Mate's bike stolen

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Mate's bike stolen

Post by Kwacky »

D6 wrote:Should have gone to buy the bike, had a test ride, and rode off. What they gonna do? Report you for stealing it?
Yep. It's no longer yours if you've been paid out for it.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

rocket wrote:
Blade wrote:
rocket wrote:Had a chat with a lad the other day down at my mates garage had his bike nicked a few months back been paid out etc. He spotted it on gumtree a few days ago so he rang the police to report it and they said why do you care about it you have been paid out and suggested they were not really interested. So he contacted his insurance company as its there bike again did not seem overly interested.
That's shocking. He is giving the police a really good lead into a crime and if followed up and the scum bags caught and prosecuted it could stop further crime.

The Police response is you've been paid out why are you bothered, well that's easy your a decent member of society and want dishonest scumbags removing from our community's.

I would seriously make an official complaint. The police are public's servants and need to remeber that. Cuts or not they have a duty and obligation to catch criminals.

I'm truly disappointed to hear this was the police response.
Totally agree blade we all said the same ... So maybe they could catch the people that did it..... But it seems it was a bit too much effort. I don't think bike crime is high on the police priorities round my area with plenty been stolen and the police not really interested in returning bikes that they have in there PossessIon.
Tell them as they can't be bothered catching criminals when gifted to them on a plate you and some big mates are going to make your own enquiries. Tell them you are heading straight over to the shop and I bet there is a police car there before you.

I have a lot of respect for the Police and understand they do a difficult thankless job but the above response is not acceptable IMO. Catching these scumbags could stop further crime as its usually the same gang doing all the stealing in an area.

I realise they are stretched, under manned and under funded and I sympathise I really do but burglary and vehicle crime should be a higher priority in community policing, tragically its almost acceptable to the police.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

What's the update on the bike? Theft is one of my hates and I'd happily cut there hands off if caught and not lose a wink of sleep
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I got the new issue of Superbike magazine yesterday, there was an article in there that really annoyed me, it was written from the perspective of a bike thief but all it seemed to do was brag about it, about how easy money it is, about how simple it is and almost made it feel as though if you have your bike nicked it's your own fault, really annoyed me, couldn't see what the point of it was
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Blade

Post by Blade »

Not read it but why would a bike mag publish such an article, sounds like they have lost the fecking plot.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I guess the point is to make you think about your home security in an off the cuff manner as it says about garages and bike covers being biggest deterrent but all it does is come across as bragging
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I'm not sure about garages. On the plus side its easier to secure and its out of sight. On the downside it gives them somewhere out of sight to work on your bike. I guess the positives outweigh the negatives.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

The article basically said that he had given up attempting to get in garages and would rather spend the time scouting round for an easier steal
Blade

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:I'm not sure about garages. On the plus side its easier to secure and its out of sight. On the downside it gives them somewhere out of sight to work on your bike. I guess the positives outweigh the negatives.
Not sure I agree with that. If you went in my garage with a 130db siren going of in a confined space believe me its pure agony and not possible to stay in there and I know from personal experience when I have accidentally triggered it.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I was talking generally . Not many people take security as seriously as you have.

I see a load of thefts get reported on Twitter and you'll be shocked how many bikes are alarmed and in garages but nicked. I've seen photos of ground anchors chipped out and thick chains cut or cropped.

A lot will depend on where your garage is as well.

I think a bike in the open is more likely to attract the casual thief.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I can't believe how bad it is for you lot over there, it's seems like an epidemic. I garage my bike but that's the limit of my security. I've even leave the key in both bikes.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It's been really bad since about October. Bikes going all the time.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Yep I've had my fair share of bike theft...2 in 8 months! Problem over here is when their nicked they go straight to mainland Europe never to be seen again. Another thing over here is most people won't do anything anyway even if they saw the crime happen right in front of them...reason none of their business because they know the police won't catch them anyway so they don't want to get hit or whatever by the thieves. Personally you can't have too many alarms, I was told by one security guy there's people out there that use blank shots from a shot gun with a bit of fishing line attached to it so when they draw it , it fires and makes a massive bang. Great idea really. Apparently can pick them up relatively cheap!
Blade

Post by Blade »

Yeah I ve seen those Rossgo I think original design is some kind of bird scarying device for farmers but there secondary use of security seems more popular.

I thought of fitting them but had second thoughts as I would probably forget and set it off myself.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:It's been really bad since about October. Bikes going all the time.
I had no idea of this. If bike crime is on the increase its even more disgusting that the police won't follow up leads that could ultimately catch these gangs and stop future crime deads in its tracks.

I would definitely complain formally to the police comissioner and my local mp its diabolical that we are just supposed to accept theft in our community's and that its almost become normalised behaviour (gah)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Blade wrote: I thought of fitting them but had second thoughts as I would probably forget and set it off myself.
Haha couldn't agree more this is why I didn't use them either though would be funny to see neighbours reactions to it!!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

If you want the Police to deal with a problem it seems you have to make an offensive tweet about it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... d-six.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I wouldn't be surprised if the thieves know bike theft wont get investigated so they think of it as a crime they can commit with no fear of being punished.....so it just makes the problem worse.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Exactly my worst fear Duke.

Burgalary and theft have almost become normalised activities as the authorities wrongly think as your insurance pays out there is no victim, which is completely insane. And once robbed once your more likely to be targeted again as they know you have replaced your stolen items with new items.

Anyone robs me I will be dealing out my own justice as the police seem incapable and uninterested.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Too true. A park about 2 miles away was subject to a spate of robberies. The Police tactic? Scare them off.

Guess what?

On Friday there were two muggings in a park about 250 yards from me carried out by the same people. One lad was stabbed. But that's ok as it's the first mugging in the park for 15 years and the other park no longer has any muggers in it (facepalm) so the stats look good (headbang).