Guy Martin to Retire end of 2015

Professional and amateur racing chat and results WARNING - MAY CONTAIN RACE RESULTS
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Guy Martin to Retire end of 2015

Post by Kwacky »

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of- ... -1-7098328" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will this year’s TT be Guy Martin’s final competitive appearance at the event?

That’s the suggestion made in an interview piece in the sports supplement of The Times, which appeared inside Saturday’s edition.

A hugely successful TV career has made Martin a household name – but it appears the resultant fame is making life uncomfortable.

In the article, the 33-year-old tells Rick Broadbent, the author of TT book That Near Death Thing: Inside the Most Dangerous Race in the World: ‘I need to have a rest and re-set. My job is a truck mechanic and I’ve taken my eye off the ball. The TV stuff has knackered my racing too. Not in results – last year’s TT was one of my best – but I didn’t get five minutes. I used to go racing for fun. Now it’s hard work.’

Addressing the issue of the dangers involved in competing, he said: ‘I don’t mind the dying, but not if I don’t know why I’m doing it any more.’

Since making his TT debut in 2004, nearly-man Martin has claimed seven second places and been third eight times.

In December, the Bennetts Bike Social website reported how Martin was ready to retire from road racing before learning his Tyco TAS Racing team would switch to BMW machinery for the 2015 season.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: Guy Martin to Retire end of 2015

Post by Blade »

Hard one to call TBH. he has said for a long time if he wins a TT he will retire and this year has to be his best chance. But saying that if he does win maybe that will ignite the bug for more victorys.

Who know's ? I doubt Guy himself will know until late June after the TT.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

H'es said this morning that he is still thinking about it but it looks like he'll be dropping a few races at the very least.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I know he had a big falling out with the IOMTT organisers a few years ago. They expected him to do promotional stuff for the TT without asking him first.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Its a hard one to call. Guy is a character and a talent and risks his life racing motorcycles but he is famous because of the IOM TT so deserves to give something back which I'm sure he gladly would. I guess the problem came about as the TT organisers assumed his support rather than asking for it which is bad manners and wrong and perhaps what got his back up with them.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Didn't Stoner kick off about people booking him in for PR events? A few riders and racers have done likewise. Like Blade says, you have to give something back.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I m not sure about Stoner tbh, but imo all high profile sports people in all fields of sport need to be a little more humble about the privileged position there in and who ultimately funds their wages and creates the interest in their so called celebrity status.

Some people do that very well, some don't, although in fairness to GM I think he does do it quite well.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Guy gives the impression of being very personable and approachable. You can see why he's so popular.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I have heard him make comment that he struggles with all the attention, and would prefer to shy away from it, however as you say he is very approachable and accommodating which makes him a very decent guy in my book.

He struggles with the intensity and relentless demands for his attention but still delivers a good portion of his time to PR. Top bloke IMO.