Home brewing kits

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Mac
Your Bike: '04 Triumph Daytona

Home brewing kits

Post by Mac »

I'm thinking about getting one, just for fun and because well, I like beer. Anyone ever fooled around with one?
Last edited by Mac on 26 Jul 2014, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
"When in doubt use full throttle. It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense ".
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Re: Home brewing kits (beer)

Post by Bratty »

Mac my brother does 3 or 4 a year it's not the best tasting beer I've ever had but feck me it's like rocket fuel lol, I'd say go for it mate what you got to lose.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Re: Home brewing kits (beer)

Post by kiwikrasher »

I've brewed off and on for 20 yrs Mac. Pretty easy once you're all set up. Biggest points to a good beer even from a standard kit is sterilisation, a constant lower temp for fermentation and bottling at the right SG. And the biggest point, don't drink it too early! Some kits say drinkable in 2-3 weeks. I'd say 6 weeks minimum in the bottle. It makes a huge difference.

If you use Dextrose rather than sugar for main mash you'll have less dregs and a better taste too.

Buy a decent hydrometer. The kit ones aren't usually any good IMHO.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Re: Home brewing kits

Post by rocket »

My mates dad does it when we were 18 we would drink the cheapest beer we could get asda special brew. It tasted rank but his dads home brew was worse we had to add lime just to drink it .
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
beermonster
Your Bike: Between two wheeled victims

Post by beermonster »

My folks used to do home brew and I did too when at university. I'd echo Kiwicrasher's comments especially about sterilisation and length of time in bottle (or barrel). It's absolutely the key to getting a tasty brew.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Another vote for Kiwikrashers comments, Dad and I started brewing back in the 70's, some of it was bloody awful, but as a schoolboy making and drinking beer with my Dad I thought it was the Mutts nuts, I can't smell malt extract without being straight back in that kitchen on a Wednesday evening with him.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Thanks for the comments mates. I'm leaning toward this kit from Northern Brewer http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/esse ... r-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But I'm open for suggestions as well...
"When in doubt use full throttle. It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense ".
Deegee

Post by Deegee »

Anything with a bit of body will be good, but it depends on what you like to drink most, having done a fair few beer festivals I know I like a dark bitter, halfway between an IPA and a Guiness., but everyone is different, all down to personal taste I think.
Binno
Your Bike: Hayabusa dogs dangly

Post by Binno »

This is just my opinion. But every home brew I ever drank was revolting.

A mate of mine does wine kits. He makes gallons of the stuff and likes it so much he won't give me any. Dunno if that's up your street
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Deegee wrote:Anything with a bit of body will be good, but it depends on what you like to drink most, having done a fair few beer festivals I know I like a dark bitter, halfway between an IPA and a Guiness., but everyone is different, all down to personal taste I think.
Do you like Porter?
Deegee

Post by Deegee »

Porters are a bit sweet for me, my beer of the moment is Dark Munro, easy to get at the local beer festivals but not at any pubs local to me. Old Peculiar, Broadside, Directors or Riggwelter are also very drinkable for my tastes. Actually talking about beer is making me thirsty.....

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/highland-dark-munro/68874/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mac

Post by Mac »

I like almost all beers, with the possible exception of IPA's, which come across as a little bitter for my tastes. I was thinking of a brown ale to start, as many reviews stated it was an easy beginners brew.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Mac wrote:I like almost all beers, with the possible exception of IPA's, which come across as a little bitter for my tastes. I was thinking of a brown ale to start, as many reviews stated it was an easy beginners brew.
IPA's are my favorite .... :)

I can't stand the dark heavy beers myself. I brewed one by accident once. Struggled thru' a bottle and gave the rest to a mate. He was stoked and loved it..

But that's one of the great things about beer, there's one for every taste! (beer)
(groupdrink)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

I love Theakston's Old Peculiar. One of my favourite beers. That said I like IPAs as well :)