Lucky escape

The news and your views about biking
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Re: Lucky escape

Post by Deegee »

Yes it's an easy mistake to make, I nearly lost my Dad one evening to a Dutch Artic driver in exactly the same situation. The wagon driver had unhitched his trailer and had driven to a public phone box to call his wife back in Holland, after speaking to her for 10mins he was back thinking Dutch again and set off back to his trailer, but on the r/h side of the road.
Dad came round the corner in his company Car (Vauxhall Senator) and met the truck mid corner in a 40 limit, you can imagine the mess. Dad was lucky to walk away with minor injuries, the fact he was driving a big solid car with ABS and airbags (back in the 80's btw) is the only reason we didn't lose him right there.
Had it been me on my GS750 I'd have bought it there and then - and I was only a few minutes ahead of him. Truly scary stuff. Fwiw the truck driver was arrested and dealt with in the UK.

Tbh if I had been the lad on the Laverda I'd be thinking very carefully about how very lucky I was to have gotten out of that alive and intact, not how unlucky I was to have been in the accident in the first place.