Daytona 600 - 2 years of darkness!

The news and your views about biking
jlawie
Your Bike: Daytona 600 2004

Re: Daytona 600 Bling!

Post by jlawie »

1050 Throttle Tube ordered. Worth a try for 8quid!
Spudda
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650 aka 'Doris'

Post by Spudda »

id be interested on your thoughts (y)
It's Nice To Be Important BUT Its Important To Be Nice ©
jlawie

Post by jlawie »

Spudda wrote:id be interested on your thoughts (y)
Will let you know next week
jlawie

Post by jlawie »

Getting closer to a return!
uploadfromtaptalk1396334334740.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1396334374399.jpg
jlawie

Post by jlawie »

Not ridden yet, but literally a 5 minute job! Worth a try at that.

But what a bloody arse having to remove the forks to change the oil!!!!
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Daytona 600 - 2 years of darkness!

Post by Kwacky »

Good progress. It'll feel like a new bike.
evo
Your Bike: 2012 Triumph Rocket III Roadster, 2005 Triumph Daytona 650

Post by evo »

Trying to get my D650 up and running after 2 years also…electrical problems, mostly.

Did you have to change the fuel pump because it was sitting so long? I see you have a complete assembly there… If so, where did you get it? and how much?

cheers, and enjoy riding!
jlawie

Post by jlawie »

evo wrote:Trying to get my D650 up and running after 2 years also…electrical problems, mostly.

Did you have to change the fuel pump because it was sitting so long? I see you have a complete assembly there… If so, where did you get it? and how much?

cheers, and enjoy riding!
Just changed the filter as I'd never done it before. Was only £12 or so. Only takes about 15mins aswell, so worth doing.
wazza675
Your Bike: '06 TRiumph Daytona 675

Post by wazza675 »

Think I remember you from old times... I was bluedaytona02 originally.

Since you're an Aussie, get most things OS, but don't get more than AU$1000 shipped in a single transaction as they'll charge import duties. I only use the local stealer for cheap things like gaskets and the 1050 throttle tube suggested above.

Don't know why you dropped out the forks. I work on Juz's bike all the time and never drop the forks (unless of course they're being rebuilt). You will get oil on the headers when you take the spin-on filter off, otherwise it's just the sump drain plug and filler plug on the engine case. I've done the plugs, air filter and lots of other bits as well, all without moving the forks.

Suggest you get a 675 recall reg-rec to try and preempt the inevitable. The recall ones should be plug n play, even for the old D6, although Triumph won't do it for you here. You should be able to find one second hand pretty easily on ebay though.

I'd suggest you don't use Motul either as Trumpy's run like crap with it. I've just replaced the Motul oil in Juz's bike, as it was running like a pig - the box wouldn't shift gear. Now with the Delo I can again shift without the cluch (on race stands) with my hand. I was also told to avoid Motul by others who've raced 675s here.
I'm using Caltex Delo 400 (multigrade) - same as the American Shell Rotella. It's a diesel oil but it's fully synthetic and doesn't have any friction modifiers that cause clutch slip. Dunno where you live, but my local Caltex oil dealer sells the 20L drums for $115. Other dealers have been known to do it cheaper. I was put onto it by one of the racers I know (in Adelaide) through triumph675.net where I also lurk. There are several variants but make sure it's the basic Delo multigrade as the others have the friction modifiers.

Careful taking off the tank when you check the air filter and plugs. Hopefully someone has saved my old D6.org thread with the fuel plug numbers from a Melbourne based medical supplier. The plastic ones snap like twigs but you can get metal replacements that are also dry-break.

Make sure you don't leave the fuel pump gasket out for very long as it shrinks... been there, done that with Juz's bike.

Juz is running Berringer rotors that are amazing. We've teamed them with Carbone Lorraine C59 pads, a 675 Nissin master cylinder (that needed a lot of work to fit, so get the 16mm R1 unit instead!!!) and custom braided brake lines. It's now got some great breaks instead of the OEM ones which were as effective as dragging your boots.

Stomp grip helps a lot, although it peels off after a while (but I don't know why). The Tech Spec looks better though and doesn't wear your apparel.

SES (in the UK) do rear-sets but they take a bit of fiddling to fit. They've got a shift rod (like the D650) instead of the lever that bolts directly to the gear shaft. This will give you a greater range of adjustment in both the peg and lever positions. The pegs also offer far more grip.

A slip-on should be easy to find as it's the same bolt pattern as the old ZX6R's and some other bikes (like the Bandit I think).

Waz
jlawie

Post by jlawie »

Well after 2 years she's back!

First commute on her today. Massive smile!!!

Running smoother and quieter than ever. New fuel filter seems to have done wonders for the running issues I used to have.

If anyone's looking at those cheap ebay levers I linked above, the fitment is as good a stock! Arrived in a week and look amazing. Very impressed!

Here's to summer!!!!
jlawie

Post by jlawie »

Zero slack! Well worth it for 7quid.

Much easier on the wrists down the motorway. Still very manageable round the town and lanes
dizzyw
Your Bike: Red Daytona 600

Post by dizzyw »

^^^ what he said

I've done that to mine spudda, 5 minute job and much better throttle feel (IMO)
A good woman can make you feel strong, rejuvenated and ready to take on the world.... oh sorry.....thats beer....beer does that
Spudda

Post by Spudda »

jlawie wrote:
Zero slack! Well worth it for 7quid.

Much easier on the wrists down the motorway. Still very manageable round the town and lanes
dizzyw wrote:^^^ what he said

I've done that to mine spudda, 5 minute job and much better throttle feel (IMO)
Got a link to £7 quid one ?? cheapest I can see is £12
Does it get rid of some of the low speed jerkyness ??
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

Spudda, the throttle mod means you have to twit the grip through a smaller angle than the OEM.

For example if you have to twist the OEM throttle through 80 degrees to go from closed to 100% throttle then put the Speed triple throtle on you might have to twist through 60 degrees. I preferred it on my daytona. In theory it would make any snatchiness worse.
Spudda

Post by Spudda »

Godzilla wrote:Spudda, the throttle mod means you have to twit the grip through a smaller angle than the OEM.
I get that ... I'm just sounding myself out by having higher revs with a little twist
dizzyw
Your Bike: Red Daytona 600

Post by dizzyw »

A good woman can make you feel strong, rejuvenated and ready to take on the world.... oh sorry.....thats beer....beer does that
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

I haven't read all the thread, but I take it has tail tidy and nice plate ? plus lots of carbon bling etc etc etc ,
Nice carbon chain guard and carbon tank protector oh and those cute little led indictors???
I'm off now :D
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!