amount of business sense the Government have.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Project Fear.

From an article in March 2016

But the British government has warned that two million British expats in Europe could be adversely affected in the event of an Out vote. Their right to free healthcare and their basic right to work could both be jeopardised, a Cabinet Office report says.

Campaigners to leave the European Union have dismissed the report's findings as "scaremongering", part of what they see as a long-term strategy by the government which they have dubbed "project fear". It aims, they say, to persuade voters to stick with what they know and remain inside the EU.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics- ... m-35688387" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Also Project Fear

https://news.sky.com/video/kent-trucks- ... 0-12165809" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Photoshop ;)

Just the beginning sadly.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Brexit: Ministers to treble number of foreign fruit and veg pickers to ease fears of rotting harvests
Exclusive: Plan to allow in 30,000 seasonal workers a year – despite past claims that UK staff would plug the gap
(facepalm)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 75742.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
duke63

Post by duke63 »

The Brexit Johnson and Co promised is completely undeliverable and always was. We are just about to find out how much they were lying.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

duke63 wrote:...... We are just about to find out how much they were lying.
Don't you think that "we" ( being those who voted against brexshit ) always believed that there was nothing to genuinely be gained.?

Whilst the extent to which their claims of "££ millions for the NHS" and all the other land of milk & honey enticements would look likely to be laid bare,,,,
Kwacky wrote:.... sadly those in favour of Brexit will continue to deny it was a bad choice and look to blame all of its failings on the EU.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

There is a part of me that wants the first few months of next year to be so shit that there is a big move to link up with the EU again and Boris is sacked.

Unfortunately the cost of that is probably to high to make it palatable.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I think our economy is tanked anyway.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

At least when we're well and truly fvcked there's a strong emergency fund to keep us afloat...
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Talks between the UK, Gibraltar and Spain that would allow the territory to enter the Schengen area with free movement at the Rock’s crucial land border are well advanced, according to reports in the Spanish media.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

So we've got a deal. They'll be meltdowns from all corners.

But we've got a deal. I'll take that as a positive; we've not alienated the EU, which was my bigger fear. At least now we can build on that. I suspect we'll see our relationship with the EU ebb and flow depending on who is in charge at Number10.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

I'd also take it as a big positive, it's effectively a very long extension to the process though IMO. I bet there are a lot of details still to be written up and agreed.

Is it still to be ratified by the European leaders and our own parliament? I'd read articles about hardcore brexiteers in the Tory party trying to block any deal made?

Had the fat lady sung yet ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

duke63

Post by duke63 »

Should send Farage and the ERG into apoplexy which is a big bonus.

I don't honestly believe we could have survived long without an agreement. It would have meant a fundamental change to the way the UK did business and a massive loss of jobs in the worst peacetime trading in generations.

Its been obvious for ages that Johnson was intending to do a big deal with Trump and sideline the EU completely. Trump being booted out put an end to that and a complete change of plan required
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It's a 2000 page document, which needs to go before Parliament. It also needs to go before each EU member state.

The ERG have said that they intend to block it, but I don't think they've got the numbers. Labour are likely to back it as they know what No Deal means.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Hopefully all the twatish MPs will now have to go into work over the Xmas holidays.

We should also see how many have totally disregarded the Tier 4 rules as they return from their country piles. Even the Sun found out that Sunak did a runner from London less than 24 hours before the Tier 4 was introduced. Surely he should be working 24/7 at the moment to make sure the money doesn't run out.