D-Day - 75 years on

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

D-Day - 75 years on

Post by Kwacky »

Not long now until the anniversary is marked with a series of events.

Most of those who survived are no longer with us and the few who are won't be around for much longer. We need to listen to their stories

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48185757" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: D-Day - 75 years on

Post by Blade »

Watching coverage of the event in Portsmouth to mark the anniversary, live on the BBC.

Very humbling and worth watching later if your working.

Respect and gratitude to all the brave men and women that served and fought so valiantly for our freedoms.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Only a small fraction of those who served are still alive. Ten years from now there won't be any. It will have as much relevance-------EARTHQUAKE!!!-------
Anyway...it will have as much relevance as The First World War does now....maybe. We'll still have the artifacts, and perhaps a better understanding of the mindset involved, which is possibly the most we can ask for.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

I watched it today and can't deny many tears flowed.. I am so proud as my grand parents participated along with so many others ... I am so grateful that we can still celebrate with the few who were so brave and still here to relive those moments

I was a little annoyed though, as there is a small primary school where I live , and during the televised remembrance they were having playtime then lunch.

Am I wrong to think that something so important as this should have been included into the days activities ? I felt it a little sad that during this historic occasion the young people, certainly here were not sat down and shown the sacrifices so many brave people did for the freedom we all have now
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
Blade

Post by Blade »

I agree and good point bb41. The young need to learn and remmeber the sacrifices and mistakes of the best to help forge a better world for us all.
Blade

Post by Blade »

The little play on the weather forecasting was interesting and something I didn't know. I obviously knew there was a delay but never knew the detail and the lives that were saved by the insistence and confidence of one British weather forecaster in his belief, followed by his confidence to change his opinion again just as quickly as the weather did.

I think alot is owed to that weather man. Going on the 5th as the Amercians were pushing for would have cost many unnnessscary losses of life, but delaying past 24 hours with the brief weather window may have compromised the whole operation and it's secrecy.
bb41

Post by bb41 »

I just found it a little sad, the pride those men had on stage.. I couldn't help feel the emotion they had and think it is important for the young to remember and discuss..

If they are young enough for all other social aspects of life then something of this magnitude should be celebrated to make them appreciate the sacrifices made by their relatives.

My late Dad was serving during the Suez crisis (obviously not in the D Day op OverLord) which I only found out recently and I knew my Nan and Gramp were in the Army during WW2 , and my other Gramp was a POW

I want to shout out how proud I am of all those who participated !!

The weather was new to me , I never knew about that part and good job it wasn't Michael Fish
bb41

Post by bb41 »

I got carried away there... I just feel such emotion during these events
Blade

Post by Blade »

It's an emotional subject for many of us.

Big tough, biker I am, I still shed a tear today and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
bb41

Post by bb41 »

rufty tufty bikers... I was a weeping mess !!! still I'm not bothered what people think... proud , rufty tufty biker with emotional outbursts :)
D41

Post by D41 »

bb41 wrote: I was a little annoyed though, as there is a small primary school where I live , and during the televised remembrance they were having playtime then lunch.

Am I wrong to think that something so important as this should have been included into the days activities ? I felt it a little sad that during this historic occasion the young people, certainly here were not sat down and shown the sacrifices so many brave people did for the freedom we all have now
Yes. No. Maybe....?
At what point do we let it go and move forward?? We're more than two generations beyond WW2....do we keep the commemorations going indefinitely, until they become little more than token lip service??
We're at the point where WW2 is little more than a curiosity to most people.
I'm not saying it's right, but no-one pays any mind to US Civil War memorials any more, and WWI doesn't fair much better....so an end has at some point, surely??
bb41

Post by bb41 »

D41 wrote:
bb41 wrote: I was a little annoyed though, as there is a small primary school where I live , and during the televised remembrance they were having playtime then lunch.

Yes. No. Maybe....?
At what point do we let it go and move forward?? We're more than two generations beyond WW2....do we keep the commemorations going indefinitely, until they become little more than token lip service??
We're at the point where WW2 is little more than a curiosity to most people.
I'm not saying it's right, but no-one pays any mind to US Civil War memorials any more, and WWI doesn't fair much better....so an end has at some point, surely??

It isn't right and it's schools who should always remind the young , how, why, when and who .. no conflict be it right or wrong should ever be glossed over.

What happened to history in schools ??
bb41

Post by bb41 »

...anyway.. I don't want this to go the same way as the "other " thread" I'm just proud of all our veterans both home and abroad
D41

Post by D41 »

Well....look at it from my point of view....you're not the one who has Trump over there "representing" for you.
We should have kept him at home & just sent flowers.
:D (facepalm)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

The best way of remembering those who gave everything is to go and visit the graves and memorials.

Nothing can ever prepare you for that. It’s just the huge number of graves that is so overwhelming.
bb41

Post by bb41 »

duke63 wrote:The best way of remembering those who gave everything is to go and visit the graves and memorials.

Nothing can ever prepare you for that. It’s just the huge number of graves that is so overwhelming.
I sadly have never been, both sets of grand parents and immediate family have long gone but would love to see photographs of your visits .

A very disgruntled family argument between my late mother and her sister meant we could never see his medals.

My Nan got a telegram to say my gramp was missing in action, presumed dead... thankfully ( depending how you look at it ) he wasn't

He never spoke about it or demonstrated his views about how he felt .. I just wish I had taken the time to ask him .. unfortunately he died 33 years ago so his memories died with him.. he had a second wife and she gave all war memorabilia to her family
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Check out my France Facebook photo albums for photos of the places we've been to to remember both world ears
Blade

Post by Blade »

duke63 wrote:The best way of remembering those who gave everything is to go and visit the graves and memorials.

Very true Duke. I took the family on a ww1 and ww2 battfield tour last year. Very enjoyable, humbling and educational experience for all.

Thinking of doing Berlin tour next.
bb41

Post by bb41 »

It must be on my list, I only really get 2 weekends a year off and that depends if we need a vet visit or not , so don't know until the day whether `I can leave or not.

At the minute for the past few weeks the vet has been my day out, if I'm not visiting then I'm on the phone !! Try helping a pig with arthritis.. finally finished his house to accommodate his arthritic leg .. he's Ok and not in pain but he has to have a bit of a hand getting up without human intervention as he can be a grumpy toad .. I really don't want him biting me !!..or anyone else for that matter
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I honesty do believe it's best to forget all the pomp and circumstance we have seen today.

It's important to honour those who were actually there or involved and it was lovely to see the last few at the centre of it but.......

..... no one should ever be in any doubt as to the true nature of what these men did and experienced first hand. The trauma has lasted all their lives.

It wasn't until the Private Ryan film and Band of Brothers series that we got to see and hear some of the true reality of that war, even if what we saw was acting. Machine guns don't just kill people, they do quite literally cut them into two pieces.

One would think that what these men and those 25 years before had been through, would have been enough to ensure it doesn't happen again but sadly not. We never seem to learn.