What did you do to your bike today ??

The news and your views about biking
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: What did you do to your bike today ??

Post by Blade »

C00kiemonster wrote:
Blade wrote:Fitted the Ohlins steering damper and looking good 8)
Tut tut...

(ttiwwp)
Here you go Cookie. Better late than never.
20190917_140303-3830x1812.jpg
Blade

Post by Blade »

Itchy wrote:
Blade wrote: Test rides in order Itchy.
Yes. Yes they are.

I'll probably wait though, a new bike probably won't happen until I leave the RAF in 3 years time. Unless I accidentally buy one!
Nah get a PCP deal and treat your daughter to a new ride. Tell the missus it's your daughters safety driving the change ;)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Blade wrote:
Rossgo wrote:
Blade wrote:Sounds great Rossgo (y)

There are some lovely places in Wales. Where are you going too?
Just north of Aberystwyth basically on the outskirts of Snowdonia. From there we will explore the National Park from south to north. We had 2 options either north of Snowdonia of south of it. We picked south because from there we are pretty centralised and can explore anywhere we like :D
D41 wrote:Take her to Anglesey Circuit, Ross. (raaar)
I'm planning too.....she doesn't know this yet though haha

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
What's the name of the site Rossgo?

Theres one we pass on ride outs heading north out of Aber. Big eagle at the entrance. Looks nice.
We are in Borth

Here's a couple of screen shots of it

It's not the best park we've been on to. Think we have been away on to a caravan site once a year for the last 11 years (bar last year due to wedding taking up our funds). This place is ok, don't think we would come back here to be honest.

It's called Brynowen Holiday Park. Like I say it's not the best but beauty about caravan is it's not about where you staying its abouts what's around you and here you certainly have a lot. ImageImage

D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Froze my nuts off. It was 4 degrees when I left this morning, heated grips on full all the way.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

It was cold this way as well. I've still not put my liners in my kit but it's getting tempting.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cold here too. Low grip and ironically having to push on to generate some heat in the supercorsas (happy)
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Blade wrote:having to push on
Honestly officer.. it's the tyres. I had to! (angel)
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cav wrote:
Blade wrote:having to push on
Honestly officer.. it's the tyres. I had to! (angel)
Dont worry Cav, I managed to warm them up in the end :P
20190918_140828-1812x3829.jpg
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

Rossgo wrote:We are in Borth

It's not the best park we've been on to. Think we have been away on to a caravan site once a year for the last 11 years (bar last year due to wedding taking up our funds). This place is ok, don't think we would come back here to be honest.

It's called Brynowen Holiday Park. Like I say it's not the best but beauty about caravan is it's not about where you staying its abouts what's around you and here you certainly have a lot. ImageImage

What a small world. We went there 6 years ago. Judging by your comments not much has changed!
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Itchy wrote:
Rossgo wrote:We are in Borth

What a small world. We went there 6 years ago. Judging by your comments not much has changed!
ImageImage the area is nice but I can't imagine them changing...well anything at the park! When you compare other sites to this, this one is certainly lacking!! Pretty certain nothing has changed here apart from lining in the bedrooms within those 6 years ImageImage

Itchy

Post by Itchy »

Evaluating things with it.

Long post incoming...

I took the bike out today. An impromptu look out of the window and a desire to make the most of the good weather put the idea in my head, and after dropping my daughter off at a friend's house I came back, wheeled the beast out of the garage and had a couple of hours playtime.

I didn't post up on here as a) I had about an hour's notice and didn't think there would be any pick-up, and b) I felt like some alone time.

Sometimes you don't feel like riding with anyone else. Today was one of those days. I didn't know what speed I'd be doing, how hard I'd be going, I was just going to play it by ear. And as the sat nav took me down some back roads from the 1970s I'm pretty glad I wasn't spanking it! Into Bridgnorth and straight onto the B4364, a semi-regular playground for me & Kwacky. All was well at first, but then got caught up behind 3 bikes who'd got caught up behind some cars. The first of the bikes wasn't particularly interested in overtaking and the one at the back wasn't the most confident (even less so than me). Anyone who knows the road knows that there aren't many easy overtaking opportunities when caught behind traffic.

Unless you're Kwacky, of course, who manages to make gaps appear where there clearly weren't before, creating magic space like some kind of weaver of the road/space continuum!

Whilst I was back there, lamenting the fact that I hate overtaking bikes in case it goads people into trying to race me (which I am totally not into), I found myself getting more and more frustrated. I'm not the quickest in the corners but even I was muttering "come on, FFS" into my helmet. Finally a place to overtake happened and I found myself hanging back, waiting for him to overtake, and he still didn't. Which led to me doing it, and the next three cars at a ridiculous pace. (sweat) And then the road was mine for the next 5 miles.

Off the 4364 and left onto the A4117. Wider roads, more visibility, better roads for me and perhaps a waste of the Zed's talents, but I felt much more comfortable. Then through Clee Hill village and after about an hour of riding I thought I'd have a little break...
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed.jpg
...and during my break I had a little wander over to have a look at this somewhat battered toposcope...
unnamed (1).jpg
...it's nothing to do with biking, I just like these!

