Stonesie New Bike

Love your bike or working on a project, post up a thread here and share with the forum
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Stonesie New Bike

Post by duke63 »

Wheelbase is everything.

My Ducati is the same - long sweeping bends its rock solid and a great cornering bike. Take it to a road with sharper bends though and it takes some effort to turn it and soon becomes quite tiring.

The Street Triple is the other way round though.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Stonesie wrote:I a couple of times on a hot start it acted like it had a flat battery but if I left it for a few seconds it started normally
The RSV used to do this, it was a known "behaviour" of the bike. I read on the forums that this is the time when your sprag clutch is most at risk, stopping and waiting is the right thing to do.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

Yesterday the bike seemed popular with this pair of cocks :D

kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I think they are looking for the cake
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

I think they were inspecting my Chicken Strips :D

Today I got TuneECU working on the mobile app but it is limited in what it can do, no map reading or changes but it did give me the map number which I fed into google, it spat out "Standard map for factory exhaust with SAI and Catalyst" which explains the mini-gun sound effects off throttle.

Soooo I (headbang) with trying to get TuneECU running on the laptop, I like mechanicals, my brother is the one with a Computer Science degree (facepalm)

I got it figured out so now have both methods of connecting to the bike, I can even calibrate the speedo (I have a -1 front sprocket, as fitted to the speed triple) and install the map for aftermarket exhaust and no Cat (rock) , but that also has no SAI so might banish the exhaust crackle (gah)

Other than that I have bought a new fuel line and front sprocket lock washer, I will probably bore some with the posts when I do the service, I did contemplate letting Doncaster Motorcycles handle it but then saw the price of the Gold service, I will be under no time pressure so will do a more thorough job.
Last edited by Stonesie on 11 Apr 2021, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I used to be quite pally with the owner but he became a bit of a knob when his business took off.

The gold service is a good price when you look at how much work they have to do.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

True, it is a big job but nothing I can't handle and there's some extras to be done while im in there, I might still call them if I need any shims for the valves.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

Walked into the garage and had a surprise, the red light of doom on the optimate. It's been on charge for a day and failed it's health check and the multimeter confirmed it with a reading of 12.1v... so the new looking Yuasa is toast.

An Enduroline is on order from Tayna batteries, more CCA than the Yuasa and a 2 year warranty.

Also checked my bottle of motul coolant, it's premixed, it's 10 years old and only 1 litre, I need 3... I was only putting some shopping away and it cost me £60 on bike stuff (5l bottle of coolant + a battery) not bad I suppose, a cheap bike will need some love to keep it sweet. 8)
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

Things I got done Yesterday.
Oil + filter change with Castrol Power 1 Racing (Synthetic)
Plugs
Air filter
Valve clearances (all in spec, some right on the upper limit)
Reg/Rec upgrade
Unblocked the tank drain from around the filler neck
Fitted the "Pudding Cables" beefy 50mm² buggers
Fitted new Enduroline battery with it's 190CCA
Updated the ECU map to the one for an aftermarket exhaust... Above 6K it really wakes up now (raaar)

Today
320 mile ride, the gearchange is more fussy now but not one false neutral. If I get it right it slots straight in, other times it's notchy, the pervious owner said it was notchy with Motul oil, I'm thinking it just prefers more basic semi-synthetic oil so I will give it a few rides and if it still notchy I will do another oil+filter change to some semi.

Still to do
Coolant flush and replacement
Chain and sprockets
Replace cracked and split SAI manifold
Replace radiator cap
Replace starter solenoid
Replace relay rubbers
Fit USB charger/volt meter

I have a choice of standard gearing or a -1 front sprocket (Speed Triple gearing) so may fit the -1 for a touch more overtaking punch.

Pics
Black wire corrosion on the earths
Cable comparison
After messing about clearing the spigot out I removed it, still blocked, easily unblocked with a drill bit.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Impressive work.

