Work

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Re: Work

Post by Stonesie »

Today 2 more drivers quit and yesterday a new starter took out the bus wash and most of the bodywork on the near side of the vehicle, awesome.

And this little insight in to our management came to light, Sheffield are the main depot with my depot (Doncaster) as the secondary under Sheffield's control
https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/s ... t-MrCdmL2s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I personally didn't refuse cash but did encourage card payments, but how management dealt with it is another reason why so many are leaving. They don't give a flying one.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

That's not a working environment you want to be in
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

I'm working on it, I was going back to be a mechanic but that's a trade which will face a massive decline when EV's take over, they don't need much maintenance compared to the regular servicing of a petrol or diesel.

2 weeks until my theory test and CPC.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

For the near future, 10-20 years, I'd say quite the opposite. I think world+dog+mates will all be heading to the ev world. Proper mechanics who can actually wield a spanner in anger will be in shorter supply.

However HGV is looking like s good short (ish) term bet IMO.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

I'm really hoping for a change of luck, as a mechanic my boss took me off a 3 1/2 year apprenticeship after 3 years for no apparent reason, I was top 3 in EVERY test and 2x more efficient than my targets and improving... So I'm not actually a qualified mechanic, but have proven myself at work time and again to be better at fault diagnosis than most of the engineers they employ.

I have considered the sideways step of moving from driver to fitter but I would be told to bodge the vehicles back together and send them out fast... I don't work that way, I wouldn't last a week.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Have you ever considered setting up and working for yourself?

Different trades I know, but it's the best thing I ever did.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Stonesie wrote:I'm really hoping for a change of luck, as a mechanic my boss took me off a 3 1/2 year apprenticeship after 3 years for no apparent reason, I was top 3 in EVERY test and 2x more efficient than my targets and improving... So I'm not actually a qualified mechanic, but have proven myself at work time and again to be better at fault diagnosis than most of the engineers they employ.

I have considered the sideways step of moving from driver to fitter but I would be told to bodge the vehicles back together and send them out fast... I don't work that way, I wouldn't last a week.
That's so common in smaller companies. They do it to keep your costs down. It happens all the time in Engineering and often the promised education seizes after Level 3.
Cav

Post by Cav »

I had a mental battle day yesterday (by mental battle I mean I brutally beat myself up over 8 hours) during a slow day at work, so today I've been trying to better myself.
I got to work trying to develop my understanding of Fluid Mechanics, specifically Internal Flow, how to control the Entrance Length and how to maintain flow downstream. I got some anxiety looking at the formulas again as I realised I don't remember them but also some reassurance from the data tables.

We are well overdue our 1:1s this year and I plan to discuss secondments with my Manager. I really want to bridge my Engineering knowledge with Business/Sales and I hope to sell the argument that it will help me with my current role and career progression. I plan to stay in the team for at least as long as this segment of the project continues but after that I need some change. It's been a frustrating inheritance.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

The latest management trick, offered a 20p per hour pay raise and a £300 Christmas bonus...

But reduced sign on time and other times they pay to allow for delays at the start of a lunch break for example, -15 mins a day.

Where that leaves us is £450 ish worse off at the end of the year (facepalm)

I tried to warn my colleagues, and so did others, but the union officials were saying that's silly and can't happen...
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

ive been told get a vaccine or else.....
I want to retire and go off the grid I hate this world at the moment
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

I want to retire and go off the grid.... don't have enough wedge :( so will have to keep on working.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I've had enough of work. There's no enthusiasm or reward for me any more.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Seems there's a running theme.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It's called getting old (lol)
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

I still really enjoy what I do, and there is still plenty of enjoyment and challenges agreed of me.

Retirement would be bliss though, never having to deal with **** HMRC again. Just been hit with a very unexpected tax bill and I've got no where near the funds needed to settle it.

So much for going PAYE makes life easier..

duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

D6Nutz wrote:I still really enjoy what I do, and there is still plenty of enjoyment and challenges agreed of me.

Retirement would be bliss though, never having to deal with **** HMRC again. Just been hit with a very unexpected tax bill and I've got no where near the funds needed to settle it.

let me know if you want any advice on that, Jon. HMRC are not always right, in fact these days they are quite often wrong.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I still get a buzz from SOME of the challenges in my work but there is no doubt physically and mentally my body cannot work at the same pace anymore.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

duke63 wrote:
D6Nutz wrote:I still really enjoy what I do, and there is still plenty of enjoyment and challenges agreed of me.

let me know if you want any advice on that, Jon. HMRC are not always right, in fact these days they are quite often wrong.
Cheers mate, unfortunately it's come from my accountants so it is right. It is however the net result of HMRC **** up my tax code and not taking enough tax from my PAYE earnings.

duke63

Post by duke63 »

You can probably persuade HMRC to allow that to be repaid over time if its them who screwed up.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

I only go to work for a break/rest. Just done 3 x 12 hour days and feeling very well rested.
Monty™© MCMLXXII