Cav's ZX6R Review

The news and your views about biking
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Cav's ZX6R Review

Post by Cav »

I've always wanted to give this a go so here goes nothing!

I purchased my bike on a snowy January day 4 years ago next month. I was a day over 18 and it felt like I'd won the jackpot when I handed over £4500 for a clean example 2009 ZX6R with 12,000 miles on the clock in Kawi Lime Green. My previous bike was a characterful but unaccomplishing 'pointy' Suzuki SV650S. I learned a lot on that machine and got into some trouble but it was the turning point in my biking career. I crashed more times than I care to remember on my 125 2 smoker and riding a big bike made me respect the road much more.

After a couple of rides I regretted my purchase; it was characterless, gutless and I simply didn't enjoy it; and although I never let on to anyone that I was feeling this - I truly hated the bike. It took me a good 6 months before I started to press on with the bike and I'll never forget the first time I gave it full throttle past 10,000 RPM - HOLY MOTHER OF **** !!! It was like riding a rocket. The power delivery was elegant, climbing up through the revs effortlessly until I wimped out, the sound of the engine was so smooth and the suspension starting to absorb bumps. This was when I realised the bike NEEDS to be 'ridden' to get the most out of it.

My old Suzuki's brakes were like milk carton lids and the suspension as useful in support as a bottle of rum to a recovering alcoholic - it would have been better if it wasn't there. In comparison, the first time I really hauled on the brakes with the Kawasaki I lost my grip on the bars and head-butted the windscreen - I'm glad no one was around to see it!

After subtle tweaks to the suspension I got the bike working for me - all about the front end and I can control the rear with the throttle. Modifications were all cosmetic to start with including a tail tidy and white headlight bulbs then came the crash protectors, de-cat headers, braided lines, sintered brembo brake pads and a Racefit Growler. At this point is was time for my first trackday.

The setting was Pembrey in South Wales - a very small track more suited to a 400cc bike. I'd fitted a set of Racetec K3 tyres and went out for the first session in Novice. WOW! The bike was amazing, Braking from 140-ish into 1st gear for the 30mph right hand turn 1 the bike was weaving around and settled perfectly as I turned in. Pin the throttle and change up to 2nd as I chucked it in for turn 2, my knee slamming into the deck. Change direction and into 3rd, hold the throttle until the exit is visible then pin the throttle all the way to turn 4 - the bike pumped through the exit and the rear was out of alignment with the front. Chop the throttle to stand the bike up, turn in again for the second left-hander then pin the throttle for the next right. Trail braking with my knee carving the pavement the Metzeler front tyre was incredible - I never knew you could behave like this on a road tyre! Standing the bike up then banging down a gear for the hairpin onto the fastest part of the circuit, keep your knee up to avoid the horrendous curb on the inside that would take your knee, elbow and face off it given half a chance. Drive out of the corner banging 3rd as the bike comes upright into 4th then 5th for the kink, hold it on a neutral throttle at a little over 140mph, knee kissing the curb, then stand the bike up and drop to 3rd for the last corner - a tricky off camber corner that drags you to the outside of the turn then into a full tuck down the start finish straight to do it all again.

What I learned about the bike in that first day was invaluable. You can get away with so much and the bike mollycoddles you and your errors - it's easy to ride. The chassis is precise yet forgiving, the brakes are unbelievable and the front suspension is bloody good!

Moving forward from there I knew more changes were to be made to the bike in order for me to ride it better - footrests and gearing. I was grinding pegs and boots on the tarmac and this needed to change. Raising the footrests a couple of inches gave me the required ground clearance and it also helped me to hang off the bike further which helps keep the bike more upright - a more upright bike means you stay on the fatter part of the tyre for longer which means you have more grip at lean. These changes proved very positive coupled with a 60 profile rear tyre and a 5mm shim in the shock to help get the bike to 'turn on its nose' better.

I went +3 on the rear to help counteract the larger profile tyre and a little extra for improved acceleration - the result, first gear power wheelies out of Turn 1. Ooooh it was fun.

In a nutshell the bike is brilliant. The engine is crisp and powerful on track, the gearbox is slick, the brakes are brilliant without tweaks but immense with them, the forks are superb units but the shock suffers on track with overheating and lack of adjustment once warm.

All in all, the 2009 ZX6R is a brilliant bike and despite my early detest for it, this was the best purchase I ever made.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Cav's ZX6R Review

Post by Kwacky »

Nice write up that.

I hadn't ridden my zx6r for a while as I had been spending time on the zx6r. the 6r felt slow at first, I forgot you have to give it some stick.

I love the sound of mine from the airbox when you're wringing its neck.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Thanks mate, it's a long post but hopefully it isn't a bore to read.

Yes - the induction noise is amazing! It really sings past 12k. I love having the GoPro on the bottom of the windscreen as you get that noise in the footage!

It really is gutless below about 8k, it's why I would want a 1000 for the road
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It's not gutless for an IL4 600. You had an SV650 twin before, so you got used to the low down grunt. (puts on patronising old man voice) Look son, I've had 600s since you were using boobs for food not pleasure ;) . The old 600s really did have nothing at all below 7 or 8k revs. These new zx6rs have grunt compared to the older versions. You can pull away in 2nd on our machines, when the previous generation 600s needed 5000 revs to even think about letting you leave in 1st.

But all of the fun is higher up in the rev range.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Meh ;) Maybe i'm just spoiled then haha.

I'm seriously considering going all out and financing an RSV4-RF next year... For a road and occasional track bike that would be amazing.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Good luck with the insurance on that.
Cav

Post by Cav »

So you have a reference my ZX6R cost me £314 to renew this year with 6 years NCB and IAM qualification.

Have a guess at how much an RSV4 will cost and I'll do a quote to let you know..
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Great write up Cav. I loved my 6R too even if it was only for a few months! Would love to have another on all honesty.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I'm going for double on the Prila.
Cav

Post by Cav »

If it was double I'd do it Kwacky - I'm betting £2k, watch this space

Thanks Rossgo! They're an absolute weapon mate, I love mine but for the road it's similar to a 2 stroke (flat out or go home)
Cav

Post by Cav »

HA! MCE (who currently insure me) want £3460... admittedly that's with 5 years NCB because I'm not yet old enough to have 6 years NCB but still.

I think the bike will be staying in the showroom !!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I thought the quote I was given for the SX from my insurers at the time was bad - £1,000

I'm pretty much certain 5 years discount is the most they'll give.

I do wonder about modern day insurance companies. My mate's 19 year old son has been quoted £7,300 for TPFT on a 15 year old Fiesta.
Cav

Post by Cav »

I have a 12 year old fiesta and that was about £400 with 1 years NCB but I was 20 when I first insured it.

I paid £1000 for the ninja for the first year TPFT too, £500 fully comp for the second year
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

nice write up,great little track pembery
wait till you ride a zx10r Cav its like a 600 on HGH :D
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

He needs to get his lap times down and half decent, Perks before he tries a man's bike (giggle)
Cav

Post by Cav »

Blade wrote:He needs to get his lap times down and half decent, Perks before he tries a man's bike (giggle)
Haha - too true! :P

Pembrey is a great track to learn, like Mallory it's short so you get plenty of laps to practice!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Me and Perkles know someone who had a massive smash at Pembrey. He's never ridden since. His head injury caused him a load of problems.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Yea on a thou :\
Cav

Post by Cav »

That's not good...

Pembrey's where my mate crashed on a Gixxer thou. He's recovered pretty well now though. Was a nasty crash entering turn 1 and someone cut across his line
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I think it was the hairpin where Gareth crashed.