The cycling thread

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: The cycling thread

Post by duke63 »

What about stoppies? Should be a piece of piss surely? :D
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I don't care too much for the little CO2 nozzle-type attachments.....there's not much control with them, and if you're not careful you end up destroying your spare tube. The weight-savings with them are great until you're walking home, pushing your bike, with a flat tyre (your second of the day now), that you flattened yourself. They work OK for racing, when time is of the essence, but that's about it.
The type with a trigger work fairly well....two BB-gun cartridges are more than enough for one MTB tyre, but it's CO2, and will bleed out of the tube over the course of a few hours, so don't get home, scratch your head like a douchebag, and then (ALLEGEDLY!!) throw a perfectly good tube in the trash. The BB-gun cartridges also have oil in them to lube a BB-gun, but they will gum-up your inflator fairly quickly, so be warned.
There's none of that BS will a good quality pump.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

D41 wrote:I don't care too much for the little CO2 nozzle-type attachments.....there's not much control with them, and if you're not careful you end up destroying your spare tube. The weight-savings with them are great until you're walking home, pushing your bike, with a flat tyre (your second of the day now), that you flattened yourself. They work OK for racing, when time is of the essence, but that's about it.
The type with a trigger work fairly well....two BB-gun cartridges are more than enough for one MTB tyre, but it's CO2, and will bleed out of the tube over the course of a few hours, so don't get home, scratch your head like a douchebag, and then (ALLEGEDLY!!) throw a perfectly good tube in the trash. The BB-gun cartridges also have oil in them to lube a BB-gun, but they will gum-up your inflator fairly quickly, so be warned.
There's none of that BS will a good quality pump.
I buy the ones with an adjustable valve adaptor and they work fine ,ive never had a tyre bleed or go down with C02 either
Its not about weight saving for me I hate having a bulky pump on my bike and the mini ones are shite
For newbies dont be tempted by tubeless tyres either they feel crap to ride on and still puncture as easily
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

The Vitus gravel bike has tubeless which seemed appealing as you can run lower pressures without as much risk of puncture by pinching.

I think I'm realistically leaning towards a road bike and I haven't even paid attention to the wheels and tyres that come with any of them
D41

Post by D41 »

Fair enough...if they're working for you then there's no reason to change.
I forget which mini-pump I bought last year....cost an arm & a leg for what it is, but it works surprisingly well, all things considered. "all-metal construction", etc.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Cav wrote:The Vitus gravel bike has tubeless which seemed appealing as you can run lower pressures without as much risk of puncture by pinching.

I think I'm realistically leaning towards a road bike and I haven't even paid attention to the wheels and tyres that come with any of them
frame ,then wheels and tyres are the main items your money should go on
Tubeless tyres are bullshit unless your a serious mountain biker,my brotehr oad a race that was half road half farmers tarcks with massive buolders
Every body spent money on tubeless tyres and they all punctured (wasntme)
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I've already got a mini pump that I bought for commuting so I'm just going to run with that for now. It's not as good as a proper pump, but will be enough to get me home.

I do see the benefit of the canisters though. I had to stop on the last ride as the pump had bumped free from its holder.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Cav

Post by Cav »

Perkles wrote:
Cav wrote:The Vitus gravel bike has tubeless which seemed appealing as you can run lower pressures without as much risk of puncture by pinching.

frame ,then wheels and tyres are the main items your money should go on
Tubeless tyres are bullshit unless your a serious mountain biker,my brotehr oad a race that was half road half farmers tarcks with massive buolders
Every body spent money on tubeless tyres and they all punctured (wasntme)
I wouldn't even know where to start with wheels and tyres. I've basically been looking at bikes in the price range I'm considering and seeing which has better gearsets then seeing how high end the frame is used for.

I'm not going to notice bad wheels vs good wheels as I'll just be riding what I have. It's still going to be a MUCH better ride than my shagged out old MTB.

Now I've found this road bike from Canyon I'm very tempted to scrap the cyclescheme and just go for that. 8.2kg with Shimano 105 gears and brakes.

What's an easy way of knowing if the wheels and tyres are good?
Last edited by Cav on 28 Apr 2020, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Lenze make the best mini pumps but they are expensive
D41

Post by D41 »

All MTB tyres will puncture...the main benefit of the tubeless tyres is that they don't suffer pinch-flats like a tube does. You can safely run much lower DH-level pressures.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

D41 wrote:All MTB tyres will puncture...the main benefit of the tubeless tyres is that they don't suffer pinch-flats like a tube does. You can safely run much lower DH-level pressures.
Affirmative (y)
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

37 windy and cold miles tonight no Strava log as my Garmin battery ran out
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Perkles wrote:37 windy and cold miles tonight no Strava log as my Garmin battery ran out
You know the rules... No Strava it didn't happen ;)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Cav

Post by Cav »

I thought what you said, D6 but I'm not in the position to say it :D haha
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I cant answer that except to say my legs felt utterly shit tonight ,I am losing weight though which is really good
I am using 40mm carbon fibre rims with Michelin pro sport tyres at the moment and they feel really nice to ride on :)

A Mammil sprinted past me about a mile into my ride then got stuck at the traffic lights couldnt get his foot out his cleat and fell off sideways,I laughed my fooking head off
Cav

Post by Cav »

I had to Google that but it was worth it! :D
D41

Post by D41 »

Middle aged man in lycra??

(muscle) :* (muscle)
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

D41 wrote:Middle aged man in lycra??

(muscle) :* (muscle)
When I am bumbling along enjoying the scenery and thinking about going down on Farah Forcet Majors they have this annoying habit of sprinting past you, then you can feel they are dying to look behind and see where you are.
I like to hold them around 10 metres then slowly reel them in and ride past them whistling while they have a heart attack on their 12 grand bike
Cav

Post by Cav »

How much is yours..?
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Cav wrote:How much is yours..?
£129.99. He's using mine (lol)