The new improved fitness thread

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Re: The new improved fitness thread

Post by D6Nutz »

kiwikrasher wrote:
D6Nutz wrote:Cheers mate....

I'm going to be dropping runkeeper though, the gps sensor on my phone has died and I'm not going to be getting a new phone anytime soon. I've just treated myself t a garmin forerunner of eBay, seems like a nice bit of kit. If the weather is good tomorrow I'm hoping to get out for a run to test it.
Which one did you get? I've being toying with an activity tracker, dying to see how many stairs I do in a day offshore :D
I've got a Garmin Forerunner 305, Tested this morning and it's very accurate, the google map it gives online is pixel perfect to the route. Some of the routes recorded by my phone would wonder a bit from the actual route. The only thing I would say against it is that it's a little bulky, you wouldn't mind wearing it for exercise but you wouldn't want to wear it at any other time. I know that a lot of the newer versions are much smaller and lighter though.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
beermonster
Your Bike: Between two wheeled victims

Post by beermonster »

First proper walk of the new year (6 miler). Bought a couple of kettle bells from Aldi (it's one of their current "sh*t you didn't know you needed" offers :D ) so I can start to do some resistance stretches at home.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

D6Nutz wrote:
kiwikrasher wrote:

I'm going to be dropping runkeeper though, the gps sensor on my phone has died and I'm not going to be getting a new phone anytime soon. I've just treated myself t a garmin forerunner of eBay, seems like a nice bit of kit. If the weather is good tomorrow I'm hoping to get out for a run to test it.
Which one did you get? I've being toying with an activity tracker, dying to see how many stairs I do in a day offshore :D
I've got a Garmin Forerunner 305, Tested this morning and it's very accurate, the google map it gives online is pixel perfect to the route. Some of the routes recorded by my phone would wonder a bit from the actual route. The only thing I would say against it is that it's a little bulky, you wouldn't mind wearing it for exercise but you wouldn't want to wear it at any other time. I know that a lot of the newer versions are much smaller and lighter though.

I've had the Garmin Forerunner 10 for two years now. Extremely good piece of kit and keeping track of your progress is great for motivating to improve all the time. I now have two years worth of data of the various routes i run.

The only minor issue is that it usually takes a couple of minutes to find the sateliites when you turn it on so best to do it 5 minutes before starting out. Its never lost the gps signal once its found it though so no drop outs on any run in two years.

This one you could wear as a watch.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

D6Nutz wrote:
kiwikrasher wrote:

Yeah I found runkeeper a little inaccurate at times and occasionally had a glitch. Overall it's been ok but a running watch is on the horizon I think. Pretty sure the Garmins you can still sync to runkeeper, although I'm sure they have their own activity tracker app/interface.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

training really does get harder as you get older,yesterday I did a bench press session and fell asleep for two hours after ! I was wasted.I feel sore as feck today
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

My DOMs seem to last for days.

Getting old sucks.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

2nd lesson of taekwondo. The stretching and the circuits are the hardest parts for this old man. The sparring is fun though.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Was supposed to be going for a run tonight, but the weather sucks so I sat on the sofa and had a glass (or two of wine) instead... Must go for a run tomorrow.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

core and cardio tonight.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Chest and shoulders.

I can't believe how packed the gym was this afternoon.
Si.
Your Bike: fireblade

Post by Si. »

I've been on a diet and fitness plan for just under a mth.

Low carb, high protein. Cut out crisps, cakes, snickers etc.. and having breakfast.

Never have breakfast, this is the hardest bit...i literally balk trying to swallow food so early in the morning. oats, granola and breakfast bars with nuts. Lunch is dried fruits and nuts, tuna sarnies. Tea is as normal, but cut down on the portions.... and i still have a glass of Merlot which i aint giving up...

Weight 4 weeks ago, 13st, 8lb.

This week, 12st 9 lb.

Target weight 12 st. should only take another few weeks. Need to get the food baby tummy down.
beermonster
Your Bike: Between two wheeled victims

Post by beermonster »

Twenty five minutes on the turbo trainer. I hate the fecking thing!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

top weight loss Si.
Si.

Post by Si. »

It's been very hard, what with all the goodies at Christmas.

And, to be honest, i've been feeling starving too... just need to re-adjust. We never eat crap, apart from the odd kebab, everything is home cooked.. but we love our cheese and cream sauces and pasta and cakes and snickers and shu buns and cornish scones and after eights and buttery baked potatoes with cheese and steak burgers with sweet buns and full cream milk and bacon and egg with mayo and , and, and....
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

That's good going, Si especially over this time of year.
Si.

Post by Si. »

yup...this stuff.

new
new
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Nice on Si, keep it up mate... I have home made smoothies for breakfast, much easier to stomach, I've recently been making the Alpro Almond stuff instead of milk virtually no fat and really low in calories as well. I've also started munching nuts during the day, that combined with a good glug of water is often enough to confuse the body into thinking it's had more to eat..

Today was a 16.3km (10.1 mile) run. Managed to settle down into a nice pace after the first few km, total time 1 hour 43. Not the fastest time in the world, but it was a good run. I've only got 9 weeks left to the half marathon and this was my first real distance run for a while.

Fireblade_Ro
Your Bike: 2003 Honda Fireblade 954

Post by Fireblade_Ro »

4 days of resting post crash... back into Insanity on Monday :D actually looking forward to that burn you feel - it's like your body saying 'You freaking earned that Guinness'
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I didn't realise your real name was Guiness. How cool (giggle)
Fireblade_Ro
Your Bike: 2003 Honda Fireblade 954

Post by Fireblade_Ro »

There's no comma between 'that' and 'Guinness' :p If I'd said 'You freaking earned that, Guinness' = valid point. :p
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.