Winter Tyres

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Winter Tyres

Post by Blade »

Have fitted some winter wheels and tyres (Wets for Cars, ;) ) to my car as its a right handful in the snow due to being rear wheel drive.

Had a courtesy car today which was on big alloys and low profile tyres so was able to do back to back testing on a similar car to see what difference the winter tyres made.

Simple answer is a huge difference. The low profile tyres although only 500 mile old so loads of tread on them were spinning up everywhere. TC light was permenatly ON when traveling in a straight line at 5 mph.

Coming home from the stealers with my car on winter tyres and I had no problems at all finding traction even when being purposely a bit heavy footed. The braking distansce were castly reduced as well.

Definitelty worth an investment if you need to drive a rear wheel drive car through winter.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Winter Tyres

Post by duke63 »

They are brilliant. I bought some for the Audi in December.

And if you buy them at the start of ownership, they cost you very little over the life of the car as your normal tyres last longer too.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Conditions in winter are rarely bad enough for me to wish I had snow tyres on. It would probably be different if I had a rear wheel drive car.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Granted they work best when there is snow but they improve braking distance in the wet and outperform a regular tyre in all areas when temp drops below 7 deg.

I got my OEM BMW wheels with run flat winter tyres like new with 7 mm of tread for £300 on eBay. As duke says they will pay for themselves as not using your normal tyres.

If you can get a cheap second hand set someone used for one winter there a bargain and a really good improvement.