Coronavirus - hype or pandemlc?

Topics covering world politics and political events. To hide this section go to your control panel and join the group "Hide Politics"
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Re: Coronavirus - hype or pandemlc?

Post by Cav »

duke63 wrote:Covid 19 is here to stay...probably forever. Its like so many other viruses that suddenly appear. Its important that as many people as possible are vaccinated to reduce the risk of spread. Approx 20,000 Brits die of flu every year. We have decided that is an acceptable level.

What we can do though is work round it, vaccinate against it and try and stop the health services around the world getting inundated with it.

That costs money and everyone has to understand we will all have to pay something towards that.
I didn't realise the Flu killed anyone until Covid happened and I looked into the data
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Cav wrote:Prevention is better than cure.

I would dare to say the vaccine isn't either and therefore can't be the only solution moving forward.

There needs to be a better solution in our every day lives and reducing density population would go a long way to solving that. In the schools this could mean stopping crowding more and more children into classrooms by opening larger or more schools therefore providing more classrooms for the number of children. This would also help improve the grades of white middle class boys (the lowest scoring social/ethical group) as an additional bonus.

Reducing population??

Aren't you about to have a kid....??
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

two people having one child.

I think long term that's how you reduce the population ;)
D41

Post by D41 »

:D I don't think that's quite how it usually works out.
Two people having their FIRST kid, maybe.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Yes.. and they're going to be in classes of 128 people within a year group of 640 students seeing as our Midwives are seeing more than 4x the number of pregnancies at the minute.

D41, like I've said previously, I've had a hard time over the decision to have a child. The biggest difficulty is my belief that the human race is the biggest stain on this planet. The flip side of that? I didn't have a great start to life but I've pulled through and I believe that my children could be great for our planet. I sincerely hope that I can steer and support them in a great direction for their life.
D41

Post by D41 »

4 × the number of pregnancies....???

There's something not right there. It's not unusual to see spikes in the birth rate after natural disasters, or during long lockdown-type periods.....The Gulf Coast during hurricane season, etc.
But FOUR TIMES as many births??.... That doesn't seem reasonable.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Yes mate, 4 times the number of pregnancies. Midwives and Sonographers are working overtime. At the same time, they're seeing a huge increase in the number of home births - unsure if those two figures are linked in anyway.

A number of my friends have recently had babies, are pregnant with their first, or are expecting their 2nd child.

Personally, I'm most worried about the social care sector as we are going to see a lot more children born into poverty or neglect, and also a 4-fold increase in children with Downs Syndrome and other learning or behavioural difficulties. My child's generation will be categorised as the new Boomers.
D41

Post by D41 »

Do you have a link please??
Everything I'm seeing is suggesting that pregnancy rates are at, or near the lowest they've been since records began. Abortion is up @30%, apparently.
Cav

Post by Cav »

This is word of mouth from midwives and sonographers
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Well I had my Jab on Wednesday morning, hate needles, but did not feel a thing.... Happy days.
Two hours later, feeling a little under the weather with a stonking headache.
Wednesday night, was the night from hell... never felt so shit, chills, sweating so bad.... all kinds of rough. Head was banging. managed a hours sleep in the early hours.
Had a crap Thursday, head still thumping. So opted for an early night.
Friday - Sleep worked, feeling better. Hopefully after the weekend I will be back to normal :)

Looking forward to round two..... NOT!
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Oh the irony.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56479814" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

duke63 wrote:Oh the irony.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56479814" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The lack of vaccinations in Europe is huge political issue now. Leaders will save their own skin over any agreement.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Argument A - Britain ordered vaccines first so should get them first.

Argument B - Europe is in more need of vaccinations right now so should get them first.

Argument C - A contract is a contract.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The EU got their order in a day before the UK.

The issue is with the EU contract.
Cav

Post by Cav »

That isn't how the British media portray it but if what you say is true then it's only the contract issue. I'm unable to find anything on the contract, do you have any understanding of what the contract has in it?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The EU contract is a good faith contact. AZ supply the EU as and when they can within certain parameters. The UK contract is a first served contract putting us ahead of the queue. AZ has to supply the UK first.

AZ has sent 10m doses to the UK from the EU. The EU wants to put a halt to that. The EU wants EU made doses to remain within the EU.

Where it gets complicated is trying to work out where the doses are made and how they're allocated under differing contracts.

Technically the EU is correct in its approach. The UK government is winning the UK public over with the speed of the vaccination programme so they want to keep that up.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-key ... contracts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's a decent overview of what went on.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Regardless of the politics of it, if the World doesn't get its act together and get the majority of the people vaccinated then the virus might eventually hit on a mutation that makes them all of little use.

The world has had a year to get planning for making the vaccines and getting people vaccinated but each and every leader has put their own political ego first.

It beggars belief that the whole of the developed world has not been building and equiping factories over the last 6 months so this current situation does not happen.

Every country has hundreds of thousands of people sitting idle and being paid by the Government to do nothing when they could have been suefully employed elsewhere.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

duke63 wrote:Regardless of the politics of it, if the World doesn't get its act together and get the majority of the people vaccinated then the virus might eventually hit on a mutation that makes them all of little use.

The world has had a year to get planning for making the vaccines and getting people vaccinated but each and every leader has put their own political ego first.

It beggars belief that the whole of the developed world has not been building and equiping factories over the last 6 months so this current situation does not happen.

Every country has hundreds of thousands of people sitting idle and being paid by the Government to do nothing when they could have been suefully employed elsewhere.
The corruption going on in the background in all of this is unbelievable
D41

Post by D41 »

Cav wrote:Argument A - Britain ordered vaccines first so should get them first.

Argument B - Europe is in more need of vaccinations right now so should get them first.

Argument C - A contract is a contract.
B....... just like in an A&E room, I suppose.... based upon "order of urgency" or whatever it's called.