What do you want to vent about today?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: What do you want to vent about today?

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:That;s too much for a pair of trainers IMO. I wouldn't pay that for myself.

We've had the same with our lad. He wants named stuff. He saw a nice jacket he wanted for Christmas. £275. No chance. To be fair to him he saved up for it. By the time he had the money he decided he didn't like it any more (facepalm)
Exactly how I feel, but I wanted to sense check my view as thought it maybe I'm just way out of touch, as his mum is more for getting them.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I think your right to question it.

We had a ££ limit on Christmas and Birthdays with ours, they then had think hard what they wanted and if they needed it. Sometimes they changed their mind, but kids being able to have whatever they want sets them up badly for life imo.

Not the lads fault the trainers went up in price, but i'd explain it to him and he needs to find something else - that's life.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Exactly how we are trying to raise them both Cookie (y)

I m softening a little and may say you can either a, have the other ones we looked at (his second choice) which are £105 in adult size after some discount (RRP £115) or b, he pays the difference from his own money to upgrade to his first choice.

I m thinking it gives him the responsibility of managing his money and thinking wisely about what he does with his spends, but still allowing the option to get something if he really wants, but only by making sacrifices to achieve such which is a valuable life skill to learn.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

Lazy bastard photographers in motogp
I'm looking at some shots Cal posted on FB , honestly anyone who knows anything about photography could have taken those shots , If I set the camera up anyone on this forum would have got similar results , no imagination and just plain lazy , it irks me all the more knowing they are on fantastic money and travelling the world and I'm working my arse off for a pittance in comparison . It does make me feel a bit better when I can see my trackday customers looking faster than motogp riders in the photo's .

I don't shoot at such low shutter speeds all the time but I always show some movement
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I think I said a while back that I love the way you present an image of speed with your photos.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Blade wrote:Exactly how we are trying to raise them both Cookie (y)

I m softening a little and may say you can either a, have the other ones we looked at (his second choice) which are £105 in adult size after some discount (RRP £115) or b, he pays the difference from his own money to upgrade to his first choice.

I m thinking it gives him the responsibility of managing his money and thinking wisely about what he does with his spends, but still allowing the option to get something if he really wants, but only by making sacrifices to achieve such which is a valuable life skill to learn.
When my oldest lad was at the same stage your lad sounds like Blade, we had a book running, he'd do oddjobs around the house, mow the grass, help me creosote the fence, hoover etc etc. We put the hours worked into the book at national minimum hourly rate and then if he wanted named brands we ante'd up for the basic version and then his book credit paid the difference. Life lessons were learned on several occasions and he spends money wisely now as a Dad and house owner. I'm not saying this is the only way, but it worked for both him and ourselves.

Fwiw MiniGee is completely different (as kids are), not interested in brands at all, and would rather go to the rugby than have a name on anything he wears.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cheers Deegee (y) We can afford the money but don't want to spoil them with material items. We want to be sensible parents and teach our children skills and responsibilities they can hopefully take into adult lift, but there is a balance between being mean and strict and sensible and fair, and that's what we want to get right.

Good to sense check though, as with most things its a balance and its good to have reassurance the balance is right...ish (y)

Thanks for the help to all that commented. Cheers guys (y)
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

£155?? The Blade I know wouldn’t settle for the asking price.

Maybe the true father/son life lesson would be to say “if you can talk them down 25% and make them cry, they are yours” (giggle)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Haha I wish. There £155 everywhere I've looked and no one has them in the sale anywhere, as I think they've just come out. Probably also the high price makes them seen as more exclusive and desirable.

I can do a little Blade dealing though, as can get 10% off for student discount.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

People who start talking to you when you're clearly in the middle of something.

Look pal, I've got a desk full of papers, I'm typing away and I've not once acknowledged your existence.

So piss off.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

.......That would be the point at which I'd pull up a chair & sit down. :D
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

New Cross Hospital having to have much of its cladding replaced as it apparently has the same cladding as Grenfell.

Why are the people who sold and/or tested this stuff not in prison?
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

duke63 wrote:New Cross Hospital having to have much of its cladding replaced as it apparently has the same cladding as Grenfell.

Or at least having to foot the bill.....
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

duke63 wrote:New Cross Hospital having to have much of its cladding replaced as it apparently has the same cladding as Grenfell.

The inquiry is still in progress, correct?
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

My HJC visor is failing (stress cracks coming up from the latch), only bought the helmet in November and it's not had that much use, in the mucky weather I have still been using the old Shoei.

Back to the shop on Wednesday and see what they say, other than that I like the helmet.
Attachments
20190407_190619-2.jpg
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Stonesie wrote:My HJC visor is failing (stress cracks coming up from the latch), only bought the helmet in November and it's not had that much use, in the mucky weather I have still been using the old Shoei.

Back to the shop on Wednesday and see what they say, other than that I like the helmet.
I have the same issue on my visors too. My tinted one got a chunk missing (what you have will eventually be a chunk missing) and my clear one has a single crack from the latch. HJC need to improve that I think

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I was taking to the guy in the shop when I was looking at lids the other week and he mentioned this as I was trying on an HJC.

He said only use the center lock to unclip the visor, don't push on it to actually open the visor up as the causes then to fail. He did say the newer lids had a slightly revised catch.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

My HJC is about 5 or 6 years old, the natural position of my thumb means it is half on the latch and half on the visor when pushing it up.. never had an issue with cracking.

Simple design fix though - increase the size of the radius beneath the catch for stress relief
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Finding that executors of wills want to charge 5% of the Gross estate value for doing it.

And also finding out the MiL is being ripped off for the cost of her gas, elec and phone. Why is there no law against and compensation for this? They should be legally obliged to provide the customer with the best rate for them. ****!
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

Trying to sort out the car insurance, why can't insurance company's send a reasonable renewal quote. I'm currently with a broker and they say that they have tried their hardest, but 5 mins on compare the market saves me £50 or for the same price I get a way better level of cover, lazy broker.

Closed today too... A job for next week.