Biggest Photo Ever

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Biggest Photo Ever

Post by duke63 »

I remember listening to Billy Bragg doing a radio interview about his early touring days in a van.

He said their big topic of discussion was quite often the question:

Which is more scary? That we are the only forms of life on this earth or that there are other forms of life out there? :^
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I'm not a great fan of homo sapien. I wouldn't be too pissed off if we disappeared.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

If we carry on as we do, it wont be that long, :( Life is cycles and so is the way this planet exist's, and when you look at the history of the planet we are well overdue the next big species purge! possibly time for the insects to run the world ;)
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Frankie wrote:If we carry on as we do, it wont be that long, :( Life is cycles and so is the way this planet exist's, and when you look at the history of the planet we are well overdue the next big species purge! possibly time for the insects to run the world ;)
If the universe is infinite that's already happened an infinite number of times
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

This is where my head starts to explode, the way I understand it is that the further out into the universe we go, the further back in history it is, as we are looking at stars in the sky where they have already gone, it is only now the light is getting to us... So I don't dont get the infinite angle as it has gone?

Or have I just had one too many calm me down drinks tonight lol....
Monty

Post by Monty »

Think of it as a bubble with a radius of 13.6 billion light years traveling through the universe. That's all we can see because that's how old the universe is.

Light on the edge of the bubble has only just got to us but it started travelling 13.6 billion years ago
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Monty

Post by Monty »

..... or just watch Carl Sagan's Cosmos on YouTube. It's a bit out of date now, things like Quasars are now know to be Black Holes but he's got a brilliant way of making it easy to understand
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

So it must be smaller now then, as some of that light is exploding stars and dying suns which are no longer there, or does it just remain and stay black?

Hold that thought I am about to embark on watching it now :)

Edit> Just started to watch, is it me or does he look like the template they used for all the puppets on stingray, thunderbirds, captain scarlet, and most of Gerry Anderson stuff...lol....
Last edited by Frankie on 21 Jan 2015, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Monty

Post by Monty »

No it's bigger, space is expanding and the rate of expansion is increasing.

One day the rate of expansion will exceed the speed of light and we no longer be able to see other galaxies.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

This is why I just take photos of the moon and look at the stars... Doh!
So if we were to go into space to visit new worlds, we would have to travel further than we would have to now.!!!

Anyone watching ascension on Sky 1, I mention this as they have been on a space ship for 51 years (half way through the trip), on route to somewhere? knowing that it will take generations to get there, but all the time they are on planet earth and they dont know.... ha ha now that's f---ed up!
Monty

Post by Monty »

Frankie wrote:So if we were to go into space to visit new worlds, we would have to travel further than we would have to now.!!!
In simple terms, we won't anyway.

Our Galaxy is 100,000 light years in diameter and the nearest Galactic neighbour is 2,500,000 light years away! So even if light speed was possible and it's not, it's not feasible.

To put that into context our nearest star is less than 5 light years away and it would take Voyager at it's current speed 10s of thousands of years to get there.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Monty wrote:
Frankie wrote:So if we were to go into space to visit new worlds, we would have to travel further than we would have to now.!!!
In simple terms, we won't anyway.

Our Galaxy is 100,000 light years in diameter and the nearest Galactic neighbour is 2,500,000 light years away! So even if light speed was possible and it's not, it's not feasible.

To put that into context our nearest star is less than 5 light years away and it would take Voyager at it's current speed 10s of thousands of years to get there.
Me and Kwacky would p1ss that trip in 5 minutes on our Kwackers (giggle)
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Cheers Monty, have never watched that before, made in 1980 wow, I get that the universe is expanding, but considering our own galaxy's size and we cant even get across that and explore much of it I don't see us getting further ha ha as you say.

Very interesting watch for sure, I have to say I am amazed when I tried to find a guy he mentioned Eratosthenes who was around in (276 BCE- 195 BCE) As he discovered the world was round way before anyone else, but does not seem to have been given the credit as all his writings were lost for a while. Very few sites when I searched for him mention him at all!
Anyway cheers, good viewing as the universe is expanding so has my mind lol.
Monty

Post by Monty »

The micro universe is even more mind bending.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayvbKaf ... freload=10[/video]
Monty™© MCMLXXII
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

It's like that dude blabbering on about "other life would not be very developed"....

HOW IN THE FECK WOULD YOU KNOW THAT?? I mean seriously, who comes up with crap like that??
It's absolutely mindless arrogance to assume such a thing....Arthur C. Clarke would tear that guy an new asshole.