Stonesie New Bike

Love your bike or working on a project, post up a thread here and share with the forum
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Re: Stonesie New Bike

Post by Stonesie »

Today the bike came apart again, new fairings and crash bungs should have been a quick job but I got carried away 8)

It took a while as Autoglym SRP is quite gentle as polishes go, not much abrasive in there but the bike looks way, way better and I can see the metallic in the blue now.

I will get a much better after shot tomorrow as I have given it a good coat of Gtechniq C2 (rock)

I am really enjoying owning this bike, must be some sort of perversion to enjoy the fettling as much as the riding (bandit)
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

That's looking proper smart mate.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

I keep looking at mods to do, this bike seems to be "My Bike" even though compared to steeds like the KTM SuperDuke GT and Ducati Multistrada it's as advanced as a potato. Like my friend Garry, he won't ever be without his gen 1 Hyabusa, even though he has 3 other bikes he can buy and sell those without a thought but that 'Busa is going nowhere unless he's riding it.

I might upgrade the headlights, after a night ride the dipped beams are good but the high is pitiful, a pair of Morimoto mini H1 Bi-Projectors would mean the bike had 3 high beam's rather than 1 and can use halogen bulbs so it's nice and legal, or drop some LED replacements in for way more light 8)

I do keep going for 7th, so a gear position indicator is a smart addition, but for now I am just learning to enjoy it as it is.

I also replaced the gear lever, the bushing had worn egg shaped and it had a lot of slop, the gear shift is way better now (y) .

duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Looking very good @Stonesie
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I think if you invest a lot of time in looking after and doing up a bike then you get a bond with it.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Stonesie wrote:I
I might upgrade the headlights, after a night ride the dipped beams are good but the high is pitiful, a pair of Morimoto mini H1 Bi-Projectors would mean the bike had 3 high beam's rather than 1 and can use halogen bulbs so it's nice and legal, or drop some LED replacements in for way more light 8)
Go careful upgrading to led. I've upgraded the BMW but spent ages searching for a set that had a good beam pattern and then make sure you have some time to set them up.

If you want more light again add a pair of spot lights, they make a world of difference.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

The golden rule is to get led replacement bulbs with the smallest led chips in the same place as the halogen bulb.

With my car's projector dipped beam I went fancy, Morrimoto 2-stroke 3.0s and they work great with a perfect pattern and a nifty cooling system which heats the headlight lens, worked okay over winter.
For the high beam I went cheap, Auxito from China via eBay... The brightness is almost the same and the light colour is identical. Night driving on country lanes is great now I can see way down the road.

The Sprint has 3 projectors so the beam should be good if I just fit led bulbs to those for now without changing the outer pair, but I'm in no rush.
Last edited by Stonesie on 02 May 2021, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I just love the colour of the bike.

Proper azure blue.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

I tried to fit a better horn, a ring snail "performance" one. I got it located where I thought the front mud guard wouldn't smash in to it and tried it out. It sounded like a distant fog horn.

Refitted the squeaker and it sounds better than ever (swear) and tried the new one off the bike (raaar) (shocked)

It might find its way onto the cage, if I want snail horns I need to mount them somewhere else.
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

After leaving it alone for a while, just riding and cleaning I did get bored and ordered a thing... Part of what should be a great upgrade and solve my main niggle with the bike.

I ordered a Nissin front brake master cylinder from a Daytona 675, it comes with the Triumph alloy reservoir so will replace the faded plastic one as well.
The current one has a lot of dead motion before it builds any pressure but I think that's a sticking caliper piston, they are not in the best condition but neither are they leaking.

That's next on the list, a new set of pistons and seal's... Then maybe some new brake lines...
Stonesie

Post by Stonesie »

My luck (headbang)

The seller has let me know that he is in the middle of a house move, can't find it and offered me a refund, I have given him until next weekend to find it or refund me...

As for the bike, I did some shower dodging today and am getting a winter mod list dreamt up, telling that it is all just maintenance... I might get the suspension re-sprung to my weight, the previous owner was 5 stone heavier than me and had it sprung for him. It gets a little bouncy over bumps at high speed with non-adjustable forks it's not really a DIY job to adjust the damping.