The new improved fitness thread

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Re: The new improved fitness thread

Post by kiwikrasher »

I thought he meant BBBJ
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

He's not my type. A little too much penis!
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

My legs are sore, So the sports massage certainly wasn't pleasurable.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Itchy wrote:He's not my type. A little too much penis!
You like a small one then? :*
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Explaining to the sports massager the bruises on my back was a bit uncomfortable.

"If that's how you got them you won't mind if the bruises hurt then" :D
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Chest and arms but I went with Mrs Kwacky so I didn't get into the swing of things. She's got a knee injury and isn't confidence about what to do in the gym, so I spent some time with her. I got her using the trap bar, which she said she didn't like, probably because she was sweating after the 3 sets I made her do.

On a personal note I'm now comfortable doing 50kg bench press. I know it's not much but my shoulder has been the limiting factor. Now it's my arms that are struggling so I know my shoulder is doing alright.
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

That's promising. Slow and steady wins the race!
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I'm determined to make my workout regime stick this week!! Too many things keep popping up.

Play football Sunday (very painful as playing with new boots and what is most likely a broken big toe). It was so cold my legs actually seized on my mid-run which was mildly inconvenient.

Last night I did legs. 4 sets of explosive squats (60-100kg) followed by 4 sets of standard squats (120-130kg) with an explosive 60kg set to finish off. I hit 8 reps before the lactic acid kicked in. I then did 3 sets of 100kg dead lifts resting the bar on the ground and releasing tension between every set.

Next was a bit of ab work to even out the deadlifts...

...this is an exercise I love! You should try it. Go to the pull up bar, hands close together with palms facing eachother as if doing a chin up. slowly-ish lift yourself up. As you're doing this bring your knees to meet your elbows and squeeze at the top. Do 3 sets until failure
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That sounds like hard work. Can't I get one of those electric ab machines and get abs like the models?
Cav

Post by Cav »

Haha.. nah sadly not!

I find playing football is one of the biggest ab workouts around to be honest; my intercostal muscles (muscles between your ribs) have seemingly trippled in size and so have my obliques.

The knee to elbow pull up is bloody good though and because you get them to touch you keep a really strict form for the pull up - whatever the muscle is called between my shoulders is growing like nobodies business!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Mixed tonight. Should have been doing back and shoulders. I did mu 10 minute warm up on the bike, no problem. All of the bars were taken so I couldn't do deadlifts, which is the first of my exercises, so I did lat pulldowns. My headaches started coming on but I was able to exercise through it. Did my deadlifts which were pretty decent, likewise bent over rows. Went to do cable rows and seemed to lose most of my strength, I really struggled. Rather than carry on with the back exercises I switched to shoulders, but the overhead press was really weak.

I gave up and did some TRX exercises, which I've not done for ages. I had forgotten how effective they were. Plus not using weights means I didn't get a headache or dizziness.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I went flying tonight in taekwondo, landed very heavily on my right elbow, which is fooking killing me, as is my right shoulder. I'm hoping it's just bruising.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Kwacky wrote:Mixed tonight. Should have been doing back and shoulders. I did mu 10 minute warm up on the bike, no problem. All of the bars were taken so I couldn't do deadlifts, which is the first of my exercises, so I did lat pulldowns. My headaches started coming on but I was able to exercise through it. Did my deadlifts which were pretty decent, likewise bent over rows. Went to do cable rows and seemed to lose most of my strength, I really struggled. Rather than carry on with the back exercises I switched to shoulders, but the overhead press was really weak.

I gave up and did some TRX exercises, which I've not done for ages. I had forgotten how effective they were. Plus not using weights means I didn't get a headache or dizziness.
What do you do in terms of nutrition before you work out?

I found I was getting ill frequently, looked at my calorie intake and time of the day and realised that I wasn't eating enough before my workout.

Now I go home from work, make myself 2 scrambled eggs on a single piece of wholemeal toast (sometimes with a double espresso if I'm really struggling) and my workouts are much better and more consistent
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I don't really think about it to be honest. I was told to have some porridge or a flapjack about an hour before I go to the gym but sometimes there isn't time. If I don't go to the gym within about 30 minutes of getting home then I end up not going.
Cav

Post by Cav »

An hour - 30 minutes before a workout is perfect. I'm the same as you though, if I don't go straight away I won't be going
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

First run tonight for 2 weeks!

Really enjoyed it though, looks like this daily cycling is keeping the cardio and leg strength ticking over. It's only about 6 miles a day, but there's a bloody big hill for the last leg.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

D6Nutz wrote:First run tonight for 2 weeks!

Really enjoyed it though, looks like this daily cycling is keeping the cardio and leg strength ticking over. It's only about 6 miles a day, but there's a bloody big hill for the last leg.
Cycling is definitely a good substitute for running. At school I was crap at running. But all through my teenage years I did lots of cycling, and the year prior to joining the Air Force I wa doing 300-400 km a week. Then the first week of recruit course we had to do a 2 mile run test, I was really worried about how I would do. I came second out of 77 recruits and did the 2 miler in just under 11 mins.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Went to the gym but I'm still battered from Monday. Did a few exercises but took it easy.

There's a guy who h as been going for about 3 months. I saw him last night, chest twice the size of when he started and his arms and pecs (cuz he was wearing a vest now he's so big) all covered in stretch marks.

Why do people do it? Steroids create more problems than they solve. You don't gain the same strength you would do by training naturally, your muscles look crap and everyone can spot you're on roids. Judging by the mass he's gained he's taking large doses of the stuff.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:Went to the gym but I'm still battered from Monday. Did a few exercises but took it easy.

There's a guy who h as been going for about 3 months. I saw him last night, chest twice the size of when he started and his arms and pecs (cuz he was wearing a vest now he's so big) all covered in stretch marks.

Why do people do it? Steroids create more problems than they solve. You don't gain the same strength you would do by training naturally, your muscles look crap and everyone can spot you're on roids. Judging by the mass he's gained he's taking large doses of the stuff.
Its what it does to other muscles in your body that would worry me. The heart changes significantly on steroids so i understand as well as other side effects.

Sad fact of life is that these people define themselves by how 'big' they are. I don't want a pair of tits (well i do, but not for walking around with).
Cav

Post by Cav »

I fully understand the temptations of steroids but for performance, not for how I look - I don't want to look like a 'roid head.

Yesterday I did more sprint training.... uphill. 10% incline, 20km/h 20 seconds sprints, 1minute rest. I did it for 16minutes and nearly threw up multiple times over the next hour. My legs are stuffed by my heart rate was pretty low showing that my heart is very healthy.

Resting heartrate is around 44bpm now, very strong :)