What did you do to your bike today ??

The news and your views about biking
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Re: What did you do to your bike today ??

Post by Cav »

I haven't spoken to anyone. With my anxiery I'm trying to pluck up the courage to speak to someone. I'm at 40% credit utilisation across 3 cards (1 is empty and makes up 50% of my credit allowance) but I want to consolidate 2 cards into 1. Just to put numbers to it, let's say the big card is 10k and the 2 other cards are 5k each. I'd need to have 30k in credit cards to do the transfer then close the 2 smaller ones. I'm super anxious I won't be allowed the new 10k but I won't know until they do a credit search.

I haven't used the bike in nearly 2 years. I used it twice in that year after another 2 year gap. The thing is, it's probably the most stable money I have at the moment as it isn't losing any money. I have the Ohlins suspension to sell separately too.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

You would almost certainly be better off taking out a bank loan to pay off the cards and closing the cards.

IMHO any credit card shou;ld never have a credit facility of more than 5k....by law. And the minimum repayment should be 10% of the outstanding balance.

They are the devils work.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Cav wrote:I haven't spoken to anyone. With my anxiery I'm trying to pluck up the courage to speak to someone. I'm at 40% credit utilisation across 3 cards (1 is empty and makes up 50% of my credit allowance) but I want to consolidate 2 cards into 1. Just to put numbers to it, let's say the big card is 10k and the 2 other cards are 5k each. I'd need to have 30k in credit cards to do the transfer then close the 2 smaller ones. I'm super anxious I won't be allowed the new 10k but I won't know until they do a credit search.

I haven't used the bike in nearly 2 years. I used it twice in that year after another 2 year gap. The thing is, it's probably the most stable money I have at the moment as it isn't losing any money. I have the Ohlins suspension to sell separately too.
Please Duke correct me if I'm wrong.

If you have a credit card with a zero balance make sure you close that before you look for any new credit. Having access to that credit facility will lower your credit score.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

It isn't that straight forward. I did that before and took a massive credit score hit which took 2 years to recover. My score is at the high 800s (average in my area is 560) so I'm doing alright.
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

Same here I have paid off 2/3 credit cards and just left them active, my credit score (Clearscore) has shot up to 943/1000 with an average in my area of 580.

I think I will keep one credit card for "Stuff" like online purchases and one-off's where the extra protection can come in handy, get it paid off every month or 2.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I've never looked at my credit score. Is it easy to do?
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I always thought that zero rate credit cards charge a fee to transfer a balance to them circa 3% or more.

You would have to sit down and work out the cost difference but a fixed term loan with a fixed rate of interest with a known repayment date sounds far more certain than any zero rate credit card transfer.

I try not to get to deeply into credit ratings, I must confess as the whole reason for their being is commercial and with the full idea of lending you more money for which they receive a fee.

I do appreciate where you are Cav as I think it’s a part of sending your through the whole financial journey of life and I am fortunate enough to be at the other end of it. Been there before and took a while to work my way through it.

I only carry my company credit card around with me and that gets paid off in full automatically by direct debit by the bank the following month. It’s also the best way to build the perfect credit rating.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

C00kiemonster wrote:I've never looked at my credit score. Is it easy to do?
Download the Experian app and it will tell you.

Most companies use Experian.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

Today I gave the bike a good foaming and wash, no polishing required thanks to the Gtechniq C2 which I applied about 6 months ago.
I tried a new to me snow foam, Auto Glym Polar Blast and it is way more foamy than the auto finess magifoam and seems to just melt all the crud. I also tried some of my Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner on the back wheel and it's come up like new, smelly stuff but very effective even against chain lube flingings.

Oh and I did the car too, productive day of cleaning.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

After a 70 mile bimble yesterday I got a reminder that the tracker subscription is about to expire, £109 seems worth it so that's being paid today.

I was just out enjoying the sun and scenery, the bike got a tank of Tesco momentum99 = 68mpg (rolf) Last time I rode with Sergio and Gaz I got it below 45mpg, which takes some doing on this bike...