That filter doesn't look too fresh
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

You so need to get a project bike on the go

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

I think this is my project bike (lol)
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

Stonesie wrote: Still to do
Coolant flush and replacement (y)
Chain and sprockets (y)
Replace cracked and split SAI manifold (y)
Replace radiator cap :x
Replace starter solenoid (y)
Replace relay rubbers (y)
Fit USB charger/volt meter (y)

I have a choice of standard gearing or a -1 front sprocket (Speed Triple gearing) so may fit the -1 for a touch more overtaking punch.
Today I worked through the to-do list except the radiator cap which will be in next week, but today she put up a fight starting with putting it on the centre stand. I use a 1x6" plank to give it a boost as the angle of the drive means the back wheel stays on the ground otherwise, and it moved, and the bike fell (facepalm) (swear)
She's a heavy cow, and the right fairing is done, Replacements already ordered and I'm told they come as a kit, both sides already painted and stickered with the chrome trims and insulation foam already installed for £380... Could be worse, those fairings were needing paint anyway.

On to the next issue, hose replacement and relay rubbers went well, as did the USB charger, chain next.
The front sprocket nut told my electric impact to do one, and the breaker bar, and the air powered Mac twin hammer, that is rated at 700Lb:Ft (shocked) So the mechanics friend joined the fray, the propane blow torch with brazing nozzle... Once the nut was heated to don't-you-dare-touch-that but nowhere near well-that's-the-oil-seal-up-in-smoke the Air powered impact had it's revenge.

After cleaning a good 1/4" of old chain gloop from the sprocket cover and chain guard I selected the -1 sprocket and replaced the rear, draped the new gold chain on and had to get the angle grinder back out as the chain was way too long.

All back together now and looking decidedly 2nd hand, I have ordered some basic crash bobbins to accompany the new fairings.

Might take it for a rip tomorrow and see how far off the speedo is, I have TuneECU so can adjust that.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That front sprocket looks like it's the same age as the bike.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

That sprocket :D
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I love that temperature range description. :D

Just going off your mention of notch’s gear change and looking at that pic, it looks like the gear selector rod ball joint is cocked off from centre and possibly rather worn. All might be just angle of the pic but maybe something to look at before you go dumping good oil for a different grade?
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

kiwikrasher wrote:I love that temperature range description. :D

Just going off your mention of notch’s gear change and looking at that pic, it looks like the gear selector rod ball joint is cocked off from centre and possibly rather worn. All might be just angle of the pic but maybe something to look at before you go dumping good oil for a different grade?
Good spot Kiwi, & fwiw +1
However I'm not going to be so dismissive of that sprocket.: It does look rusty, however the teeth channels don't actually look too bad and the teeth themselves arn't hooked or even particularly pointed (from what I can see) . What I do note is a general lack of thrown lube inside the sprocket cover area, and a tell-tale grimy rust coloured deposit . Fwiw I would surmise from that that the drivetrain has been used un-lubed over a period of wet use, and that the lube we currently see on the chain is just a recent addition.?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

He was told that it had had new sprockets and a chain, which looks about right going on the condition of the chain. But I still maintain that it looks like it's several years old.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

Yes he said that they were fitted just before it fell out of use, in 3 years it covered 200 miles literally just riding it for its MOT.
He did throw in a new chain and sprocket kit which I fitted yesterday. JT sprockets and a DID gold/black chain.

Also the ball joint is pretty tight for free play, I packed it with grease but the shift lever is very floppy on its pivot. Cleaning the crud out of that and greasing it only made it worse so while I was on the phone yesterday I added that to the order.

Still, I wouldn't have been as happy riding a shinier example, that Nitron shock is awesome... Might get a softer spring if I loose much more weight though.

It's a true project if the spending never ends, right?
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Stonesie wrote:Yes he said that they were fitted just before it fell out of use, in 3 years it covered 200 miles literally just riding it for its MOT.
He did throw in a new chain and sprocket kit which I fitted yesterday. JT sprockets and a DID gold/black chain.

Also the ball joint is pretty tight for free play, I packed it with grease but the shift lever is very floppy on its pivot. Cleaning the crud out of that and greasing it only made it worse so while I was on the phone yesterday I added that to the order.

Still, I wouldn't have been as happy riding a shinier example, that Nitron shock is awesome... Might get a softer spring if I loose much more weight though.

It's a true project if the spending never ends, right?
It's no replacement for the correct spring but so long as you get the correct sag, wind back the compression damping to enable a more plush ride