Stonesie's Euro trip photo's

Biking related photos and videos (keep it safe for work)
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Re: Stonesie's Euro trip photo's

Post by Stonesie »

Day 13
Landstuhl - Gent Belgium

No riding pictures but we did venture into Gent and get a couple of snaps then on the the B&B. We were concerned that we were too early and with the location being so quiet, would they be okay with bikes?
We needn't have worried, the owner was out in his workshop setting up the carbs on his old Suzuki bandit and trying to fix the knock sensor on a Pan European. He showed us his Honda Fire Storm and prized "Show Pony" a very customised and immaculate Harley Road King.
Then he gave us a lift to his favourite local restaurant and wouldn't accept any cash for doing it, I got a couple of snaps on the walk back.

Day 14 was the most dangerous ride of the trip, I nearly got taken out by a black Mercedes van... Yeah we were back in the UK

All done!

Bike washed

AMAZING!!!
I need to do more trips like this in the future but need more money, petrol is cheap here compared to most of Europe and good food is not cheap, just sticking to bottled water is not a cheap thing either.

The fridge did overheat once in France so I already have a plan to fix that, fit some fans to force air through and paint the top box lid a more heat reflective colour than Black, thankfully I had the forethought to sandwich the sensitive drug between cool packs so it survived the fridge getting to 19°c briefly, as soon as I got the box open the fridge could shed the heat and started cooling down again.

The SHAD panniers are just not big enough for a trip like this and the aerodynamic/attractive shape means they can be hard to pack... A box shaped box works better when the panniers are all you can use, the tail pack was my dirty work pack containing the chain, chain cleaning and lube kit and my waterproofs.

The bike did well overall, it used oil and water but never skipped a beat but was not comfortable for long days and the cooling fan got a major workout, I have a solution in mind.
Last edited by Stonesie on 10 Jul 2023, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

That’s hell of a trip 👍🏻
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Wow.

Awesome trip and great photos.

Top work on the fridge, I would never have even considered that you could try putting a fridge on a bike.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Finally got to give this thread the time it deserved. Great read mate and sounds like a blast. Great write up and pictures!

Check to see if you can get soft bag inserts for your panniers. I got them for the Ducati panniers and made a huge difference. Just pack the soft bag and it’s shaped to fit straight in.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

I might get the inner bags for the new panniers next year, I have decided to go for more boxy boxes.

I've been reminiscing already, with over 400 pictures to browse through on my hard drive, so I have started to form loose plans for a few days in Scotland in September and the Pico's next summer... I think I caught the travel bug (nod)

Slightly related, I have a loan expiring soon so will have enough spare coins to get that GS I've been mentioning semi-regularly for a while now and still have more money at the end of the month (party)