10 minutes later and I'm off again, carrying on across the A4117 and then back towards Bridgnorth, this time going up the B4363. Kwacky, I'm not sure if you've done this road before, it's similar to the B4364. But I didn't enjoy it. The lack of visibility around corners really hampers my confidence/ability, and the shade from the trees in places really affects the ability to read some bends. Ended up caught behind another bike caught behind some cars. This wasn't as bad as before, after a minute or two we got the opportunity to overtake and we did. The chopper wasn't going too fast, and I got excited...

(bandit)

However, I then felt the need to hustle, to get away from the scary chopper. But as with all rides, I get excited, be a straight line hero, and then 50p my way around the corner. And then it hit me...

All the journey I'd been wondering how a different bike would have handled this ride and these roads. I was thinking that an adventure bike would have soaked up these bumps better, something with taller bars would have let me get round that bend easier, pretty much a ride of me making excuses. Until I pogoed my way around another corner and realised that although I want another bike, it's training I need. I've done it before, and it worked, but my lack of usage has led to a degradation in skills. So no point in doing it this year, anything I learn I'll lose over the winter. Next year though, might give the i2i boys a call.

Or sort a trackday.

Or both.

Ooh, or some off-roading.

But more biking, whatever happens.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Nice little write up.

I think my time commuting means I'm happy with over takes. On my IAM test my examiner commented on my doing an overtake 3 minutes into my test.

I have been down the road you mention, which is why I don't use it too often. There's a fair bit of farm traffic as well certain times of the year so there can be mud about.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Yes nice read, I agree sometimes that solo ride is needed for sure. As you say you do t know what your intention is going to be.

I did the same yesterday, planned to meet an old mate to chew the fat, down at Newlands Corner (Surrey) not seen for a while, and like you I did not post this one up as it was a catch up and some personal conversation, which would not happen if others he didn't not know where there I am sure.

As a side I had to laugh, at Newlands there has been plans to try and make bikes pay to park, as it is, there is a special area for bikes, with a massive wording on the ground saying "motorcycle parking" then there is a section where is is also signed with logo and words, disabled access. Geezer rides in with Ducati, parks ride in the acess zone for disabled, bearing in mind that every single bike there is in the place where you are supposed to be. Then a new RSV4 turns up, and does the same, ha ha funny enough they are obviously pals, then 15 mins later a Tuono turns up and does the same (facepalm) ffs! All they need Is an excuse to say motorcycles have abused the parking situation and we all suffer, there really are some selfish twats out there, let alone the disruption for a disabled person trying to get past.

Oh yeah and to top it, your having a private conversation and these people plonk themselves down on the table your at, and just butt in about something when you are talking - telling us about something total unrelated to what I was talking about, as I had not finished what I was saying, but just butted in anyway and proceeded to go on about something totally unlreated !!!! (swear)

Anyway back to the ride, left me mate, left them (gah) and rather than heading home which was the plan, as I really really needed to work in the garden, it has been totally avoided for various reasons, I had a little play....

Trafffic was horrible everywhere, still managed a bit of fun, getting to know the bike, it may been the same model as before, but its feels different in every way. Then finally bit the bullet headed home and gardened before the rain planned for Sunday.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Good write up, Itchy. The B4363 is harder work than the 4364 . You really need a clear road and then it works well.

There is another road that does a similar route back that starts in Craven Arms and ends up back near Bridgnorth near Morville. It's my favourite of the three as it's a bit more open with clearer views ahead.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I'll add my short trip yesterday.

I decided to have a trip up to the Triumph factory to walk round the museum and have some lunch as there is a decent cafe there.

I looked at the map beforehand to have an idea of a decent route but took no satnav or maps .

Unsurprisingly I got a bit lost but they were some nice quiet B roads and I knew I would end up somewhere I knew in any direction so just enjoyed the ride. The Street is made for roads like this, twisting, turning, sometimes sweeping bends , other times sharp 90 degrees. Great fun.

Eventually I ended up back on the A5 and got to the factory just as Motogp qualifying was starting on the big screen in the cafe. Time for lunch. Nice lunch served by a very attractive lady.

Watched qualifying, had a walk round the museum, some nice stuff in there, sat having a cup of tea outside the cafe in the sun and then headed home.

Again got a bit lost on some nice roads and with the fuel gauge down to 9 miles left just made it in to Tamworth to refuel. Only managed to get 14 litres into a supposedly 17 litre empty tank.

But a good ride out on probably the last very warm day of the season .

I am really enjoying the Street. It is a fantastic motorcycle. Light and probably as agile as any bike I have ridden.
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

duke63 wrote: There is another road that does a similar route back that starts in Craven Arms and ends up back near Bridgnorth near Morville. It's my favourite of the three as it's a bit more open with clearer views ahead.
Sounds like my kind of road!
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Just looked it up on the map. It's the B4368.
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

duke63 wrote:Just looked it up on the map. It's the B4368.
I did the same, but I was only guessing at the number. Hopefully there will still be some dry days left this year!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It's that time again where I use the big AT.

Filtering on that thing shouldn't be possible, but it's a riot.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:It's that time again where I use the big AT.

Filtering on that thing shouldn't be possible, but it's a riot.
Same with the GS, it's wrong how easy it is to squeeze through the traffic. The high riding position does help a lot though as you can plan ahead really easily.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti