North Wales loop

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

North Wales loop

Post by Kwacky »

Edski from 675cc has kindly drawn up this loop of roads he recommends in north wales

I'll add it to the routes section tonight when I get home.

http://tinyurl.com/oegfrqk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.675.cc/675/threads/any-ride- ... may.26586/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's very long and you can prune bits, eg when you turn right out of the Pondy, you can turn left at the roundabout instead of going into Ruthin and Denbigh. If you take a left, that's a brilliant road, we did it on the Fest last year, I have vivid memories of Red675 absolutely flying past me... you will come out at traffic lights on the A5 and then just stay on the A5 into BYC, it's a bit boring until you get to the twisties just before BYC but it saves quite a few miles (and about an hour).

On the way back, if you don't have time to do the Cambrian Mountains route from Bala, which would be a great shame, then you'd go out of Bala on the A494 headed northeast. However if you do the A494 don't just stick to the very boring main road, about a mile out of Bala take a right onto the B4401 through Llandrillo. It's signed 'Llanderfel' but you don't go there, you stay on the B4401 over the River Dee. This is a gorgeous road!!! It joins up with the A5 just before Corwen, so you'd turn right, no mileage saving but a lovely twisty road, bit technical in places, and great views through the Dee valley.

if you do do the Cambrian Mountains rote, about a mile outside Penybontfawr (ie go through the village) there is a sufdden left turn about half way up the hill, difficult to see, signed Oswestry. You must take that road else you'll get hopelessly lost, nice small country road with a very tight right bend, at the end of the road turn right and stay on that road to Llynclys (sounds Welsh but is in England, pronounced 'Lun-clas') and go straight across the A483 through Knockin, follow the signs for the A5, you come out at a roundabout at the end of the Nesscliffe bypass, take a right for Shrewsbury.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Re: North Wales loop

Post by DaytonAndy »

He certainly gets about! I tried one of the roads he recommended last year. The B something near Bala. Quite bumpy but what a road!
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Wow, that looks like quite a route.. From here though I think I'd need to camp up about half way round...
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

You can camp in my garden :D
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I want to try and get a week day out this summer and try some of the roads in North Wales.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Some good roads there but I reckon our current Wales run is better IMO.

Duke you coming Wales midweek on 22nd July ?
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Ed does like his traveling! Unsure how he gets these directions so precise. He really goes the whole hog though. When we had our fest he did lay on a great day of riding. I know I day it a lot but I need to get out into Wales more!
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Blade wrote:Some good roads there but I reckon our current Wales run is better IMO.

Duke you coming Wales midweek on 22nd July ?
Weather ( and probably work ) permitting yes should be there.