Traffic fines to be quadrupled

The news and your views about biking
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Traffic fines to be quadrupled

Post by duke63 »

See this is what i mean about these things being the thin end of the wedge when we were discussing those Hadecs camera the other day.

Driving any motor vehicle almost seems to be the most serious crime you can commit these days and governments see it as a way of taxing the working man even more.

How about just improving driving standards and increasing police presence on the roads instead?

But no that wont bring in anymore revenue.

Who are the **** making these decisions?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27774455" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Re: Traffic fines to be quadrupled

Post by Cavetroll87 »

they can try and fine me £10k but it wont happen, im not sure ill ever see that sorta cash, if I had that sorta money in the first place I would have used it to get on the property ladder, sick of renting
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

"Ironically we know that speeding offences have declined over recent years and just last week the Department for Transport confirmed that, even after taking congestion out of the equation, recorded traffic speeds have been dropping for a decade on all types of roads."

then you've got this bit:-

Magistrate fines collected at the end of 2012/13 reached a record high of £284m and continued to rise during the last financial year, the Ministry of Justice added.

It's another revenue stream. The government are pissed off that people are learning.

What they should be doing is putting police on the roads to prevent poor driving, removing uninsured drivers and reducing road rage.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

cameras do slow you down but the amount of people i still see with a mobile phone glued to their ear when driving pisses me off.In no way are they safe to drive that way.Tailgating causes the most motorway crashes cameras cant stop that either.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

motorway speeding, could increase from £2,500 to £10,000
Incorrect number plate offences can lead to fines of up to £1000 for each specific number plate offence.
I foresee an increase in the number of "incorrect number plate" fines over the next few years then.

How long is it going to take for them to realise that the only way of improving road safety is to educate and police effectively. The muppets I see joining the M4 every morning don't give a hoot about fines and driving standards as they know they will never see a police car on the motorway. With the exception of the occasional traffic womble that parks up in one of the police bays to have is morning brew.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I wonder if that means I should bung on the bigger plate back on for a little while then, it looks so ugly though :(
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

There has recently been an increase in Brum in roadside stops but I don't mind those as they're checking for drink and drugged up drivers, roadworthy cars and insurance.

If they start doing it for number plates all hell is going to break loose.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

duke63 wrote:
The same people who think free schools are a good idea. Biggest mistake in policy since selling all the gold IMO.

Good point was made on the news this morning that it won't make any difference as people think they will get away with it so it could be a million quid and nothing would change.
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

Perkles wrote:cameras do slow you down but the amount of people i still see with a mobile phone glued to their ear when driving pisses me off.In no way are they safe to drive that way.Tailgating causes the most motorway crashes cameras cant stop that either.

The amount of people on phones while driving is getting worse i see so many on the bike. Went past a woman eating a bowl of cereal the other day I had to look twice i stopped the bike and looked at her as she sheepishly put it down on the passenger seat.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I don't think it's going to be too long before we're policed by drone cameras. The police can have an eye in the sky then move the police to an area where they're needed. If bikers are on a rideout a drone could watch the whole thing then do you all for speeding.

Something like this would be hard to spot

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/03 ... 49862.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

drones would be good fun blasting out of the air with a shotgun
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/06/volks ... e-driving/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

That's a bloody clever advert, you could tell from the look of shock on their faces that the point was well and truly registering..
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

C00kiemonster wrote:
duke63 wrote:
The same people who think free schools are a good idea. Biggest mistake in policy since selling all the gold IMO.

Good point was made on the news this morning that it won't make any difference as people think they will get away with it so it could be a million quid and nothing would change.
^^^ This ^^^^^

".......let's think, what's good about the UK. Now how can we f*ck it up.?" (facepalm)
Mac
Your Bike: '04 Triumph Daytona

Post by Mac »

There's a lot of things wrong with the US, but at least we still police with humans here.
"When in doubt use full throttle. It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense ".
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Mac wrote:There's a lot of things wrong with the US, but at least we still police with humans here.
To be fair, all things considered, I think I'd prefer to be caught speeding by a camera than a cop with a sidearm mate.! (wasntme)
Last edited by StMarks on 10 Jun 2014, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Mac, we've seen the TV shows. It does seem that you guys never lack back up when it's needed :D
Mac

Post by Mac »

StMarks wrote:
Mac wrote:There's a lot of things wrong with the US, but at least we still police with humans here.
To be fair, all things considered, I think I'd prefer to be caught speeding by a camera than a cop with a sidearm mate.! (wasntme)
Why? We don't point it at you unless you do something to deserve it (and no, being a smartass doesn't count as "deserving it"). But if you'd rather get pinched by a camera for doing eight over than get a warning from an officer with a holstered sidearm...(wasntme)
Last edited by Mac on 11 Jun 2014, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
"When in doubt use full throttle. It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense ".
Mac

Post by Mac »

Kwacky wrote:Mac, we've seen the TV shows. It does seem that you guys never lack back up when it's needed :D
True, we're not backed up by drones and speed cameras.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

My daughter has had a problem with fines albeit on a car.

She was pulled up at night for random stop and a chat and they told her her car was uninsured and she didn't have a driving licence

She got a bit shitty with them unfortunately and was carted off and so was the car.

I hasten to add she has both. I paid the insurance on her car in full a few months before . At the time of being stopped her ex called me and told me what had happened and I spoke to the officer , I said I can send over the insurance details straight away to prove otherwise.

The officer said this should be OK but the next I knew the car was impounded .

She went the next day with proof of insurance but no driving licence as it is somewhere in the depths of hell which is commonly known as DVLA having the updated photo done, and it's still there somewhere.

The insurance was showing it was cancelled !!!

But we had emails of confirmation of proof of cover and I had a copy of her test certificate to prove she did have a licence legally.

2 court appearances adjourned because the insurance company didn't send an official letter in time to apologise and it was a computer error on their part (an email was not sufficient for the magistrate apparently) and the car as it was not collected within the 14 days has now gone.
The costs of the recovery charges far outweighed the value of her old banger.

So she has no car and no hope of buying another and still the threat of a driving without insurance hanging over her although she does have the letter from the ins company now.

My point is given these magistrates even more power widens the perimeters of the scales they can use ,allegedly the new fines are all means tested when given but to those who can afford it will still do it and those who can't will be the ones that suffer the most.

Well people might say if you aint speeding then you have no need to worry but lets face it we all do it at some point without even realising it.

Mobile phones is the biggest bone of contention for me
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!