The cycling thread

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Re: The cycling thread

Post by Cav »

Went up the Long Mynd and back down Minton Batch. Not a big ride but one hell of a long climb to the top!
Screenshot_20210825-183655_Gallery.jpg
Always a sign of an enjoyable ride
Screenshot_20210825-183757_Gallery.jpg
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

The Long Mynd is beautiful and hard roads/tracks
Cav

Post by Cav »

Yeah it's really something to see. I kept falling into ruts on the climb because I was looking at the scenery.

Really bloody rocky descent.. I'm amazed I didn't rip a tyre :D

I'd like to explore more of it but I don't think it's worth a dedicated 4 hour round trip
Cav

Post by Cav »

So Strava lost my data upon requesting an upload but I checked with the trails and worked out how much I did.

32.8km
1132m climbing

This was 2 full runs of the Verderers Blue XC trail and 6 laps of DH.

The recently refurbished blue-rated Countdown and Launchpad trails are epic. You drop 20 or 30m into a 6ft berm in places. It's just plain FUN!
Cav

Post by Cav »

Hopefully going to my mate's local trails with him tomorrow along with another friend. I'm sure it will end in tears for one of us - hopefully that's not me.

I'll be stripping, cleaning and greasing my headset too because it's creaking far too much.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Great ride on Friday at my mates local.. awesome trails and did my first super steep 12ft roll in.

Today I found a couple of hours to get up to my local. Was super relaxed and ended up going really quick. I just had a hoot.
Cav

Post by Cav »

New saddle fitted and it feels much better after a quick blat trying to bed my brakes in.
SPD pedals fitted too.... that's a palava to setup isn't it! Trying to get cleat position correct is slow progress.
Commuting by bike tomorrow so will see if I have to stop after 20 minutes to relieve my crushed appendages.
Cav

Post by Cav »

That saddle.... even if I end up hating this one, it's infinitely better than the stock unit. My only discomfort by the end was on my sit bones. I need to bring the nose up a little to get the weight off my wrists though.

SPDs... I didn't crash yet. I didn't have them setup right either but one was nearly right (just slightly off angle) and one was way off... pedalling through my toes it felt like.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Cav wrote:That saddle.... even if I end up hating this one, it's infinitely better than the stock unit. My only discomfort by the end was on my sit bones. I need to bring the nose up a little to get the weight off my wrists though.

SPDs... I didn't crash yet. I didn't have them setup right either but one was nearly right (just slightly off angle) and one was way off... pedalling through my toes it felt like.
should be on the ball of your foot ankle slightly angled out, SPDs have lateral movement they dont need to be positioned mega accurately
ket
Your Bike: Canyon Ultimate

Post by ket »

I fell off and cracked 3 ribs hit a small pothole going into a corner in the wet couldn't make the corner and head butted a railway bridge wall.

Ok now though. its strange I was quite concussed but you dont know it at the time. I distinctly remember seeing a manhole cover and I thought it was that, but ive since been and theres no manhole cover there at all.

Hospital goes did you lose your memory at all, said no, well you cant remember what you cant remember can you. turns out though I did as the couple that found me told my mate that picked me up I was incoherent and talking nonsense. (which I cant remember).

stay safe

But I since did a race at Thruxton surrounded by 40 other bikes and didn't fall off !! despite the efforts of the rest. And didnt get dropped either :)

oh and also - Scott Redding goes up there, has gone from a cat 4 to cat 2 in one season, he won the elite mens race, 2 of his mates with him race in super sport or superstock I think and they were in my race. All kitted out in muck off skin suits
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Ouch!! Hope you heal up quickly. (y)
Last edited by D41 on 23 Sep 2021, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
ket

Post by ket »

D41 wrote:Ouch!! Hope you heal up qui
hi mate all fine now was 3 months ago. bugger to sleep with broke ribs though
ket

Post by ket »

Get a good helmet - mine was very compressed on the temple, had bruising behind my ear for a week. since upgraded to a MIPS one
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

You don't do things by half, do you Ket?
Cav

Post by Cav »

Jeez.. I'd describe all of that as unpleasant.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

ket wrote:I fell off and cracked 3 ribs hit a small pothole going into a corner in the wet couldn't make the corner and head butted a railway bridge wall.

Ok now though. its strange I was quite concussed but you dont know it at the time. I distinctly remember seeing a manhole cover and I thought it was that, but ive since been and theres no manhole cover there at all.

Hospital goes did you lose your memory at all, said no, well you cant remember what you cant remember can you. turns out though I did as the couple that found me told my mate that picked me up I was incoherent and talking nonsense. (which I cant remember).

stay safe

But I since did a race at Thruxton surrounded by 40 other bikes and didn't fall off !! despite the efforts of the rest. And didnt get dropped either :)

oh and also - Scott Redding goes up there, has gone from a cat 4 to cat 2 in one season, he won the elite mens race, 2 of his mates with him race in super sport or superstock I think and they were in my race. All kitted out in muck off skin suits
why dont you try flower arranging or something more gentle
Cav

Post by Cav »

I've ordered some lights.

Lezyne Zecko Front250/Rear80 set
MagicShine Ray 2600

The set should help me be seen, the Ray should help me see. I also have a 1200lm torch which I'm going to try mounting to my helmet for night rides.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Cav wrote:I've ordered some lights.

Lezyne Zecko Front250/Rear80 set
MagicShine Ray 2600

The set should help me be seen, the Ray should help me see. I also have a 1200lm torch which I'm going to try mounting to my helmet for night rides.
I used to do a lot of night MTB riding and you do need a handlebar and helmet mount light of similar brightness to maintain depth perception and contour recognition. I had a wide beam on the bars and a spot beam on the helmet. This was 15 yrs ago when LED lights were only just coming out and expensive, so I home built a couple of sets and got heat sinks machined up for them. Can't remember the ratings now but the guys I rode with used to make me go first as there old bulb lights were so much dimmer I cast shadows on their line of sight if i was behind them (lol)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Haha.. that's been the feedback on the Ray 2600 - that it cast shadows in other peoples light.

My torch will pair up fairly well and I'll trial them in both places to see which I prefer. Most people seem to like the powerful light on the bars and the lower power on the helmet but I'll see which one I like most.

The big one has been dispatched already :)
Cav

Post by Cav »

Ordered 3 sets of main pivot bearings. 6 months and 400km has notched the crap out of the stock ones. I'm hoping I can get them through Winter before changing but we'll see if that's possible.

I was going to order a new top headset bearing but only the stock one is in stock... the stock one has completely disassembled itself so no thanks.