Titanium

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Titanium

Post by Kwacky »

Do I recall correctly there was a thread on the old site about various grades of titanium?

I'm after some sprocket nuts.

Some on ebay are cheaper than others.

These are GR5 (6AL/4V) Titanium http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RacePro-Kawas ... 2ed63e18f4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prices go up to £40 for the Pro-Bolt stuff
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Re: Titanium

Post by kiwikrasher »

Grade 5 is the most common of the Ti Alloys. Its regularly used for machined parts. Most of our Titanium sheet metal in the aircraft world was 90/6/4 Grade 5.

I guess the main worry is cheaper sellers labelling it at grade 5 when the QC around the property of the metal isn't up to scratch.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I'm guessing the stresses on a sprocket nut aren't anything to worry about. If it going on a part of the bike like brakes or forks or if it wa taking a weight then I might be a bit more cautious.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Kwacky just look into the torque settings for some reason I have it in my head when I fitted titanium sprocket nuts there was a warning regards lowering the torque setting.

TBH I got mine mega cheaper S/H off ebay but if i was buying new I would just go for stainless steel and save the hard earned.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Kwacky wrote:I'm guessing the stresses on a sprocket nut aren't anything to worry about. If it going on a part of the bike like brakes or forks or if it wa taking a weight then I might be a bit more cautious.
Oh it's just the nut! I miss read and thought you were getting Ti sprockets... (blush)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

As i understood it, ( and i am no expert so please if someone knows different then correct me) titanium has a different malleability to steel. Titanium can be quite brittle at normal temperatures and if overtightened doesn't give like steel does.

Try this place, Kwacky. This seller is a poster on the PB website and is well known. Not saying its any cheaper and may be more expensive but you will know what you are getting as they make them themselves.

http://www.projection-components.co.uk/ ... -127-c.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Thanks Duke
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Blade wrote:Kwacky just look into the torque settings for some reason I have it in my head when I fitted titanium sprocket nuts there was a warning regards lowering the torque setting.

TBH I got mine mega cheaper S/H off ebay but if i was buying new I would just go for stainless steel and save the hard earned.
You're absolutely right....the trouble is Ti starts to 'stretch' when it gets close to that "really tight" part...even with lithium grease on the threads. Personally, I would never use it on a bike.....for a sprocket you might be alright, but for the perceived "weight savings" or owt like that I wouldn't bother.