Detailing Thread

A place to discuss all things with 4 wheels.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Re: Detailing Thread

Post by Perkles »

meguirs drying towels from Halfords are good
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Nice. The woolly mammoth would be overkill for a bike to be fair - you could probably dry 5 bikes with one towel.

I've ordered Bilt Hamber Surfex HD which is an All Purpose Cleaner, Degreaser, Tar Remover and Plastic Trim cleaner all in one. It's concentrated so just dilute it into different spray bottles for different jobs. It can be used to clean headliners in the car too. It's about £15.

Couple with that I've ordered CarPro PERL (Plastics . Engine . Rubber . Leather) to dress the parts I've cleaned. Again it's a concentrated water-based product so can be diluted down. I think this was £12.

Organising my stuff made it so much easier yesterday. It saved at least 10 minutes of faffing before cleaning as I just walked up to the shelf and grabbed the products by task super quickly. One thing I need to do is get some of those plastic drawers for my towels and wash mitts and label them accordingly.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Blade wrote:
Cav wrote:I bought it direct from Chemical Guys UK. I picked up applicator pads and their workhorse buffing towels at the same time. Good quality microfibers.

https://www.chemicalguysuk.co.uk/

Mmmmm :? I can get two fattys for the same money as one mammoth.

Decisions, decisions in other scenarios I would normally always opt for the double fatty option :P
The plushness of the woolly mammoth is something you are going to be grateful of with your M4 mate... so buy 1 of each! :D

You won't be able to use a foam cannon on a hose pipe but you can buy what they call a foam blaster like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Torq-EQP323-Sn ... B075QP241K It's a lot cheaper than buying a Pressure Washer and it will do okay given sufficient water pressure.

Meguiars don't sell a bad product IMO so you're probably right with their drying towels Perks. I just needed some applicators and buffing cloths so bought the mammoth while there. It got me free shipping so had to be worth it (blush)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Remembering what I've used a towel for is my usual issue, so if I sort everything out I can put the appropriate towel with the product.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I use my towel to dry my hairy back and balls :)
Cav

Post by Cav »

Kwacky wrote:Remembering what I've used a towel for is my usual issue, so if I sort everything out I can put the appropriate towel with the product.
Use types of microfibers for types of jobs or colour coordinate it. You should wash them after each use anyway so it won't be much of a problem that way.

I use orange for applying product. Green for buffing (although now I have workhorse towels I know they're for buffing).

Drying towels are obvious.

Applicator pads I will colour coordinate when required but I will likely just wash them and not really care.

FYI.. washing microfibres. Buy yourself some liquid non-bio. I bought persil and it's massively improved the softness and moisture absorbency. Shake them after washing to fluff them up then air dry them. Wash at 40 (except the Woolly Mammoth which wants 60).
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Perkles wrote:I use my towel to dry my hairy back and balls :)
Well I didn't think I would be seeing my sausage and mushroom sandwich again today, but there it is (puke)
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Kwacky wrote:
Well I didn't think I would be seeing my sausage and mushroom sandwich again today, but there it is (puke)
:D mission accomplished
Cav

Post by Cav »

Kwacky wrote:
As long as it wasn't Perk's sausage mushroom you saw we're all good here (puke)
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

After a ball polish what Last Step Product are using for a smear free sheen (giggle)
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cav wrote:Nice. The woolly mammoth would be overkill for a bike to be fair - you could probably dry 5 bikes with one towel.

I've ordered Bilt Hamber Surfex HD which is an All Purpose Cleaner, Degreaser, Tar Remover and Plastic Trim cleaner all in one. It's concentrated so just dilute it into different spray bottles for different jobs. It can be used to clean headliners in the car too. It's about £15.

Couple with that I've ordered CarPro PERL (Plastics . Engine . Rubber . Leather) to dress the parts I've cleaned. Again it's a concentrated water-based product so can be diluted down. I think this was £12.

Organising my stuff made it so much easier yesterday. It saved at least 10 minutes of faffing before cleaning as I just walked up to the shelf and grabbed the products by task super quickly. One thing I need to do is get some of those plastic drawers for my towels and wash mitts and label them accordingly.
Starting to wish I never started this thread, its costing me a fortune (facepalm)
Cav

Post by Cav »

Blade wrote:
Cav wrote:Nice. The woolly mammoth would be overkill for a bike to be fair - you could probably dry 5 bikes with one towel.

Starting to wish I never started this thread, its costing me a fortune (facepalm)
You and me both, brother! :D

In fairness, most of these products last a long time because they're concentrates. Also, some products (like APC) you won't use on the exterior until you want to strip the protection to reapply a new coat. You'll be diluting it 100:1 for interior fabric and plastics so it'll last forever. You can use it neat on stubborn tar and tree sap if needed.

The expensive stuff are the buckets, pressure washer (remember it's multipurpose though!!!), wash mitts, applicator pads, buffing towels, glass cleaning towels, glass buffing towels, drying towels.... but you have those for a number of years before you kill them.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I'm not adding up but I know I'm over 200 sheets in the last month or so on cleaning products :?
Cav

Post by Cav »

I'm not adding up either. And nor will I.

The Wife queried how I was paying for all this stuff and I was like, it isn't all multiple orders, they keep splitting them so I presume they're coming from different places. That helped.

Then when my £6 foam cannon turned up I waved it around like WOOOOOOO!!!! I'm following Boris' distraction techniques.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I like those yellow polishing cloths with the red stitching around the edges.
I think they're for furniture, but I've used them forever...cars, bikes, guitars, er- furniture, etc.
Just wrap the bottle with the cloth so you know which-goes-with-what.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

the problem with all this is it gets dirty again
Cav

Post by Cav »

D41 wrote:I like those yellow polishing cloths with the red stitching around the edges.
I think they're for furniture, but I've used them forever...cars, bikes, guitars, er- furniture, etc.
Just wrap the bottle with the cloth so you know which-goes-with-what.
They lint too much for my liking. They're crap even for their intended purpose IMO.

You want to keep your clothes away from as much dust as possible (i.e. put them in a drawer).
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

You're right, they do lint too much....but that only lasts a short time. It's not a deal-breaker.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Perkles wrote:the problem with all this is it gets dirty again
My car is covered in a film of dust in a day or two.

Anyone else experience the same or is it just local to me?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Blade wrote:
Perkles wrote:the problem with all this is it gets dirty again
My car is covered in a film of dust in a day or two.

Anyone else experience the same or is it just local to me?
red dust because i live in the ditch