Advice for buying a bike privately

The news and your views about biking
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Advice for buying a bike privately

Post by DaytonAndy »

I'm just after any advice or pointers people might have. I went to have a look at a 675r up for sale locally to me. Apart from a small scratch on the Swingarm the bike looks mint. I haven't test ridden it yet but we've agreed a price and he has no problem with me test riding it if I leave the cash with him. Should I get a receipt of some sort at that point and if so stating what? The bike has finance still owed on it which he was honest about. I said I'd probably prefer to clear that myself so I know it's been done but that obviously doesn't work well with me turning up with cash on the day. The bike is currently stored in his house alongside an rgv250 he's working on and does look really clean. He seems honest and says he's a barrister for what it's worth.
Any advice and questions I should be asking welcomed as my natural paranoia is kicking in. Thanks in advance!
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Advice for buying a bike privately

Post by Kwacky »

Take someone with you who can stay with him. Ask him for proof of his id like a passport or driving licence
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

DaytonAndy wrote:I'm just after any advice or pointers people might have. I went to have a look at a 675r up for sale locally to me. Apart from a small scratch on the Swingarm the bike looks mint. I haven't test ridden it yet but we've agreed a price and he has no problem with me test riding it if I leave the cash with him. Should I get a receipt of some sort at that point and if so stating what? The bike has finance still owed on it which he was honest about. I said I'd probably prefer to clear that myself so I know it's been done but that obviously doesn't work well with me turning up with cash on the day. The bike is currently stored in his house alongside an rgv250 he's working on and does look really clean. He seems honest and says he's a barrister for what it's worth.
Any advice and questions I should be asking welcomed as my natural paranoia is kicking in. Thanks in advance!

With regards to the finance the only way to do it is pay the finance back and give him the remaining cash don't do it any other way. As it is not his bike to sell until that finance is paid and with your self paying it you know its been cleared. i would hpi check it so you know the details of the bike which will confirm the finance but also if its been in an accident. other than that if it looks genuine and good then i see private as good as dealers as they make things up as they go along and charge you for it.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I'm surprised a barrister needs finance to buy a bike.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Why? They're self employed and most don't earn much.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Fair point. I guess my perception of barristers is those who charge silly amounts of cash for one day in court.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

People have the same view of accountants ;)
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Tell me about it. Yep i should have thought before posting it.
DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

Thanks all. I'll find someone to go with me but might have to put off the purchase till next weekend now then :(
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Exactly what Rockets says. INSIST the finance is settled before any sale.

Also consider insurance for a test ride. If you drop it and he is holding your pound notes will he given them you back ? Or has he got your money and the finance have a written of bike they want someone to pay for ??? Could get messy so always be careful.

Never trust anyone your buying from they seem nice but that doesn't mean they are they are strangers you know nothing about. Con artists don't have con artist tattooed on there forehead.

If a seller is genuine with nothing to hide he won't be offended that your cautious and if he is tough luck your not there to make friends, quite the opposite in fact, as your aim as well as buying a mint bike is to upset the seller by making a ridiculous low and offensive offer ;)

There are a few differences buying privately and via a dealer. I think someone mentioned on here the other day. A private seller has to give a description which is accurate with no false information. Basically he can't lie but he also doesn't have a duty to declare everything he knows about the vehicle. On the other hand a dealer has a duty to declare everything he knows about the vehicle so for example can't hide anything back like it's a cat D etc.

Also when a dealer sells you a vehicle it has to be fit for purpose. If you later find out the brakes are shaggled then it's clearly not fit for purpose and the dealer has to either pay for the repairs or give a refund.

Have a read of this link.

http://www.richmond.gov.uk/problems_wit ... cle=122489" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I don't know how they work in UK, but the times I have bought privately here in Australia I have used a bank cheque.You can cancel a bank cheque up to 7 days after its been drawn. One car did have finance on it, so I got him to get a dated payout letter, then had two bank cheques drawn, one for the finance company and one for him. I delivered the cheque to the finance company with him in tow, then handed him his cheque and then took possession of the car. It gave me 7 days grace if anything dodgy became apparent.

And as mechanically apt as I'm feel I am, I always get an independant vehicle inspection carried out. If they aren't happy with that faffing about, it doesn't give me any confidence in the vehicle.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

if it was me i would hold out and go and find one without finance on,there are plenty for sale and things are quiet at them moment so you should be able to find a bargain :)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Think everyone have given good points here mate. Definitely get someone with you and ask for ID if they don't accept the very basics then walk away. Private can be a great way of buying but it also has its downsides just have your whits about you mate.
rocket

Post by rocket »

Dont be put off by finance just make sure you sort out the payments. lots of bike now a days will have finance.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Blade

Post by Blade »

It's true even a lot of dealers will have bought there stock on finance. Common practice and normally shows on the HPI as a stocking agreement. Best advice is always get the finance cleared whether private or trade sale.
DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

Thanks for all the input everyone. Just been for another look and it seems very clean. I'm going to test ride it Saturday morning and then all being well pay off the finance myself and pay him the remaining balance. Saved myself £1000 over dealer price!
DaytonAndy

Post by DaytonAndy »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/le9j272tzteq8 ... 8.jpg?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blade

Post by Blade »

Very nice Andy. Can't wait to see it, always like the 675r 8) proper exotica (y)
rocket

Post by rocket »

nice one andy looks like a weapon
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Looks like a proper race machine. The seat might sting a bit though. (giggle)