Sprockets

The news and your views about biking
Perkles
Your Bike:

Re: Sprockets

Post by Perkles »

Cav wrote:From stuff I've done in materials and the in-house anodising we do I always thought it was pretty much just a surface coating
at my old company we used birmingham hard anodising almost every day ,the geek there told me all about it which was nice :D
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Re: Sprockets

Post by kiwikrasher »

Perkles wrote:
Cav wrote:From stuff I've done in materials and the in-house anodising we do I always thought it was pretty much just a surface coating
at my old company we used birmingham hard anodising almost every day ,the geek there told me all about it which was nice :D
It depends on what application the anodising is done for. Corrosion resistance anodising is usually rather shallow in penetration (and can be dyed/coloured). Hard annodising is primarily for wear resistance and is usually done to a greater depth. It is all a function of the current applied during the process and the type of electrolyte used. I have no expertise is how deep they annodise sprockets, but from my aircraft days I know the hard annodising gave very good wearability properties (equal to case hardened steel) to components while retaining the lightweight advantage of aluminium.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.