Red Rattler Racing blog

The news and your views about biking
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Red Rattler Racing blog

Post by kiwikrasher »

A good mate from offshore (and another kiwi) who has a love hate relationship with his Ducati’s has a blog. He’s only been brave enough to share it with a few close friends recently. Although I knew most of his stories it was still a fantastic read, and bloody well written. You wouldn’t believe the bad luck he’s had along the way.

I’ve posted bits and bobs of his bikes before and think it was Kingfixer I put him in touch with and he bought some bits off him.

Anyway, I asked if he was ok with me sharing it here and he was so if you want a good read that will make you laugh and probably cry at some points have a look.

https://redrattlerracing.mystrikingly.com/

There is more to come, I know from first hand chats that the saga is still well ahead of what has been written so far.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Re: Red Rattler Racing blog

Post by C00kiemonster »

Just had a flick through, looks really good. He writes well.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

So he's just been in quarantine again and added a bunch more chapters. I'm saving the read for when I go into homeward bound quarantine in 4 days.

I don't know if he's got up to it yet in the blog, but last time home he made a realisation.. he had that many spare parts and a spare frame lying about he's managed to magically created a third ducati :D

Apparently his wife came into the workshop and said "where the hell did that come from?!?"

His replied was gold... "It's always been here, I just didn't realise it" (lol) (lol)

The frame is a 749 and his superbike engine is going into it, so the parts special might end up being the best bike he's got!
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

So I asked some details on the parts bin special and got a good rundown via email with pics for those interested (be over two posts as 5 attachments is the max apparently!)
Bruce wrote:
Hey bro'.

At the risk of boring you to tears with waaaaaaay too much information, some pic's/info re the ol' the scooter:
1.jpg
It's a 999RS engine (the engine privateers used in WSB, looks similar externally but shares virtually no parts with a production engine) with 1098 throttle bodies + RS-copy velocity stacks
2.jpg
Spare 749R frame modified to RS-style with extra removable frame spars
3.jpg
That rear sub-frame is the one you and your online mate very kindly organised for me (much appreciated!), cracked tabs repaired.

Forks are Kawasaki ZX10R Showa BFF, they have the same axle diameter and 100mm caliper spacing as 749R/1098 ( I have a spare set, one just needs a repair), I just had to shorten the axle and machine bushes to suit 749R triples and a light forged ally 1098 wheel:
4.jpg
Swingarm was s'posed to be for the 749R, made by Febur it is a tad longer and 1.4kg lighter than OEM boxed 749R swingarm. Cheap 'cos missing some pivot spacers but a lump of Ti and lots of swearing and cursing later (it's a fukn prick to machine, 'specially for an amateur) she was good to go.

The rear wheel is a light "Galespeed" forged ally rim for a Suzuki B-King, of all things. Picked up for cheap from Melbourne as not many B-King's around. I took a punt as axle size is similar to 749R, just swapped out bearings and machined some new captive spacers and tickety boo. Brake rotor was a pain in the klacker though, had to machine a whole new carrier.

Spacers machined and installed:
5.jpg
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Continued....
Bruce wrote: Turns out the sprocket carrier dimensions are exactly the same as a Marvic unit (only the Galespeed is much prettier, lol), and I have Marvic wheels on the 749R so I already have various sprockets to suit.

Machining brake rotor carrier:
6.jpg
Finally fukn done!
7.jpg
Only scratching the surface but I can feel you yawning....best I stop yapping!
He's got some talent and drive for this stuff as you would have picked up if you've read any of his blogs.

He just bought a dyno from a mechanic that went bust, so is in the process of setting up that at home too!