It's true what they say, It's more fun to ride a slow bike quickly than a quick bike slowly.
I did spoil myself with 3 160+ bhp bikes (Multistrada 1200, MT-10, Superduke GT) on the trot so now I think this 105 bhp machine is "Slow", It's really not.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I used to feel like that riding the Versys. No power but loads of fun.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I took the MV out but the roads were pretty busy so I wasn't out for long.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I didn’t even take the covers off the bikes this break home. Literally had two fine days in 6 weeks and you wouldn’t even consider a bike ride on the roads atm as due to all the extensive flooding the roads are shocking, massive potholes everywhere. If I didn’t have my big ar$e 4WD tyres and steel rims I would’ve been in for a repair by now. Had to replace two tyres on Jess’ car so far.

Maybe next break. :?
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I took the SX out for a couple of hours. I got my favourite Old Ludlow Road in during the ride.

Then gave it a wash.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Dropped the MV off for a service.

I've got a 1290 adventure to play with.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Took the XR out for a run to the local Triumph and Ducati dealers.. Got the reminder that the PCP ends in three months, so bike shopping it is.

I've enjoyed having the XR and it's done me proud for commuting, but it doesn't have the backroad blastability that the 990 Superduke had and I do miss the naked bikes. So....

1st out. Triumph Speed Triple RS... What a machine.. After adjusting to the riding position, which didn't take long, it's surprisingly comfy and despite the 170bhp easy to ride round town. Knowing the area I headed towards some familiar lanes, the ride to get there through the built up areas was uneventful and the bike felt easy to ride, smooth throttle response in road mode and well balanced. Getting to the country lanes and switching into sport things get a little more feisty, the throttle response is a quite a bit sharper but not over the top. For a big bike it feels well balanced and easy to flick through the bends, the front feels planted and gives good feedback. Then took a blast down the M4 to see how the bike felt at motorway speeds, here Triumph have worked some voodo magic... It was comfortable riding up to about 50mph with the visor open, and no real wind blast to speak of... The bike had no screen ! voodo magic!! I've been offered an extended test ride, so will probably book this in a couple of weeks.

2nd out.. Ducati Streetfighter V2. I really wanted to like this one as it ticked all the boxes. V-Twin.. 1000cc.. gadgets... and a brand i've never owned... I didn't like it :( Like the Triumph I headed out to some lanes near the dealer that I knew, but the ride there was hard.. The riding position is a lot more compact and the mirrors are next to useless, this made it hardwork round town. Getting to the country lanes, the throttle was cracked open and the VTwin allowed to sing, and it does sing a good song. The throttle response lacks the refinement of the Triumph and is very much KTMesce, on or off. I also couldn't get settled with the bike. No confidence in the front, which on occasion had me reaching for the brake mid corner, and the rear felt like it was bouncing it's way round some of the corners.. The quick shifter was a bit on the notchy side... I cut the ride short after 30 mins and gave it back.

Next... Not sure... I want to try the Z1000 (not the H2) and maybe the MT-09..

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

The MT-10 is the only bike that I truly regret selling, just thought I would mention that ;)
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Stonesie wrote:The MT-10 is the only bike that I truly regret selling, just thought I would mention that ;)
That bike was a weapon!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Froze my nuts off riding in to work
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

Yesterday I took the baffle out and went for a random ride, one of those with no plan just get to a junction and pick a direction on the fly.

I ended up at Squires for a bit chatting and drinking coffee before heading home calling in at ASDA on the way for some odds and ends, my top box can carry a full shopping bag + bag of potatoes with ease apparently.

With the baffle out the bike has a very pleasant growl and some backfires, not bad at all with the catalyst still in place, kind of at odds with the sensible tourer appearance. Also the QS is much improved since it's service and software update, less like banging 2 hammers together below half throttle now so it's way nicer to use when I'm not thrashing it, and absolutely seamless when I am 8)