Abuse of employees rights

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Abuse of employees rights

Post by duke63 »

Yet another big company shown to see staff as cattle fodder purely to make money at their expense.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35058974" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its astonishing how big business seems to call all the shots when it comes to running the economy. They seem able to run roughshod over every employment and tax law out there whilst small business has to comply with everything and those who don't are punished and in some cases even shamed in the media.
duke63

Re: Abuse of employees rights

Post by duke63 »

I'm not quite sure why you would want to nick any of the shite Sportsdirect sell though unless they are being searched to make sure they don't bring it back later.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Zero hours contracts and agency contract are a great way to avoid any responsibility for your staff. Employers save a fortune by using them and staff have next to no rights.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Shrinkage must be presumably an increasingly problematic issue for companies, directly proportionate to how rewarded/valued their staff feel.?

I guess that there must be a point where it becomes so expensive to manage a mistreated workforce, that it actually becomes cheaper to improve their employment conditions/remuneration.?

Having said that, the Fat Controller looks like he's doing ok in that picture. :?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Low skilled staff are easily replaced. I'm reasonably certain if someone leaves a job they're not entitled to benefits, so they're stuck.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Many of the biggest well know companies only use staff they hire through an agency. They don't actually employ them. So basically those workers have little rights, no job security and the company don't have to pay any pension contributions. Shameful really.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

But the company pays the agency a much higher hourly rate. Madness.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I think its there way of taking on no responsibility for any staff as its the agency's problem, not theirs and they can stop using them at any point they so wish, with no liability at all.

I was shocked to learn of some the companies who do this including big players in the UK automotive industry.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Some of the car companies have a member of the agency company sited in their office to make it easier to hire and fire agency workers.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

JLR use manpower for all its line workers who are on zero hour contracts
Sprinty Nige
Your Bike: Triumph Sprint ST 1050 - both an 08 and a 12 plate! + YBR 125 hack

Post by Sprinty Nige »

Well as someone who was a temporary worker until Oct this year, I have a bit of knowledge., this is how it was for me...

* 6am to 2pm daily, paid minimum wage
- Not paid for my two 20 min breaks
- can be 'let go' at any time
+ Holiday pay accrues as you work
+ I could leave for a better job anytime, no 28 days notice
+ After 13 weeks you are entitled to the same pay and benefits as the permanent staff.
You are expected to pick up the job and work just as well as the permanent staff, but without all the added benefits and greater pay.
As is often the way, at 12 weeks I was let go so they didn't have to stump up the extra!

<Rant> I ring up the working tax people the day I finish and they give me four weeks 'roll on' to help me out. However, the dole take it all straight off the money they pay, so what is the point? It's just a waste of admin time and effort which costs us all in our taxes! </Rant>

But all this aside i'd rather be working than shirking, and the company I was at actually want to employ me next financial year.

Nige
2012 Sprint ST 1050 ridden badly all year. All opinions are my own, as are my teeth and hair ;)
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I just cant see how any of this is building a worthwhile society.

And once again, if small companies try and use subcontracted staff all the time when they should be employees, HMRC come down on them hard. One rule for the wealthy, another for all those who make them wealthy.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

In my opinion, Its as simple as this. Companies take the piss and don't care for the workers because of they did they would hire full time staff, not this
Zero hour contracts. How can anyone have a life when they don't know if they will be earning anything or not. I think that's really wrong of our government allowing this yet allowing foreigners to come in and take jobs when they can't provide for our own. How messed up is that. No wonder why welfare is number one paid for from our tax and education is almost half of that.

I've known people work through agencies and the companies promise everything because they need them to work and when it gets to the nitty gritty they just turn their back on them and say why have you even turned up...we don't need you anymore! It's just a joke

Country needs to wake up to it in my opinion
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Its why leaving the EU would be a disaster for the ordinary person. At least they try to protect some workers rights.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

The way Cameron is dealing with the 'renegotiation' and the referendum I can't see the UK staying in Europe.

The renegotiation is a sham to try and cover what will be very little change. I can't say I'm a labour voter, but the current path of the U.K. Is going too far.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

People were blind to the excellent job the Liberals did holding the Tories in check last term.

Now we're seeing how far to the right they've gone.

The UK is turning into a mini America.