Clutch friction plate change

The news and your views about biking
R1ckster
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC

Clutch friction plate change

Post by R1ckster »

Hi peeps

is this a 20 min job? Need to change mine as its slipping under heave load and have a "spare set" used but came with a complete clutch unit.. Looks tidy so thought I stick them on instead of buying new Clutch kit.... Just wondered if its just take the case off...undo the springs and just swap out the plates?

concerned about the clutch cable bit in case I have to take this off and then do all the adjusting after etc

Cheers
Ric
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: Clutch friction plate change

Post by Blade »

While since I've done it but yes quite simple and easy from memory, probably 20-30 mins.

I would measure the used plates first though to check there within tolerance or could be no better. I would also measure the spring free length whilst its apart as there not expensive to replace either.
R1ckster
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC

Post by R1ckster »

Thanks mate. Will do Cheers ;)
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Make absolutely sure sure there isn't any other reason for it to slip first though, you know the drill - cable adjustment, or cable sticking internally, clutch arm bearings seized, weak clutch springs etc.

If the friction plates are worn out, I'd guess by the time you've drained the oil, removed the brake pedal (if req'd), pulled off the cover, removed the plates, checked the friction plates for wear and the steel plates for warping, plus reassemble the whole lot and refill with oil, it'd be closer to an hour or so. Also factor in time for drinking tea, eating biscuits and taking pics of knackered parts for us lot to look at, could be a mornings work if you work it right - in fact I reckon it'll probably take about the same time as it takes Mrs Rickster to do the shopping and put it all away...... (giggle)
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

If I have mine on the side stand as the clutch is on the right-hand side no need to drain the oil which makes things a little quicker.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Blade wrote:If I have mine on the side stand as the clutch is on the right-hand side no need to drain the oil which makes things a little quicker.
Good point, I've seen racers do a clutch strip with the bike leant on a pile of tyres to keep the oil in, but I was thinking the oil might have suffered some burning from the heat and slippage and there might be a fair bit of old friction plate suspended in that oil. However if the oil is in good order I'd leave it in no question.