Wet trackdays

The news and your views about biking
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Wet trackdays

Post by DaytonAndy »

Booked into Oulton next week and so far the prediction is for rain, at least for part of the day. I'm booked into novices for the morning at least so won't be setting any lap records but I might move groups in the afternoon if there's space. Anyway, I'm a little worried about my tyres! I have a nearly new Diablo supercorsa sp on the front and a well used one (maybe 1mm till tread wear indicator in the centre but plenty left on the sides) on the rear. I have a brand new supercorsa sp that could go on the rear but I'm not convinced they are wet trackday tyres? My mate I'm going with has decided not to risk his bike for a wet first trackday and is hiring one so will have wets and warmers.
Should I stick with what I've got on, fit the new rear or fit something else? I've got to ride there so track tyres are out really but I don't mind forking out for a new set of something suitable and changing back to the supercorsa when the sun's out as that's infinitely preferable to the cost of fixing the bike. Or is riding to the track and getting scrubs of some sort fitted at the track an option? There's always a tyre guy at the track and I could throw my tyres in my mates car. Thoughts and advice welcome!
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Wet trackdays

Post by Kwacky »

I would put the new rear on. The tread will be deeper which means it will shift more water.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Personally I would stick the brand new Supercorsa on and head over to the circuit for a great day.

If it rains see the circuit tyre guy for wet scrubs and then change back to your Supercorsa for going home.

Don't base any decision on a forecast as they are often wrong. Turn up and see how it goes and adapt your plan accordingly.
DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

I always thought of the supercorsa as a sunny weather tyre only really? OK on the road where you can baby it along if it rains but that isn't really an option on track. Or am I just being paranoid/misinformed? I'm not going to do anything before Monday when the forecast should be pretty accurate but I want my options ready for then so I'm not panicking!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I've seen people doing good speeds on those in the wet.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I agree with your suggested use of the Supercorsa. Sunny day tyre which may be ok in the damp but wouldn't use in full rain without being very nervous especially at track pace.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:I've seen people doing good speeds on those in the wet.
Actually thinking about it what do the supersport racers use when it's wet ? Do they still ride on Supercorsa?
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I've done loads of track days on supercorsas and its pissed down,I still went out and had fun.Not knee down fun but still got a full session in
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

I'd stick with the old one and ride accordingly. I've run SC01 and SC02s over winters and in the wet and always been surprised how good they were.

You'll know straight away if it doesn't feel right, just back off
Monty™© MCMLXXII
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

depends how wet if there's a dryish line you will be fine the problem would be standing water i would have thought as there not much to disperse it
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

I would pop some wets if I were you mate. (nod) Less expensive than repair parts.

Fyi the first time I ever went to Oulton it was wet, & I was wearing Slippery Corsa's. Despite the fact that I was tottering round in the novices I found it "entertaining".

I uploaded two videos that day, this is the second one I have linked on here today.!

Pretty tedious stuff ( at my age I learn tracks slowly & carefully) so if you are concerned you may fall asleep fast forward to 2.20 or thereabouts for my point. (smirk)
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foJHpjNYRGA[/video]
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I've done that a couple of times on the ZX10 in the dry (blush)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
markrsvr15
Your Bike: aprilia rsvr

Post by markrsvr15 »

Yeah abit slippy there mate. As St Marks said take it steady learn the track conditions build up confidence.
DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

StMarks wrote:...fast forward to 2.20 or thereabouts for my point. (smirk)
[/video]
Good point well made! (lol)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I bet that twitch felt massive when you were on the bike.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I really don't like Supercorsas in the wet, they never seem to be "settled" and tbh if something happens in the wet it normally happens so fast mid corner it's impossible to react quickly enough to stay safe.

Go there, if it's really wet you can watch the first session, see how bad it is and make a plan re scrub wets then. Even if you're at a trackday its not obligatory to go out.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I LOVE supercorsas in the wet!! second favourite tyre..

They're very predictable so long as you bear in mind they're not meant for this weather. I'd have no major concern using them. I went to watch BSB at silverstone a while back using these tyres, they were low on tread and it was pissing down.. exiting a roundabout there was a long left sweeper onto the dual carriageway and I powerslid for the entire corner (nothing like stoner or marquez but it was still a controlled slide)... such a great feeling!!
Monty

Post by Monty »

What's everyones thoughts on the age of SC01 and SC02? I've got two set in the garage that are BSB take offs and about 3 years old. They've been stored in the garage at ambient (Buxton) temperatures/humidities and I've done one track day on each set without tyre warmers.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Blade

Post by Blade »

Someone else may say different but I thought the SC compounds were to be used with warmers and not exposed to heat cycles.

I'm sure they will be OK but maybe not at there best, but if not pushing lap record pace and using as a summer road tyre you maybe fine.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Blade wrote:Someone else may say different but I thought the SC compounds were to be used with warmers and not exposed to heat cycles.

I'm sure they will be OK but maybe not at there best, but if not pushing lap record pace and using as a summer road tyre you maybe fine.
Yeah that's my understanding but do they just get comparatively worse or fall off a wall
Monty™© MCMLXXII