Shoreham Airshow Disaster

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Shoreham Airshow Disaster

Post by Kwacky »

Sorry, I meant one off in terms of fatally injuring spectators, hence calling it a one off disaster. I'm aware planes crash, see my earlier post about flying over the seas.

Wasnt the last crash in the uk involving spectators about 60 years ago?

No one complained about spitfires, hurricanes, Lancasters, Bristols etc flying over London to celebrate their achievements in World War

I think we're turning into a knee jerk nation wanting an immediate and dramatic response without waiting for an investigation and the facts.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I watched two MiGs collide at Farnborough airshow about 15 years ago.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Accidents happen where ever humans are involved it's a fact of life we will most likely never stop. We can reduce the frequency of accidents and we can reduce their impact through good quality risk assessment and implementation of appropriate controls but accidents will almost certainly continue wherever there is a variable (human) involved.

Crashes and fatalities with vehicles of all kinds is a extremely sad and unfortunate occurence but even more unfortunately it's a pretty regular occurrence so we should not take a knee jerk reaction in this instance as we wouldn't with others. Better to await the outcome of a detailed investigation and implement the recommended safety controls.

It's awful and sad but we have to accept we will have fatal accidents we just need to do our best to reduce there frequency and impact to as low as reasonably practicable.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

We all need to learn from all tragedies as a human race otherwise we would never have progressed from spear throwing.

I don't think anyone is advocating banning airshows but you have to question the sense in allowing very old planes to perform stunts over public areas.

Sometimes it takes a tragic incident like this to realise that.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Purely a guess but as air frames have limited hours of service I imagine those old jets are like triggers broom :?
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Interesting stuff here on air frame life. Seems it based on flights and types of flight rather than age.

http://aviation.stackexchange.com/quest ... in-general" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Well put Blade.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Blade wrote:Purely a guess but as air frames have limited hours of service I imagine those old jets are like triggers broom :?
Made out of wood?
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

D6 wrote:
Blade wrote:Purely a guess but as air frames have limited hours of service I imagine those old jets are like triggers broom :?
Made out of wood?
Some are yup.

Airframes are life's by flight hours rather than age because the frame fatigues under flying stresses. All servicings and inspections are based off the flying hours.

A properly serviced and inspected airframe of appropriate hours is as safe as you can get. The technology in newer aircraft does make them inherently safer, but it doesn't mean the older ones are 'unsafe'.

I do believe more thought should be put into aircraft trajectory during sideshows rather than just 'not over public', especially in low altitude aeros. You could be over a non populated area but be aiming back at the crowd when it goes wrong.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.