Work

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Re: Work

Post by kiwikrasher »

Cav wrote:Despite notifying most recruitment companies I'm no longer looking for work they're still sending me stuff.... one of them was extremely temptational! It's a job role I was looking at when I was looking for my current job and it comes with double the pay. Downside with my upcoming situation is some working away.

I said no thanks.
I think you made the right choice for the moment mate. Mine were 4 and 6 when I started offshore, and that was hard enough being away from them. Those first few years you want to soak up every moment imo.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I agree with you which is why I said now although this role isn't offshore. It's home, office and client based. The biggest downside is that I would be expected to travel all of the UK and not a region.

I'm happy with my choice. Close to home, more time at home and pay is enough.

We've discussed it and I've said that I'm not doing any time from home before they're 2 (subject to change)
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Cav wrote:
We've discussed it and I've said that I'm not doing any time from home before they're 2 (subject to change)
Planning the next one already??? :D
Cav

Post by Cav »

That isn't what I meant by that but yes we are. Unless this child is the devil child we would like 3 children. Mrs Cav has 2 siblings very close in age to her and she loved it. They were best friends until they were teenagers.

FYI, we say they because we don't like saying it. We don't know their gender yet so they're a they until they aren't.... :^
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

Today I have been told that I am not a cleaner, yesterday I used some antibacterial wipes to clean up after a charming young man who claimed to be exempt from wearing a mask, then spat on the seat next to him and the floor.

At the moment, if a complaint comes in it really doesn't matter what the driver did or didn't do, they're in the wrong and seen officially for a discipline.... I could get an official warning for sorting it myself and keeping the service running.

So, I have booked my HGV medical, next step is the provisional application and theory test. Hopefully all that will be sorted by my time off and I can get the practical training and test done.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Get the eff out of there mate. It sounds toxic.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

What Cav said. At least you've got an escape plan.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Stonesie wrote:Today I have been told that I am not a cleaner, yesterday I used some antibacterial wipes to clean up after a charming young man who claimed to be exempt from wearing a mask, then spat on the seat next to him and the floor.

At the moment, if a complaint comes in it really doesn't matter what the driver did or didn't do, they're in the wrong and seen officially for a discipline.... I could get an official warning for sorting it myself and keeping the service running.

So, I have booked my HGV medical, next step is the provisional application and theory test. Hopefully all that will be sorted by my time off and I can get the practical training and test done.
All you can do - be positive and move yourself onwards and upwards (y)
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

I got home to a nice letter from the training company containing a few application forms for the Tachograph digi card and Provisional HGV licence so those will be filled in and sent back ASAP.

In the last couple of months at least 30 drivers have gone from a workforce of around 330, some let go from long term sick but more than half were active drivers who have just had enough. Management are only just starting to ask why. Maybe they could do something radical like give us some backup when we need it? Just a thought...

My escape plan has been forming for a while as a plan B but since sorting my finances out it has become a lot more feasible, it's not a cheap thing to do but it will be worth it, just being able to pick my own holiday days will be incredible 8)
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

So not only are management being ass wipes but someone from the public took the trouble to ring and complain about you cleaning up???

You must have the soul of a saint to deal with that slice of society, I reckon I’d lose my rag within a day! I’ve even jumped on my daughters school bus and told them all to quieten down (lol)

Good luck with the HGV training, I’m sure you’ll smash it.
Cav

Post by Cav »

The buses have CCTV so it could be from that?
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

It was an informal chat about it because a passenger came to the office and commended me for cleaning it up... The official, by the book way of dealing with any 'bodily fluids' is to kick all the passengers off and take the bus to the depot for cleaning and disinfecting.

It was a small amount of spit not a pool of vomit or pee, I have Dettol wipes in my bag so I dealt with it in moments. We are told to go the extra mile for the passengers and I didn't want to kick them off in the rain.
Last edited by Stonesie on 21 May 2021, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
Cav

Post by Cav »

What don't you understand about "you aren't paid to think"? I absolutely hate that statement and clearly that's what they're saying about your actions. You're definitely doing the right thing by leaving.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

Cav wrote:What don't you understand about "you aren't paid to think"? I absolutely hate that statement and clearly that's what they're saying about your actions. You're definitely doing the right thing by leaving.
Yeah that phrase is one of my pet peeves, I'm really starting to look forward to leaving and today I passed the medical with no issues so that's all in the post for my Class C Provisional.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Cav wrote:What don't you understand about "you aren't paid to think"? I absolutely hate that statement and clearly that's what they're saying about your actions. You're definitely doing the right thing by leaving.
It says more about them and their herd mentality than it will ever say about anyone else.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The other assistant to my former boss has handed her notice in. She's had enough. I know the guy she's going to work for and she'll do really well working with him.

There's a total of 5 assistants leaving our department in the next 4 months. Out of 14. You would think there's a problem in the workplace.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

Today we voted on a deal on our terms and conditions, short version is it's a pay cut with longer driving stints and shorter break's... With some underhanded special offers to certain drivers which they tried to keep quiet.

Management have been threatening that if it gets rejected we could be on 90 days notice and then they can impose any deal they like on a "accept this or quit" basis...

DVLA need to get their finger out and get my HGV provisional back out to me.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

sounds similar to the stunt British Gas pulled.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Stonesie wrote:Today we voted on a deal on our terms and conditions, short version is it's a pay cut with longer driving stints and shorter break's... With some underhanded special offers to certain drivers which they tried to keep quiet.

Management have been threatening that if it gets rejected we could be on 90 days notice and then they can impose any deal they like on a "accept this or quit" basis...

Hope you get your HGV licence soon.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

Stonesie wrote:Today we voted on a deal on our terms and conditions, short version is it's a pay cut with longer driving stints and shorter break's... With some underhanded special offers to certain drivers which they tried to keep quiet.

Today we had a 2nd vote on this because of the first vote getting cancelled at the other depot, it got rejected by a large margin.

So, now we wait to see what the management come up with while also waiting on the dvla who are having a bad time themselves.

My best plan at the moment is to be an Overtime bitch to plump up my savings and get some money paid off the credit card.