street triple

The news and your views about biking
aidy90
Your Bike:

street triple

Post by aidy90 »

Hi everyone
I was on this fantastic forum a couple of years ago - Its great to be back :D
I had a daytona 600 that you guys helped me out with various problems with and I grew to really love the bike
However due to ill health I had to sell her
After having a year or so off, Im desperate to get back in the saddle
as im getting on a bit (50 this year) I am looking for a more upright type of riding style
I have been looking at a street triple on a 11 plate, it is the standard tripe (not the "R") and has very low miles

Are there any bad pionts I shoud look out for on this bike? Also whats a good price for this year of bike?

Or what other simular bikes would you guys recomend

Thanks for any help

Aidy
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: street triple

Post by Kwacky »

Welcome back :)

The ST seems to do well all round.

Lots of medium sized naked to look at including the Kawasaki Z750 or Z800, the Aprilia Dorsoduro, Yamaha MT-09 or MT-09 or MV Brutale
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Welcome back .

I'm the naked middleweight class I think you have already mate the best choice.

The street triple is a great bike.
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

Welcome back, I'm sure you'll enjoy the street triple its a great bit of kit and definately a bit more comfortable for us older blokes
I get knocked down but i get up again.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Enjoy the site again. Street triple is always a good bet. I had the Daytona and the bike was fabulous so having it just in a sit up and beg position can't be a bad thing!
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Street Triple is a great bike. Or at least every owner I've spoken to say that, I've not rode one personally.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

As an owner of a Daytona 675, I'd say the Striple is a cracking bike, the biggest differences between the R and the regular version is less power and rpm plus a more budget suspension and brake set up, however unless you're going to be hooning around at the bikes limit most of the time the std bike is probably all you'd need and a good buy - especially if it's a low miles rarely ridden example in good nick.

Bad points to look for would be the exup valve first and foremost, it's the only serious weakness the bikes have, but for a few hundred quid it can be removed and the bike remapped to suit. It gives issues by getting semi seized and jamming - causing the eml light to come on, however again there is a cure for spurious eml faults by way of a bit of freeware and buy yourself a cheap OBD cable - have a look at the Triumph forums for more info re "Tunecu", especially http://www.675.cc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where I know for certain you'll find all the info you could need.
Running a fairly distant second in the problems dept would be the cam chain tensioner, a nasty noisy vibe at somewhere between 6-10k rpm from the RH side of the engine would indicate the cct needs upgrading to the manual adjusting type.
Other than that they're pretty solid bikes, especially if they haven't been messed around with and haven't been neglected, good bike if you're getting back into the saddle tbh. Hth DG.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

Sorry to nitpick Deegee but don't the R and non R version have the same engine? Same as the Daytona and Daytona R have the same engine.
I thought the Daytona and Daytona R share the higher revving version and the stripple and stripple R share a slightly detuned version? I'm confused now lol.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

The two street triple's have the same engine. It is mostly down to suspension as the difference. However I do think the fully adjustable suspension is worth the extra money.

The Daytona also has titanium valves and other slight internal differences over the street.