The cycling thread

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Re: The cycling thread

Post by D6Nutz »

D41 wrote:Higher stem might also give the same relief without quickening up the steering.
It's already as high as it will go. Hadn't thought about the repercussions of changing the stern length though. Interesting point D.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

D6Nutz wrote:So, long ride today.

Cleats + cycling shoes = amazing comfort.

No more losing sensation in my feet. Bike fit is also now nearly spot on, only minor discomfort from my back. Considering a slightly shorter stem as I think I'm over reaching slightly.Image

how tall are you and what length stem is on it now ?
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Perkles wrote:
D6Nutz wrote:So, long ride today.

Cleats + cycling shoes = amazing comfort.

No more losing sensation in my feet. Bike fit is also now nearly spot on, only minor discomfort from my back. Considering a slightly shorter stem as I think I'm over reaching slightly.Image

how tall are you and what length stem is on it now ?
Bout 5"9.

Think this is right for the stem measurement.Image

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

stems about right I am 5,7" in my high heels and use a 11mm stem ,tilt the bars up at an angle and try that
Let me see a side shot of your bike up against a wall or garage
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Perkles wrote:stems about right I am 5,7" in my high heels and use a 11mm stem ,tilt the bars up at an angle and try that
Let me see a side shot of your bike up against a wall or garage
When cruising I find my hands about an inch or so back from the hoods for maximum comfort.Image

Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

put that saddle flat to start with and push it forward 10mm, bars are tilted more than enough
A good tip is to also angle your levers in its far more comfortable on your wrists and and shoulders
I will take a few photos of my set up later
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Sorting the seat helped me LOADS on my MTB. I raised it, slid it forward or back (can't remember which) but most importantly, I made it perfectly flat.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Perkles wrote:put that saddle flat to start with and push it forward 10mm, bars are tilted more than enough
A good tip is to also angle your levers in its far more comfortable on your wrists and and shoulders
With the saddle flat I find myself constantly pushing myself back on the saddle, it's also a lot more comfortable on the gentleman area when slightly tilted. I'll try bringing it forwards some more though.

Cav

Post by Cav »

The downside of having it tilted is you put more weight toward your wrists and hands which could be why you find it uncomfortable. It's all a trade off though so maybe bringing it forward will be enough for you.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

D6Nutz wrote:
Perkles wrote:put that saddle flat to start with and push it forward 10mm, bars are tilted more than enough
With the saddle flat I find myself constantly pushing myself back on the saddle, it's also a lot more comfortable on the gentleman area when slightly tilted. I'll try bringing it forwards some more though.
its either to high then or not enough forward,when you ride you should be able to drop your heal on the downward stroke without leaning to one side or feeling uncomfortable
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Perkles wrote:
D6Nutz wrote:
its either to high then or not enough forward,when you ride you should be able to drop your heal on the downward stroke without leaning to one side or feeling uncomfortable
I have no hip rotation when cycling, but I did adjust the saddle height when I put the new peddles on. Maybe I went a little too high. I'll try dropping it slightly and moving it slightly forward.

Also, to be honest I was only a minor discomfort not backache. And thinking about it, it probably didn't help me falling off at nearly 20mph (blush) (blush) was head down and drifted left, caught the left peddle on the kerb and went flying into the greenery :S (wasntme) :D :D

Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I still get backache now and ive been racing competitively since the age of 11 ,cycling is tough on the lower back its bent over in an un natural position and exposed to the cold
It also shortens the hamstrings so stretching them out after a ride is very important
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Perkles wrote:I still get backache now and ive been racing competitively since the age of 11 ,cycling is tough on the lower back its bent over in an un natural position and exposed to the cold
It also shortens the hamstrings so stretching them out after a ride is very important
I'm used to stretching from the running, I'm also keeping running and strength work in the equation so hopefully should avoid any hamstring issues.

D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Perkles wrote: its either to high then or not enough forward,when you ride you should be able to drop your heal on the downward stroke without leaning to one side or feeling uncomfortable
That's a good way of putting it. I always figure your knees should be "not quite locked" on the downstroke.

A proper bike-fitting from a cycling-coach-bike-fitting-person is always worth a try for anyone at all. Had one done years ago, and she sorted out one or two things for me. Not stuff you'd really notice on a quick ride, but stuff that starts to wear on you during a race, or longer ride.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Brake levers pointing in to each other ,flat saddle tilted bars ,Ideally you want to be sitting in the bike rather than on it if that makes sense
I have a 30" inside leg and my saddle height is centre of bottom bracket to top of the saddle about 725mm
Attachments
IMG-2432.jpg
IMG-2431.jpg
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Oh, I like that!! The Bianchi blue sets it off nicely.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Perkles wrote:Brake levers pointing in to each other ,flat saddle tilted bars ,Ideally you want to be sitting in the bike rather than on it if that makes sense
I have a 30" inside leg and my saddle height is centre of bottom bracket to top of the saddle about 725mm
Ok, so I've moved the saddle way forward and lifted it a bit.

A quick test ride round the village and I now feel much more over the front wheel and can comfortably rest in the hoods. I've still got a slight forward tilt on the saddle but I'll try and adjust it in smaller changes now.

Cheers for the tips, it is appreciated.

Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Sainntbury today which is next to fish hill ,my legs blew apart on the way home and I didnt eat enough :(
Attachments
Screenshot_20200509-233203_Chrome.jpg
Cav

Post by Cav »

Fish hill was tough on my SV650 for crying out loud haha!
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Cav wrote:Fish hill was tough on my SV650 for crying out loud haha!
ImageImage

Supposed to be a recovery ride, but turned out a bit quicker even though it's fecking windy.Image