SPOILERS: Star Wars- Force Awakens

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

SPOILERS: Star Wars- Force Awakens

Post by Kwacky »

Great film, going back to the Saturday matinee movies Lucas was looking for when he did the first film.

This is very very similar to A New Hope. Good v evil, light sabre fights, death stars, dropping shields, the dark master and his henchman.

Very well written, the old cast blending in seamlessly with the new main characters. Effects are very good without going over the top, JJ has toned it down from Star Trek.

I'm very surprised I didn't burst into tears when one of the main characters died. But it seemed right in the film and the actor has hinted at it a few times.

So all in all it's back to back for the star wars empire m
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Re: SPOILERS: Star Wars- Force Awakens

Post by StMarks »

Kwacky wrote:.....I'm very surprised I didn't burst into tears when one of the main characters died........
IMHO that is one of the curses of being "grown up"; We are indoctrinated into believing that "Big boys don't cry" FFS.
Next time relax, go with it & don't fight back the tears. You'll probably enjoy it far more, & it will be far better for you psychologically mate. (nod)

I keep getting messages from mates who have been to see it, and enjoyed it.
I may have to go myself at this rate. Like Avatar, I suspect this will have a better impact on the big screen.??
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I do cry. I don't mind having a cry. With the film I didn't feel the death, if that makes sense? I cry at the end of Gladiator because he's been through so much and he's going back to his family. I guess with Solo he's always looked after himself.

Today I watched it in 2d. Tomorrow I'll see it in 3D on an IMAX screen. It worked in 2D.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Ok, sorry, my mistake. I misunderstood what you meant by; nearly.

Please tell me if the 3D makes a substantial difference, and I'll plan accordingly.

My baby brother is coming over from Spain for Christmas & New Year. He's about the right age to have been the original target audience of the original one so maybe I'll get to see it with him & my little Spanish nephew.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I picked up loads watching it for a second time.

The 3D is amazing but I'll stick my neck out and say it's not a film you have to watch in that format, but I'm very glad I did. Seeing it in both formats is probably the best way to go so if 3D is available go and see it.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

It's a good film - I'm glad they didn't go over the top with the effects. It was just a well polished, well written film that was more like the original 3 films.

I see there are various family trees flying around on the internet - is Rey Laia's daughter or Lukes?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

No one knows.

Luke seemed to recognise her. I was wondering if she was at the academy when the Knights of Ren hit? Luke managed to smuggle her away, which is why she ended up on that planet. It would also explain why her powers came on quickly.

Or

She's the prophecy that they thought Anakin was going to be. No father and very strong in the force.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Ooooh, the plot thickens....
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

I've been itching to read this thread. Went to watch it with my padawan...er, son this morning, a nice early start for a Maccy's breakfast before a 0810 showing. We decided to go for the 3D IMAX jobber. Glad we did, it does immerse you somewhat but the 3D glasses begin to hurt after a while. The boy didn't like them that much either.

But the film.

Wow.

Took me back to my childhood for sure.
Cav

Post by Cav »

This is why I don't watch films in 3D, besides the bad ones making me feel sick, the glasses hurt. I have to keep taking them off to avoid headaches too so there's really no point.

I just wish the cinema projectors were better quality - they say they're 4K but I don't believe it.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

im going back to watch it in 2d
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

I've just ordered it pre-release on iTunes. Cracking film really enjoyed it and will try and go and see it again over Christmas.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Watched it last night in 3d at Stafford. I've only seen a couple of movies in 3d and didn't really enjoy it, but this seemed really good in 3d.

Going back to watch it on 28th at Walsall showcase. So will be interesting to see if its a better experience. Stafford is a bit dated.

Film wise I thought it was maybe the best one yet. The only gripe I would have is it is almost the exact same plot/story as a new hope, with a little return of the jedi.

I thought the main bad guy on the throne was a giant at first too, lol.

I'm glad a lot of the orginals weren't in it too much. Especially C3Po and R2d2. I'm sick of seeing them to be honest.

And Han dieing was a shame, but he looked a bit slow to be able to still be going around as a rogue fighting legions of storm troopers. Probably best to end his adventure.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Ford wanted Solo killed off in Return of the Jedi but Lucas blocked that.

It's very much a new New Hope, I think JJ has made sure it pleases the old fans after the disasters of 1 to 3.

When Star Wars was penned the idea was to have the tale told by 2 main characters. Yep, R2D2 and C3P0 are those two. If JJ is to keep that going R2D2 and C3P0 should be in the next two films.