Websites

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
R34PER
Your Bike: Yamaha XJ6-N

Websites

Post by R34PER »

Is there any potential for money in making a free to use website to provide a useful service that is not currently satisfactorily covered?
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Websites

Post by Kwacky »

Yes. In brief. There are a few ways to do that, adverts being the obvious or you could get the site sponsored.
R34PER

Post by R34PER »

I probably wont follow it up due to lack of time, I just had a bit of an idea while I was online the other day and thought it could be something useful if it existed in the way I imagined it. after searching around there are some examples of a basic version of what I was thinking but nothing comprehensive. I viewed the idea as kind of a "go to" site for a specific purpose and I would have thought that there are lots of ways to advertise it due to the sector if focuses on having a large online presence. The only downside would be it getting lost amongst the amount of other sites within the sector.
R34PER

Post by R34PER »

also, how do you maintain your high google search result with this site?
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

R34PER wrote:also, how do you maintain your high google search result with this site?
Magic...

It's very difficult to make money from adverts, you have to have a decent user base and your click through rate has to be quite high. You also have to deal with feckers like me that run ad blockers on every single site they visit.

As for the google ranking you need to learn a lot about how they rank stuff. Here we have a few benefits that work well, google loves sites with fresh content to index. As a forum we always have fresh content and it's very easy for google to find, because of this we get indexed quite a lot. This frequency of indexing keeps us at a decent position for the searches. One of the other keys is relevant link backs, and as I know a lot of people (me included) have links in signatures for other bike forums we get some good link backs.

SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) is a bit of a black art, but a little bit of reading will help work out. There are also a lot of companies world wide that make a lot of money from SEO.

If you want any help or just have questions, feel free to send me a PM and I'll do what I can to help.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
R34PER

Post by R34PER »

I have a lot to learn but my sister wants a maternity project so I may see if she wants to start researching some data for me and then I can try and get an idea of the kind of size of task it will be. and thanks for your help :)