DVLA Advice - Change of chassis

The news and your views about biking
jlawie
Your Bike: Daytona 600 2004

DVLA Advice - Change of chassis

Post by jlawie »

Evening all!

As some of you will have seen, I'm currently in the process of restoring a 1983 Honda CB1000. As the bike was left outside in the elements for many years in the lovely british weather, the frame had rotted through!

In my haste to get her restored, I picked up a replacement frame (with no V5) and scrapped the old one believing it was beyond repair (rusted through at the engine mounts)

Being the good boy I am, I sent my V5 off to the DVLA to notify them off the change. Well....that was some 3 months ago!

Last week, they finally came back to me to told me I'd have to apply for a Q plate. The reason being they are unable to determine the age (despite me proving the bike was only made for a single year). The bikes not worth squat, so not too fussed about that side of things, but I'd rather keep the original plate for insurance reasons etc.

Any one got any advice on how else I can go about this? Any thing else I can do to fix this before I plow any more time and cash into the project?

Cheers
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Re: DVLA Advice - Change of chassis

Post by rocket »

Email honda and see if they can give you a letter of newness you will need to give them the frame number.

I have just done this with a motor cross bike so i can then get the bike registered on an age related plate hope fully
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
jlawie
Your Bike: Daytona 600 2004

Re: DVLA Advice - Change of chassis

Post by jlawie »

Actually just stumbled across this!!

http://www.vjmc.com/dating-service.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like that might be the ticket!