Stonesie New Bike

Love your bike or working on a project, post up a thread here and share with the forum
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Re: Stonesie New Bike

Post by kiwikrasher »

That blue is the best colour they come in I reckon, looks like a great buy
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

Well, I went to see the Trumpet and couldn't say no, it seemed to be priced vary fairly for what it is and what comes with it, a mountain of paperwork and full service history, new DID Gold/Black chain and JT sprockets and the panniers.

The bike passed MOT on Friday with just a note on the front brakes pulsing a bit but he gave me contact details of a company over in Sheffield who refurbish discs for less than buying new, I might go that way.
The exhaust has the baffle in but is not subtle, I like the tone though (raaar)

I pick it up on Wednesday

C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

They are great bikes, happy days..
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Good find. It does not look dated in the slightest.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

I need to keep off eBay, but a standard exhaust with link pipe for £60 seemed a good buy if I plan to tour in Europe on this bike, the BSAU tag on the Delkevic will be worth the sum total of feck all if a police officer takes issue with a UK registered bike causing a ruckus in his village (blush)

Gear indicators keep winking at me and I just won an auction for a pair of Gold Rizoma Aveo 21's for £25! I'm not overly convinced by the gold, but it will fit with the wheels 8)

I found a Sprint tail light in the garage, another remnant from my Daytona 650, I did plan to gut it and fit the LED array in the 650's tail light... I might admit to being a hoarder one day (blush) But it is ripe for having it's wiring modded if I choose to use those Rizoma 3 way indicators I had on the SX.

EDIT
Not worth it's own post but I got a £4 rebait from BeMoto... I will try not to spend it all in one place, it must be the Delkevic (giggle) as the bike will be a bastard to nick with a big ass Almax chain, tracker, Datatag and a Datatool S4 alarm, one of those annoying self arming while you're filing it up alarms.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

Got it home, it's very comfortable and the heated grips work, also very much covered in salt so my next job it to make her look pretty again and apply a coat of acf-50.

The exhaust sounds glorious (raaar) (raaar) (raaar)

Just need to figure out how to reset the clock.... And the top speed display (bandit)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I do like a triple burble.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

My neighbour is a photographer and asked to take a few pictures, after he cleaned them up in his editing software he sent them over, so here's a couple of those and a before I washed it pic.
He said it sounded like a Spitfire coming up the street 8)

I need to get it that shiny in real life, it will get the Gtechniq C2 after I have had a go at polishing some of the marks off it, I didn't expect mint :D
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

Fitted LED indicators, sounds easy enough but this is a 15 year old machine...

Gacked screw heads on the left mirror meant the whole thing had to come off and the datatool alarm made my ears ring a few times, and the front nut dropped in to the fairing :D

Then the right fairing had 3 broken tabs, and revealed some WTF!!! wiring, the last owner was an engineer not an electrician (I'm a former car mechanic and very picky about wiring being right, I hate electrical faults)

And the tail's lower bolt on the cover piece pulled it's brass insert out of the plastic, lucky I had a spare number plate hanger assembly which I bought for the bracket, just in case I had to re-fit a standard exhaust.. Rizoma Aveo 21 indicators in gold were a bargain I couldn't resist and fit with the gold powder coated wheels.

For Cheap Chinese LED's these are not bad (Auxito brand from eBay)
Excuse the mess...
[video]https://i.imgur.com/ATUGk7G.mp4[/video]
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

I'm getting deja vu, this is the third bike that I have fitted front discs to in a row.
At least there is a lower chance of me ending up as a pair of boots sticking out of a hedge (rolf)

The bike got an advisory for its front brakes and on grabbing the disc's, man there's some play in those bobbins, and on the wear limit according to my micrometer... £270 and change at deamon tweeks later...

IMG_20210204_192024__01.jpg
By the time the weather comes nice this old girl will ride like new
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

You should offer your services as a side line
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

I used to, I got messed about too much so just tinker with my own stuff now. As a hobby it's nice and relaxing 8)
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

Yesterday I changed the front discs and pads, cleaning the callipers out was a nightmare as the bike has done 300 miles in the last 3 years, it's the first time I have had to resort to dremel wire brushes to clean the pistons up... The previous owner said not to worry about the brakes as they had been rebuilt... Riiiight!

The pads were nearly new but rusty as hell.

All fresh and seals lubed with silicone spray, pads greased with ceratec and new stainless bolts for the discs, EBC discs and EBC HH pads should be a good combo.

Then fitted a used top box rack, which arrived bent so was 'lots-of-fun' or a pain in the arse, but I strangely enjoyed having some issues to overcome.

Now waiting for the lockdown to end so I can see what this bike can do... Or might need a couple of bits from the supermarket (bandit)

The car got similar too so a busy day off, EBC again.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

Today I gave it a quick wipe down with quick detailer to get the salt dust off, figured out where I want the USB power supply as it has a volt meter on it, these sprint's have some electrical issues typical of mid 2000's bikes.

Also over thought the slow cold cranking, apparently it's common and dangerous for the sprag clutch on the starter, and a repair kit is over £500... My To-Do list is growing. But I did find details for a guy who used to make upgraded starter wiring for these bikes so I fired off a message asking if he still did them. If not then I can do it myself for about £70 including buying all the tools to crimp 4awg (25mm2) wire.

I also want to change the reg/rec, I have a SH775 but they are no good for high revving bikes, some say they loose regulation over 7K rpm, others say 10K... I will give it a go as this bike redlines at 10K.

The list for my week off next month (So Far)

Full service, valve clearance check, plugs and coolant.
Fit USB power supply and re-route charging cable to rear (who fits it to the fuse box? really?)
Upgrade reg/rec to series style SH775, these run the stator much cooler than even a mosfet.
Upgrade starter wiring to look after the sprag clutch and improve cold start.
Fit standard exhaust with catless link pipe, I want to try it as it's not a subtle can that's on it, 225mm Delkevic big bore.
Clean and inspect the rear brake and drive hub bearings.
New Chain and sprockets, I have a choice of standard or -1 front sprockets.

I REALLY like this bike so far, so I want to give it some good stuff and hopefully make it reliable. Should be a good days work.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Someone is going to be busy
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

Just got a reply about the starter cable kit, £23 delivered or it would cost me £70 to get tooled up to make my own... I've already paid the guy.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That's not a tough debate to have with yourself
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

The cables arrived on Tuesday and yesterday a reg/rec adaptor cable showed up..
Just waiting on a rocker cover gasket set and I can get the thing apart for it's service and upgrades.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

I did about 240 miles today through the local(ish) countryside and learned a few things about the bike, a couple of times on a hot start it acted like it had a flat battery but if I left it for a few seconds it started normally :^ My friend said it could be the starter solenoid not making a good connection every time, sounds plausible to me but that's for later.

It sounds good, goes well enough for the road and handles well, still getting used to how this bike likes to be ridden but so far it seems to like high speed corners over nadgery twistys, but it is agile enough to do well there too. The rear has been jacked up a bit, on the centre stand the back wheel is still on the ground unless I put a plank under the stand.

I think it's praise that once I started to get in to the groove and relax I wasn't thinking about the bike at all, just riding along with the bike naturally doing what I wanted... For now there is plenty that I want to do to the bike, but the only thing that i NEED to do is replace the chain and sprockets, I got a DID/JT kit with the bike and just need to find my chain tool. The angle grinder will get this one off easily.

My week off is going to be full of bike tinkering. 8)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I used to say the same about my 955 when it came to the roads it preferred. It really seemed happiest on fast winding A roads rather than back lanes. It was my first big bike so I just thought that was what litre bikes were like