SJ 4000

The news and your views about biking
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

SJ 4000

Post by kiwikrasher »

Just after some advice from those of you that have one...

After a hot tip from Blade, I'm set on getting one of these for my NZ trip, but having no experience with them I have a few questions.

Has anyone used the suction mount on a bike? I know the Go_pro one is very secure (rated to 150 mph). As I'm renting the bike I'm not to keen on sticking the adhesive mounts to it, and I don't want to put it on my helmet. I can't find a package with the suction mount, so if it's an option I'll buy it seperately.

The other option is the handle bar mount, but the screw handles on that clamp look long as, and I don't know if they would foul on anything going lock to lock.

Also I've searched about but can't find how many hours of footage I can expect on the 32 Gb card at 1080P 30fps. Will determine how many cards I need to take with me.

Lastly, does anyone know of a good video editing app that I could use on the ipad? I have the camera adaptor for the ipad so pretty sure I can import footage onto the ipad with that.

Any advice would be very helpful!
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: SJ 4000

Post by Blade »

I would go with the gopro suction mount that is compatible with the sj4000 as its guaranteed to 150mph as you say. I personally mount on a ram mount using a telferiser but for the hire bike scenario the suction mount is best IMO, plus you can then use on your stuff at home where as the telferiser is bike specific so it would be no good unless you buy a multi when you get home.

Regards cards and editing best man to speak to is Daytonandy who I'm sure will be able to answer in greater detail than I.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Duh... Good point Blade, I should've thought, just get the Go Pro one.. sorry brain is still settling into night shift.. (blush)

I already have a headstock stem fitted ram mount (similar to your Telferiser) on the Trumpy, so no dramas there.

As for footage, I've found on a the Go Pro at those settings you can get 9 hrs on a 64 gb card, so I'm guessing all things equal I should get 4-4.5 hrs on the SJ4000 useing the 32 gb card (max size it can take)

Thanks for your help Blade, I'll start shopping (happy)
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Jeez night shift and ebay are a dangerous combo.....

Just bought the SJ4000 wifi with 2 extra batteries, charger
A GoPro suction mount
2 x Samsung 32 gb Micro SDHC memory cards

Total including postage AU$190!
Blade

Post by Blade »

I thought you had it tough out there ;)

Only joking mate hope the purchase works out.myou could always sell the suction mount post trip and use your ram mount.

The good thing about the sj4000 is it can use all the gopro accessories.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Bargain, only a 100 quid in real money.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Blade wrote:I thought you had it tough out there ;)

Only joking mate hope the purchase works out.myou could always sell the suction mount post trip and use your ram mount.

The good thing about the sj4000 is it can use all the gopro accessories.
I've got a Timorese trainee assigned to me at the moment :D Gotta give the boy some experience! But (touch wood) the place is running pretty smooth atm.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

As Blade said, go-pro mounts are compatible so I use a go-pro suction mount and tie it on with a short cable just in case. Hasn't come off yet! The one thing I would say to watch is make sure you mount to something fairly stable/solid. I mounted it to my pillion cover and the footage was a bit wobbly. I think maybe stmarks has one too but could be mistaken.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

DaytonAndy wrote:As Blade said, go-pro mounts are compatible so I use a go-pro suction mount and tie it on with a short cable just in case. Hasn't come off yet! The one thing I would say to watch is make sure you mount to something fairly stable/solid. I mounted it to my pillion cover and the footage was a bit wobbly. I think maybe stmarks has one too but could be mistaken.
Cheers DaytonAndy, I plan to mount it to the tank, but I'll play around with position as needed, I've got plenty of km's to get it right!

I had a look about and it seems iMovie can do everything I need for post edit. I can't see me wanting to do more than cut, splice, text over and maybe music track overlay (mind you the Ducati is all the music needed!) And as of last iOS upgrade I've already got it free on my iPad (y)

I got 2 x 32 Gb cards, so I reckon that'll be enough storage. I plan to dump onto my iPad most evening and post edit to free up the cards, plus it's not my intention to capture every km, but just the good bits. There is a number of gorges I'm running thru' I want to get, and definitely the Rimuataka's...see pics
Attachments
rimutaka.png
rimutaka-corner-06.jpg
Blade

Post by Blade »

Awesome road, look forward to a video of you flying down there (y)
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Blade wrote:Awesome road, look forward to a video of you flying down there (y)
I'll actually be going "up" (from Wellington to Matinborough)...and hopefully no flying off the side, cause that's a long way "down" (lol)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Just a word of warning, KK. I think you might struggle to fix the camera to the Multi tank as the highest spot is the actual fuel cap and none of the tank is flat and even then i doubt you would get a decent view over the top of the screen and adjuster.

You can fix it to the camera next to either side of the bars next to the grips but you do get half the screen in the view. This is one of my early ones.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0NqV6s51Q0[/video]

Or you might be able to fix it to one of the side panels. This view here is fixed to the crash bars next to the side panel. Without a doubt the best views are the helmet fitted cams but i'm not really happy about fixing something like that to a piece of safety equipment.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l--UorMkQk8[/video]
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Thanks for that info Duke... And cool clips!

I'm definitely not keen on the helmet mount so might have to try the side panel or something similar
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

This is mounted on the wing mirror with the handle bar mount, looks like a option worth trying!
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6UHBnbimY0[/video]