What are you doing today ??

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Re: What are you doing today ??

Post by Cav »

Tough day trying to keep a bored dog and a baby, who will not sleep, entertained.

4 coffees in already.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Cav wrote:Tough day trying to keep a bored dog and a baby, who will not sleep, entertained.

4 coffees in already.
Just saying...

Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Half way through my 7 weeks away.. was doing ok till I focused on the fact what I have just done I have to do all over again before I get home..

Good news is numbers in NSW are steadily dropping, vax rates are climbing and restrictions are being progressively lifted.

From Nov 1, fully vaccinated travellers (currently only Aussie residents) coming into Australia direct to NSW do not have to do any form of quarantine or isolation at all if they have a negative test 48 hrs prior to departure. NSW is the test case. I just have to get Northern Territory to allow me to transit through their airport and it will mean I don't have to do anymore govt. quarantine on the way home! (rock)

Won't affect me this trip as I still have a second dose of AZ to get my first day back home, and NT are slow to change policy, but hopefully next trip!
Cav

Post by Cav »

Trying to stay positive. I've been getting molested by lots of small negatives lately so I'm just trying to look at the other side of the coin.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Update on the "trying to be positive" comment I made:

I made it to 10:30 before I swore at some other peoples actions. There's a rig you need to book to use. I booked it for yesterday and today. When I left yesterday someone came and took our stuff off the rig. It takes 30-60 minutes to setup. Not only that but they left their stuff on the rig for me to remove :@ Oh, and they let the system drain out so I had to bleed/prime the system, an extra 20 unnecessary minutes.

Related to the above, the calibration we were trying to do failed and the necessary experts aren't available to assist. So, after all of the above, we had to strip the rig down to try again another day. Yeah, I've actually achieved nothing.

I started to get questioned about a quality issue (which I started working on 1 year ago) again today. About 6 months ago I hit a road block - the machinist says he can't make it until his manager tells him to, the manager says he told the machinist to make it. I spoke to both of them numerous times a week for several weeks and they never got made. I'm not busting a bollock over it if no one else does what they are supposed to do. Unfortunately it's the same story with a lot of things here and it's infuriating. I genuinely have to do everything myself and not use the tools available to me.

So.. Positive Tuesday lasted an hour and I'm clock watching waiting to go home.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

You have to crack the whip on that machinist....and the manager too for that matter.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Go postal
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Not your job to manage that sector of your company, but it is manifestly becoming a problem for you.
Imho both failings can be clearly be apportioned to a management structure that is not performing correctly.
(Obviously dependant on the political/hierarchical structure of the company you are working for) , wouldn't the appropriate step be to explain in writing both those issues to the person(s) responsible for running those sectors.?
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

StMarks wrote:Not your job to manage that sector of your company, but it is manifestly becoming a problem for you.
Imho both failings can be clearly be apportioned to a management structure that is not performing correctly.
(Obviously dependant on the political/hierarchical structure of the company you are working for) , wouldn't the appropriate step be to explain in writing both those issues to the person(s) responsible for running those sectors.?
While I agree with a similar approach, writing (emails etc) tend to be easier to ignore. Call a meeting with the machinist, his manager and the person questioning the quality issue, no one has anywhere to hide.

While it's been a different issue, times I've been caught in the middle like this I've done exactly that (it's real fun to invite them individually to "catch up' over the issue without telling each of them anyone else is coming...) usually gets stuff sorted and they tend not to piss you around again.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

kiwikrasher wrote:
StMarks wrote:Not your job to manage that sector of your company, but it is manifestly becoming a problem for you.
While I agree with a similar approach, writing (emails etc) tend to be easier to ignore. Call a meeting with the machinist, his manager and the person questioning the quality issue, no one has anywhere to hide.

While it's been a different issue, times I've been caught in the middle like this I've done exactly that (it's real fun to invite them individually to "catch up' over the issue without telling each of them anyone else is coming...) usually gets stuff sorted and they tend not to piss you around again.

^^^^^^^^^^
What he said - get them all in a room and minute the meeting. Then send them the minutes to agree.

At the end of the meeting set a date to review.

Most of all (difficult i know). Be professional. Arseholes need to be managed sadly - directly or indirectly.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

C00kiemonster wrote:

get them all in a room and minute the meeting. Then send them the minutes to agree.

Most of all (difficult i know). Be professional. Arseholes need to be managed sadly - directly or indirectly.
I like that, that's levelling up (lol)

As Operations I'm normally dealing with something that will be actioned straight away and just looking for a way forward on a certain work front or service campaign, but I'll file this for future use!
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

kiwikrasher wrote:
C00kiemonster wrote:

get them all in a room and minute the meeting. Then send them the minutes to agree.

I like that, that's levelling up (lol)

As Operations I'm normally dealing with something that will be actioned straight away and just looking for a way forward on a certain work front or service campaign, but I'll file this for future use!
I spent years managing good people and arseholes in equal measure (tmi)
Cav

Post by Cav »

Thank you guys, I'm back in tomorrow so will figure something out. The managerial hierarchy at my place is strange to say the least. I genuinely don't know who half of the managers are and they never seem to manage more than 6 people. My manager only has one manager above him before the CEO and I'm 2nd rung at best. The amount of beating up on managers is a lot more transparent here too.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I'm at my god son's wedding
Cav

Post by Cav »

I mowed, rotivated, raked, levelled and sowed new seed on my front lawn. The ants had destroyed our lawn with dips and mounds absolutely everywhere. Hopefully this will deter them alongside the forecast rain.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Cav wrote:I mowed, rotivated, raked, levelled and sowed new seed on my front lawn. The ants had destroyed our lawn with dips and mounds absolutely everywhere. Hopefully this will deter them alongside the forecast rain.
half cup of sugar, 1.5 tablespoons of borax, and 1.5 cups of warm water. Leave it out, let them at it.

This advice comes from nearly a 7 yrs of trying to eradicate ants at my place. I did this and haven't had an ant for 3 years.

Make sure your doggie doesn't get at it though
Cav

Post by Cav »

Cheers for the tip.

For anyone who has me on Socials you may have seen already.. Baby Cav slept through the night for the first time! 10hrs to the minute. Today I took care of him so my Wife could catch up on sleep and stuff around the house. I managed to get him to nap on his "ideal" schedule all day today and he's been a super happy boy despite his teething.

I am more than aware that most of you are disinterested in this but I'm proud of my 18 week old Son (h)
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Well today I had a full day on track at Ashdown Moto X track and I am bloody knackered..... Hard work for sure. I have not been on a full on crosser on track for over 20 years. Absolutely loved it.
I picked up a nice little YZ125, more than enough, light enough to throw around and still plenty of beans. Love the ring ding ding of a two stroke.
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

Today I have mostly been trying to shake off a migraine, not that unusual for me but this one was unusually light sensitive so I got a whole lot of not much done.

Tomorrow should be more productive, the cheap cage needs some tlc.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Cav wrote:Cheers for the tip.

For anyone who has me on Socials you may have seen already.. Baby Cav slept through the night for the first time! 10hrs to the minute. Today I took care of him so my Wife could catch up on sleep and stuff around the house. I managed to get him to nap on his "ideal" schedule all day today and he's been a super happy boy despite his teething.

I am more than aware that most of you are disinterested in this but I'm proud of my 18 week old Son (h)
Most of us have been there mate, so we know what it means to you (happy)

They are experts in lulling you into a false sense of security though........... hopefully not in this case