General Election 2019?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: General Election 2019?

Post by Kwacky »

The Express reckons that the middle class, middle aged vote is moving toward the Tories but I really can't see that being the case.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Doesn't The Express always say that?? That's their target audience, yes?
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Kwacky wrote:The Express reckons that the middle class, middle aged vote is moving toward the Tories but I really can't see that being the case.
It always has been the case in my experience talking to people from that demographic.

I will be very surprised if the Tories don't win.

I really hope they don't.

I think I would like a Labour SNP coalition to be honest... Sturgeon would be good for Corbyn
TriumphFan
Your Bike: Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Post by TriumphFan »

I agree with jamelia ( singer from yesteryear), who dared to say that people over a certain age shouldn’t be allowed to vote, as they don’t have to live with their shot choices for too long....

I do think everyone should get to vote of course, but her statement made a little (some may say a lot) sense to be fair.

When it comes to Brexit and independence votes, I would tend to agree even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

D41 wrote:Doesn't The Express always say that?? That's their target audience, yes?
The Express is about as reliable and believeable as Boris Johnson.
Cav

Post by Cav »

TriumphFan wrote:I agree with jamelia ( singer from yesteryear), who dared to say that people over a certain age shouldn’t be allowed to vote, as they don’t have to live with their shot choices for too long....

I do think everyone should get to vote of course, but her statement made a little (some may say a lot) sense to be fair.

When it comes to Brexit and independence votes, I would tend to agree even more.
I agree with this but feel it should be weighted in favour of those who are employed under the age of 60.
D41

Post by D41 »

What??
So you have to be working & under retirement age in order to vote??

What madness is this??
TriumphFan

Post by TriumphFan »

And have never been in prison!

D41

Post by D41 »

Well, they shouldn't be allowed to vote while they're inside!!!!
But given a certain period of good behaviour after release...not on parole, etc....I don't see why not.

A lot would probably depend on the crime they were convicted of.
TriumphFan

Post by TriumphFan »

To be fair, I doubt a lot of those who have spent time at her majesty’s pleasure would care too much about something as valuable as voting.

My partial agreement with certain ages voting or not, is that I would rather the kids of today (and their kids) i.e. the ones who will still be living with our decisions in years to come, are the ones who are uppermost in any decision on how to vote on matters such as Brexit and independence. I don’t think certain generations think like this and would rather base their vote on going back to the good old days!!!!

General elections come round every 5 years (or annually as it feels just now), so yeah, let the old codgers have a shot then.

duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

The Express also says every October that the coming Winter will be the worst on record.

They are as reliable as a fishnet condom.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

And just for interest:

Did you know that between a quarter and a third of all British citizens have a criminal record?
Cav

Post by Cav »

D41 I'm saying I agree but don't think it is democratic to remove people's vote "because they're going to die soon anyway"... instead I feel a weighted system in favour of those who contribute to the economy and have to endure the consequences of any decision made following a vote.

I.e. everyone get's a vote but someone of working age, in work and paying both national insurance and income tax has a vote worth 1.5x more than a scrounger with 7 kids or a retired person over average life expectancy.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Cav wrote:D41 I'm saying I agree but don't think it is democratic to remove people's vote "because they're going to die soon anyway"... instead I feel a weighted system in favour of those who contribute to the economy and have to endure the consequences of any decision made following a vote.

I.e. everyone get's a vote but someone of working age, in work and paying both national insurance and income tax has a vote worth 1.5x more than a scrounger with 7 kids or a retired person over average life expectancy.
So who gets to decide a person's worth? What if that "scrounger" with seven kids is a poet or a writer? How will you measure it?

We live in a democracy, everyone should get a vote even the Boomers!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Monty

Post by Monty »

What we really need is a Blade Runner style cull somewhere around 50 :D

Monty™© MCMLXXII
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Contributing to society would be a better measure than contributing to the economy but it’s impossible to measure.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

It’s amazing how those who are the biggest user of NHS services are those who vote for the Party that would prefer to run it down.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Monty wrote:
Cav wrote:D41 I'm saying I agree but don't think it is democratic to remove people's vote "because they're going to die soon anyway"... instead I feel a weighted system in favour of those who contribute to the economy and have to endure the consequences of any decision made following a vote.

So who gets to decide a person's worth? What if that "scrounger" with seven kids is a poet or a writer? How will you measure it?

None of what you said is opposing my view......

Everyone should get a vote but I think it would be fairer if those who are younger and contributing to the state (rather than taking from it) have a stronger vote. Why is it fair for old people to vote to destroy what younger people are still working for when they won't have to suffer the consequences
Monty

Post by Monty »

Cav wrote:
Monty wrote:

None of what you said is opposing my view......

Everyone should get a vote but I think it would be fairer if those who are younger and contributing to the state (rather than taking from it) have a stronger vote. Why is it fair for old people to vote to destroy what younger people are still working for when they won't have to suffer the consequences
No, I am opposing your view, even if I agree with the sentiment. I **** hate what certain generations have done to this country, but we can't have a democracy where one person's view is worth more than another's. That's just not a democracy.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Imagine confusing Logans Run with Bladerunner.