There are some advantages....

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

There are some advantages....

Post by kiwikrasher »

of working in the middle of the ocean, check out this pic taken from the flare tip yesterday. Just for a bit of scale reference, the connecting bridges are at 35 m (100 ft) above sea level. We currently have 703 people on this collection of platforms.
SDN2014.jpg
We are currently in a shutdown, so it made this shot possible, as normally with the flare burning you can't get more than half way down the flare bridge due to the heat. The 2 platforms in the middle (one is behind and slightly offset) are the normal Process and Accom/Utilities platforms. The ones hanging off each side are drilling rigs that have been re-vamped into offshore accomodation vessels for extra beds during the shutdown. We normally have the one on the right out here, as we have a structure remediation campaign running, but the one on the left came in a month ago and will leave again post shutdown.

The seasons out here are turning, going into the wet (cyclone) season, which means a 180 deg shift in prevailing currents and winds. At present we are in the lull of the shift, hence the water is unbelieveably flat. The water is really clear as well, and with a combination of no process noise and weather the sea life has been amazing. So far this swing I have seen 3 whale sharks, a turtle, numerous dolphins and heaps of sharks actually breaching, and just today I saw a bronze whaler barrel roll as he leaped out to take a fish.

Although it has been a great bit of viewing, I'm well over the shutdown, had our arses hanging out every day... 5 1/2 days to go... then home for a week and back out for a weeks overcycle (facepalm) (gah)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: There are some advantages....

Post by Kwacky »

Fantastic photo.

I can't believe how still the water is.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

Great photo that. Not sure I fancy being out there in cyclone season!
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Great pic Kiwi! I've had days when the sea around here has been absolutely flat, but never with the marine life you describe, I can't begin to think how you guys cope with the heat and humidity that goes along with the sunshine in the pic. I find it difficult working in anything above 23C, I'm guessing cyclone season won't do anything for the humidity....
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Increadible shot Kiwi, looks literally unreal (like some scale model for a filmset).

Forgive my ignorance, but why is the operation in shutdown please.?
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

StMarks wrote:Increadible shot Kiwi, looks literally unreal (like some scale model for a filmset).

Forgive my ignorance, but why is the operation in shutdown please.?
I should point out that I didn't take the photo, the shutdown manager did, but it's gone viral out here! :D

We are in shutdown for planned maintenance. All process plants have regular shutdowns. As the process here is continuous there is plenty of equipment (columns, heat exchangers, vessels) that can't be worked on without stopping the whole process. So in our case we have a full shutdown every 2 years so equipment can have internal inspections and repairs. Also gives us the chance to implement improvement projects and expansions. One of these is tying in new feeders to the process from sub sea wells that are current being drilled. Our current wells are declining in production so they have tapped into other areas of the reservoir to extend the life of the installation.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

DaytonAndy wrote:Great photo that. Not sure I fancy being out there in cyclone season!
There has never been one hit here yet in the 11 yrs it's been running, but a few have come close. They de-man the facility if one is threatening, to minimum manning. Unfortunately being in Operations I'm part of that minimum manning and get to stay here. The platform is rated for a CAT 4 cyclone so technically we are pretty safe.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Deegee wrote:Great pic Kiwi! I've had days when the sea around here has been absolutely flat, but never with the marine life you describe, I can't begin to think how you guys cope with the heat and humidity that goes along with the sunshine in the pic. I find it difficult working in anything above 23C, I'm guessing cyclone season won't do anything for the humidity....
It gets pretty sticky. You just learn to drink lots and being drenched. In the wet, it's usually around 30-35 c and rarely below 95 % humidity. Absolutely fantastic for overalls, hardhat, earmuffs, gloves and work boots and running up and down stairs all day!!! At the moment it's 26-28 c and 70-80 % humidity. Rather lovely considering I left winter at home!