Oxford gear

The news and your views about biking
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Oxford gear

Post by D6 »

Never knew oxford did bike gear. Anyone know anything about them? I was thinking of new textile clothing and liked this and thought it a very good price.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... rod/228197" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Re: Oxford gear

Post by kiwikrasher »

I had their waterproof boots when I first got the D600. Not very good at all. Gear lever ripped a hole in them, and even a light drizzle would cause you wet feet and then it'd take 3 days to dry the boots out.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Thanks for the info, I'll get more details before doing anything. I'll give them more of a chance yet as I guess that was a while ago and they may have improved.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Absolutely mate, and that was only boots, there clothing could be absolutely fine. I should've read reviews before I bought them as they got slated in every review, but at the time I was buying a full kit and let the salesman push me into his recommendations. Which probably was stuff he was struggling to move!
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

I think they bought out BKS Leathers and then got into clothing, I assume using BKS facility's. As kiwi says they were a cheap budget brand but maybe that has changed and there worth a look now.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I'd be very interested to hear about this. I am in need of a waterproof jacket as mine is leaky now but don't have the funds for a expensive one. However for another look maybe Frank Thomas would be a good shot. Mine last me 4 years and was very cheap (think 60 odd quid) but the quality was there. It's only now it's starting to leak. Depends how lo g you want it to last for I guess
Blade

Post by Blade »

Not looked at waterproofs but got some good advice when buying Leathers that would still apply.

Look for kit with few joints and seems as these are weak points that will come apart when sliding down the road. When you start looking you notice some kit is made like a patch work quilt with lots of little panels joined together. Obsiouly look for double or triple stiching at the seams on the few that are needed. Other good tip I was given is make sure its close fitting as if you can fold the fabric its too loose and will tear again when sliding down the road.

In my experience some of the big brand name kit was poorly made so if the quality is there it really doesn't matter what the brand name is imo.

Buy the best you can find and the best you can afford is my advice. After all its not a fashion statement it's ppe that might save your life one day.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

^^^^ what blade said, buy the best you can. I spent a small fortune over winter on my commuting gear, but like D6 and Rossgo, I ride pretty much every day and it works in wet weather.

In terms of textiles I wouldn't buy anything too tight. You'll have other clothes on underneath and the waterproof stuff doesn't have stretch panels like leathers, for obvious reasons.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

This is the jacket I've got and it's pretty much spot on. It was close to £800 when it came out

http://www.fc-moto.de/Alpinestars-Tech- ... Tex-Jacket" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blade

Post by Blade »

To help ensure the correct fit I always wear what I would when riding the bike when trying stuff on.