Crossplane triples

The news and your views about biking
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Crossplane triples

Post by Cavetroll87 »

So I have been thinking about this as its been bugging me.....

I get how a crossplane crank il4 engine works as in the r1/m1, rather than having 2 cylinders at TDC and 2 at BDC then switching in a conventional il4 they have the crank spaced at 90 degree angles meaning they move at even intervals in a different firing order (3,4,1,2 I believe) To me this all makes sense.

BUT......

Yamaha claim the motor in the MT09 is crossplane, infact its branded as a CP3 engine, just as the MT07 is branded as CP2 and the R1 CP4, but how can a triple be a crossplane or more accurately surely ALL triples are crossplanes, I get they will run them with even intervals of 120 degrees on the crank, but surely Triumph run the exact same configuration on their engines therefore surely they cant claim that the crossplane thing is a yammy thing,

Am I right in assuming that this means the triumph engines are the same, or is it not really crossplane at all and its all just marketing from Yamaha, just intrigued really.
Figured one of you guys would know a lot more than me and shed some light.

PS sorry if I'm being really stupid
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Crossplane triples

Post by duke63 »

Yes a triple is by nature a crossplane engine.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/12/13/ya ... der-engine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

There is only one way to set the crank in an inline 3 engine but Yamaha had to make it their own so called it a CP3, MARKETING is the word here, hence why the MT07 is branded a CP2, CrossPlane twin? really, Yamaha?
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Ok cool, glad to know i was alo g the right lines then and not as stupid as i thought haha
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...