The new improved fitness thread

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Re: The new improved fitness thread

Post by kiwikrasher »

I don't know about the weight but from the times you've been posting you are definitely a lot faster! Impressed with your effort Jon (y)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Lats and delts tonight
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Well, I did an 9 mile run on Monday and it's caused some real problems with my knees. I could barely walk on Tuesday, and as for stairs !!!!

Recovery is coming on, but I think I'm going to have to hold back on the running a bit for a few weeks. So tonight I decided to get the push bike out and go for a ride, the first time in over a decade (blush) I did only of my half marathon training routes and a smidge extra, so turned 14 miles in an hour. I'm quite happy with that.

I live about 11 miles from work so I'm seriously considering getting the push bike serviced and cycling into work once a week over the summer months..
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Riding is good for knees, I dislocated my knee at work when I first moved to Australia. Work was 10 km away so biked constantly for over a year. I had a good tri bike as I'd completed a 160 km race in NZ a few months earlier. Was the best thing for my knee, and the Physio agreed.

Good luck with the recovery mate.

As a side note, be worth seeing a physio to find out the cause. My dislocation caused an ITB issue as well and they gave me some good stretches to help that.
beermonster
Your Bike: Between two wheeled victims

Post by beermonster »

I'm back cycling to work (or doing a mix of cycle and train) and it doesn't half help!

Having said that, I'm not fully gig fit (think it's the extra stone I'm carrying since last September) as I found out last night in the pit....I was still ruling it, but even I had to take a couple of breathers!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I did squats today. First time in months so I took it easy.

I had forgotten how much they're about confidence. I need to get back into them.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I must have got the squats right, as my legs and backside are killing me.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

To run or not to run, this is the question....

Easy Monday run tomorrow, and I've not run since last week because of the knee... I've bought a couple of decent knee supports, and I'm really tempted to run.. It's really starting to bug me at the moment because I can't run...

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Leave it. It's better to miss a race and give your knee time to heal than run it and end up needing an op in 6 months time.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Kwacky wrote:Leave it. It's better to miss a race and give your knee time to heal than run it and end up needing an op in 6 months time.
Wot he said! Go biking instead. You won't lose any cardio form from substituting while you get your knee right.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Monday night is Taekwondo night. We did sparring for 20 minutes. Fighting is very hard work.

I managed to kick my son in the face. Good job he took it in good spirits. I think he's waiting until he's big enough then going to hand it all back to me. (punch)
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

I never was good at taking advice (blush)

Went out for a run tonight. Stuck to the group pace of 6 min/km, wore a proper sports support on the knee as well. So far all feels good, hopefully will be the same tomorrow.

D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Club run again tonight, was supposed to be a recovery / easy paced 6 mile run... Easy paced my arse !!!!

I started at a good pace, but then dropped off the back of the leading group, knowing I had an issue with my knee one of the coaches caught up with me and checked I was ok. Once she worked out I was and had just been pushing it a bit she stuck with me for a bit, we started talking about my goal to pick my pace up a bit and do the 10k series. From then onwards the pace picked steadily up and she stayed with me, pushing me up the hills and keeping my pace a lot higher than I would have done. We completed a hundred meters or so short of 10k in 53 minutes, to say I'm chuffed is an understatement.. To say I'm knackered is also an understatement..

I wonder if I can shave 3 minutes off that time in 8 weeks (mm)

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The gym was packed tonight, I hate it when it's like that.

But there were some worldies to distract me (inlove)
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

This thread almost seems like an alien world to me at the moment.

I haven't been hitting the gym like I used to. I haven't been hitting it at all, to be honest. I've had to force myself to take a break from it, and that's something that's hard to do when I've spent the last few years lifting weights and really enjoying it.

But about a month ago I made the decision to go to the doctors about my shoulder. For those who have forgotten my ramblings, I dislocated it when I was in Qatar whilst grappling with a barely-evolved ape (a 102kg Royal Engineer)!
After giving it a bit of time off after the initial injury I gingerly started to work out again, but the dislocation had taken it's toll.
My bench press had gone from a comfortable 5 reps of 100kg down to a wobbly and uncomfortable 10 reps of 40kg.
I couldn't use the preacher bench because of the levering of the shoulder joint (however little force it put on there, it still hurt)
I couldn't squat properly because I couldn't take my hand far back enough to support the bar on my traps.
Deadlifts, well, I could do them and I think at one point I got the weight up to 120-130kg, but I was worried about my arm dropping off, and consequently my form was turd.

So, once I got back and had the obligatory extra-long leave period where I went to the gym twice in 2 months, it was off to the docs. I kept hurting myself doing simple things like walking past things whilst putting my hand on the wall, or making a sudden movement with it. It hurt.

He referred me to the physiotherapist, who examined me and put me on a rehab program with the excercise therapists here on base.

4 weeks in now. My shoulder seems to be tweaking less and less during my day to day activites, when I do the simple things that hurt before it's not always hurting now. And when it does, it seems to hurt less.

So hopefully, things are on the up.

I don't want to rush back into training, but there's only maybe another 6 or 7 years max before my daughter delves into the murky world of dating. I need to be massive by then, or at least strong enough to fold any potential suitors in half. Backwards!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I know what it's like to have a shit shoulder. Even know I have to make sure I'm very careful. The moment it starts to complain or if it's tiring quickly then I change what I'm doing at the gym. That's my main reason for struggling to stick with a training plan.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

The knee seems to be back on track. Got out on the push bike yesterday, covered just over 22 miles in 1:45. Worked out I can cycle to work in about 50 mins, can take longer than that to drive some days.

Going to try riding into work one day this week.

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

In the gym last night and it seemed to be weakness time. Miles off what I normally can do weight wise, so I switched to light weights and high reps.

2 hours later I got my breath back (sweat)
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I'm doing the Birmingham half marathon,I've started running 1st time in 4 years and God it hurts
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Perkles wrote:I'm doing the Birmingham half marathon,I've started running 1st time in 4 years and God it hurts
Good man (y)

Might be worth searching out a training plan online. My only worthwhile advice would be to start small and build up the distance gradually, that should reduce risk of injury.