When there were tribes

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

When there were tribes

Post by Kwacky »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_aud ... s/36070296" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video about a series of photos taken in 1981.

What stands out for me is that you can recognise which youth tribe they belonged to by looking at them. You could probably make a very accurate assessment of their musical tastes from what they wore.

I guess with the ease of access to music and fashion it's all become a bit blurred.
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Re: When there were tribes

Post by kingfixer »

1981 those were the days (y)
very fond memories of growing up and under age drinking and all that and especially with the music of the time.
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Fwiw I missed out on all this era, busy. :(
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

What at time, for sure..... I am just so pleased that the only social media was you hearing all about someone's conquests, mess ups and everything else was down the youth club / pub / park paying football ha ha, no facebook, twitter and all that...I dontt know how things would be now if pictures and posts existed from back then.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Frankie wrote:What at time, for sure..... I am just so pleased that the only social media was you hearing all about someone's conquests, mess ups and everything else was down the youth club / pub / park paying football ha ha, no facebook, twitter and all that...I dontt know how things would be now if pictures and posts existed from back then.
HAHA yes Amen to that!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

+1

It also meant if you did something stupid you could go home and forget about it. Now it's plastered all over the internet and with so many kids having mobile phones there's no respite.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

I was thinking that I might possibly be more aware, but to be honest I did not know my arse from my elbow in the 80's thought I ruled the world.... I think I would be mess now if I could not "go home and forget" about the things that went on ha ha ha
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

It's the whole "coming of age" thing isn't it?? I mean, you've got nothing else to compare it too so you go with whatever 'side' appeals to you..and usually at that age, music seems to be the one thing that both unites and divides teenagers...you've got no telly in your room so all you can do is listen to music....usually plastered with dumbass lyrics pertaining to rebellion.
I mean seriously...has there ever been one heavy metal band EVER who does not have a song called "Back On The Streets"?? Were those buffoons so thrilled at the prospect of homelessness that they had to write about it all the time??

Modern music for the most part is all about image, and very little else.